Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Buckyball Racing Club presents: The Race to the Poles - Polar Ship Fram Celebration. 14-22 July 3304

Originally Posted by AkenBosch View Post (Source)
    Sorry to play again the nit-picker part Inodoro , but to be honest to Sulu, even though he may not be a BRC maniacregular as me or others, I'm pretty sure he has had quite his share of Buckyball antics already.
    You're completely correct... this is Cmdr Ikaru Sulu's fifth race. Already corrected in the daily update... Thanks!

Two runs in Extreme Explorer (Unlimited) Class for the Friday update! (better do it early before getting intoxicated incapacitated)

The action started in the evening; Cmdr Ikaru Sulu (5 races) switched to his "Sports Asp" (only the 1E Cargo Rack were not engineered...), and flew it to a new run, doing 34:22 after applying the Honour Bonus, improving 3:42 over his previous time. The submitted evidence shows his determination to destroy his ship hard-landing outside the assigned pad keep improving his times.
    Cmdr Samwel Drakhyr finalized the engineering of his "Black Maria" DBX, and took it to a new run. The differences with the T-6 is quite noticeable, the sluggish scooping is clearly offset by the jump capacities of the controversial DBX; making an excellent time of 22:35, positioning him in the third place, only six seconds behind Cmdr Alec Turner. Drakhyr report that this was a "getting used to the DBX" run, and those seconds can be shaved with a more aggressive scooping/charging (but not letting the cargo hatch to get incontinent).

Breakfast today...

My favorite coffee mug, from a visit (many years ago) to the Frammusset

Congrats to Commanders Alec Turner and Aken B for wining with their presentations to the Design A Holo-Screen Advert contest!

o7 commanders

Originally Posted by Inodoro Pereyra View Post (Source)
    Cmdr Samwel Drakhyr finalized the engineering of his "Black Maria" DBX, and took it to a new run. The differences with the T-6 is quite noticeable, the sluggish scooping is clearly offset by the jump capacities of the controversial DBX; making an excellent time of 22:35, positioning him in the third place, only six seconds behind Cmdr Alec Turner. Drakhyr report that this was a "getting used to the DBX" run, and those seconds can be shaved with a more aggressive scooping/charging (but not letting the cargo hatch to get incontinent).
    Eeesh! That's close ... too close. Haven't had this quandry for a while ... what to do, push on with my regulation run or defend my 2nd place position in Unlimited?

Breackfast today...
    LOL - awesome!

P.S. should probably change my DBX abbreviation in the scoreboard for consistency?

Originally Posted by Alec Turner View Post (Source)
    Eeesh! That's close ... too close. Haven't had this quandry for a while ... what to do, push on with my regulation run or defend my 2nd place position in Unlimited?
    You could try for 1st place in unlimited

Originally Posted by crotalus View Post (Source)
    You could try for 1st place in unlimited
    Ahhh, I see you've spotted that I've subconciously ruled out all hope of beating you at the neutron jump game. Yeah, I briefly considered it but frankly, if Bruski is struggling to master the art of the neutron highway then I seriously doubt I'd be able to do any better. If I had another week then maybe, but as it is I think I'll just focus on beating Ozric keeping in the top 3 of at least one of the leaderboards.

If it helps with your planning at all, I will admit that I have spent some time today playing with Spansh.

but as it is I think I'll just focus on beating Ozric keeping in the top 3 of at least one of the leaderboards.
    If I make it to the final day being in the lead and get beaten again, I think I'll cry! Obviously, you should try though.

Originally Posted by drakhyr View Post (Source)
    If it helps with your planning at all, I will admit that I have spent some time today playing with Spansh.
    My plans have been set back by being a little ill the last couple of days, but The Nomad is parked at the starting line - as well as my DBX for backup, 2 tons of survival gear in the hold and a short range route planned.

I'll be spending some time messing with spansh and the Galmap before the end.

Originally Posted by Ozric View Post (Source)
    If I make it to the final day being in the lead and get beaten again, I think I'll cry!
    Duly noted ... so I need to beat your time tomorrow then!

The history behind this was great, as well as pointing out the sites in ED that are named after the explorers. Of note, the next time the South Pole was reached was 40+ years later.

The two teams planned, trained and ran their expeditions quite differently, with starkly different outcomes. Thus the expeditions are often used as a cautionary or motivational tale about preparation, focus, and management styles.

Curious if any Commanders ran out of fuel or perished in this Buckyball Run?

Originally Posted by Hydrino View Post (Source)
    The history behind this was great, as well as pointing out the sites in ED that are named after the explorers. Of note, the next time the South Pole was reached was 40+ years later.

The two teams planned, trained and ran their expeditions quite differently, with starkly different outcomes. Thus the expeditions are often used as a cautionary or motivational tale about preparation, focus, and management styles.

Buckyballers don't run out of fuel on races, even if we finish the races sometimes with our main fuel tanks empty!

We do, however, perish on a regular basis

Originally Posted by Hydrino View Post (Source)

Hi Hydrino! Welcome!
    There is plenty of stations named after this (and others) explorers (or scientifics with the same name..), but there is no in-game reference (save of the HMS Beagle, that came from the community) to the great ships/airships like the Fram, or the Terra Nova (Scott expedition) or the Victoria (under S. El Cano, the first ship to circumnavigate the earth)... the list is obviously long, and as this is a "ships" game... hopefully Frontier will be use this names for future in-game assets....

I'm pleased to report that I have now completed my first ever neutron superhighway trip, to the Lagoon Sector and back. The trip does show up the range of neutron stars out there, from the slow, short and wispy cone, to the next neutron star along the route which is spinning extremely fast (to the extent it you feel it ought to have an epilepsy warning!). I'll try to get pictures on a future run so those who aren't heading that way can see what I mean.

Overall it's a nice improvement on my time, with some room for doing better, though I'm not sure I'll be able to challenge Crotalus for the top spot.

And hello to Cmdr Bruski who I passed at a neutron star on my way back

Originally Posted by drakhyr View Post (Source)
    The trip does show up the range of neutron stars out there, from the slow, short and wispy cone, to the next neutron star along the route which is spinning extremely fast (to the extent it you feel it ought to have an epilepsy warning!). I'll try to get pictures on a future run so those who aren't heading that way can see what I mean.
    Hehe, I definitely know what you mean about the epilepsy warning! I've just come back from a ~100 Kylies trip and the variety I saw on my was was huge. I think it's a really good thing FD did there (and to be fair is probably pretty close to what you would expect in real space I imagine), because it means that they all require different tactics in order to use the efficiently. I have many pictures of Neutron stars but I don't want to bore you with them all

And hello to Cmdr Bruski who I passed at a neutron star on my way back [/QUOTE]

Ha! Love it

Saturday Morning update... Two runs in the Extreme Explorer (Unlimited) Class, one new and one re-entry.

After Thursday's warming-up run and picking one more required modules, Cmdr Samwell Drakhyr went for both bonuses, took his DBX "Black Maria" the long run on the Neutron Highway. He managed to make, even after an emergency stop and two obscured targets, a very good fly time of 2:00:05, that after the bonuses becomes 8:05! This put him in the second position.
    In his 46th participation in a Buckyball race, Cmdr Stern Winter, flew his Asp Explorer "Polar Express" in a morning run, making 27:57 after the "mandatory" Honour Bonus. He was careful to limit very hot jumping to not provoke the Cargo Hatch to fail, but he report losing valuable seconds slamming in the orbital cruise zone when approaching Scott Orbital.

o7 commanders

Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast