Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: visibility of black holes changed?

visibility of black holes changed?

I am back to Elite, after a long pause and wondering what happen to Black Holes.

The last 20-30 Black Holes Iíve seen in the past days (after long pause of the game but still deep in space), are unspectacular like a black pixel on the screen. Totally invisible if not targeted. No light bending etc. When I played before (last years) they looked like the picture below.

Is it changed now or am I just unlucky that I found only (that many) black holes that are invisible at all now?

The 'visibility' of BHs hasn't changed.

If you play with them and some nebulae and the Milky Way in the background, though, you can get some spectacular screenies out of it.

Picture of the V1487 Aquilae micro quasar.

Originally Posted by Andrew Gaspurr View Post (Source)
    The 'visibility' of BHs hasn't changed.

If you play with them and some nebulae and the Milky Way in the background, though, you can get some spectacular screenies out of it.

Picture of the V1487 Aquilae micro quasar.
    What a sight!

Are you sure? I know about them to play with but mine are just only black - and not one, plenty of them. No lense effect at all to play with etc.
    Wondering if my gfx autosettings changed maybe?

But good to know that its not changed at all and should work at least. thx

PS: Ok, made it now at the next BH (was only 4 jumps) and got it. It just need a lightning background (makes sense ) and it works. This time at least when I was 100km close to it.

Btw. How close is it save to go to a BH? o.O

The closer to the core you are the more apparent the lensing effect.
    Can't bend anything if there is nothing to be bent.
    Near the core there is allways at least a visible bending sphere around the black hole:

Eskimo Cocktail:

-----

The Magellanic Cloud seen through a BH lensing effect:

Ok, got it. Mine look similar (below). Just thought its a bit low since Sag A etc, I remember was much better to see. But ya, the background matters

Thx guys

(red Galaxy fog behind)

Originally Posted by Neokortex View Post (Source)
    This time at least when I was 100km close to it.

Btw. How close is it save to go to a BH? o.O
    The closest I can remember going is 9 metres.

I remember hearing that it changed a bit a couple years ago or so, but not since then that I've heard of. I'm really just hoping we get some occasional accretion disks eventually. I think that'd be awesome. Anyway, I'll keep some tabs on it when I can. Cheers.

Accretion disks might be tricky to navigate through when you play with the lensing effect

Originally Posted by WR3ND View Post (Source)

Is that ED screenshot? o.O

I would be keen to test the maximum distance but only after I dropped my scandata
    Maybe I should not have seen last night the movie Interstellar - where they flight into the BH

Originally Posted by Neokortex View Post (Source)
    Is that ED screenshot? o.O

Maybe one day, but no, just wishful thinking for now.

Highly dependent on background and other light sources. The distortion lens can be maneuvered to great affect to create interesting angles for images. Areas with lower star density and low light usually end up being rather dull.

Originally Posted by Junosulyn View Post (Source)
    Highly dependent on background and other light sources. The distortion lens can be maneuvered to great affect to create interesting angles for images. Areas with lower star density and low light usually end up being rather dull.
    The screens look great and maybe I should be more brave to go closer to them. I just rushed once into a BH while I started FSD emergency break saved me but I remember I had dmg problems after.
    Since then, I try to keep em away but seeing this pictures... hmmm

I thought that they upped the game for black holes. I am currently on a tripple a system hunt and see a lot of them. The other day I was amazed by the lensing of a bh with 50 solmasses. It bent the background from 60,000ls away! And not just a bit, that was like how I remember saga*. Cant remember similar lensing in Maia during the great unknown artefact hunt. So overall, for me, black holes became more interesting visually. Totally different from ops observation.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast