Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: What inspires(d) your ships name(s)?

Originally Posted by Spaceman Si View Post (Source)
    Is "Himmel" "heaven" or "sky" (or possibly both depending on context?) ? I've never been sure
    In German we have only one word for both meanings: "Himmel". So in religious terms we say "Himmel" and also in normal/scientific terms we would say "Himmel".

I consider "heaven" as more religious or symbolic as "sky" that's why I translated it with "sky" in my post seen above. No religious commanders on board there

The divine realm "Heaven" is the opposite of the fiery "Hell", and the "Sky" is where the birds fly (the opposite of "earth").

We only have one word for each in German: "Himmel", with different meanings in context. It is also both singular and plural form, btw.

Thanks for the very clear definitions, greatly appreciated!

Chieftain - Federa Liberal Ship Battletoad because it looks like a toad so its inspired by the game Battletoads
    Gunship - Federal Anti Xeno-FLS Astera, Aster means star in greek from what i know anyway
    Beluga - Federal Liberal Tourist Ship Aster Tours...you know star tours its my passenger ship
    Krait Mk2 - FLS Kraitness, just a bad pun
    AspX - 2 Billion year bunker, in the hitch hikers guide there's a ship called the billion year bunker, my type 6 took that name as well and the asp got the number 2 in front of it.
    Corvette - FLS Ironsmith, inspired by the legend of Kawa/Kaveh the ironsmith that killed a tyrant.

Ah, another one of these threads.

Let's see if I can recall it all.

Several of my ships are explorer-themed, even some that don't usually have much of an exploration role:

- AspX: Erebus, Latin for "the dark void", cognate of the more familiar Greek word "abyss". Both the volcano in Antarctica and the flagship of Franklin's lost voyage to find the Northwest Passage were named after this ancient Roman concept. It's a fitting name for a spaceship that spends most of its time out in the black. FD obviously agree with me, as I've since seen a Fed capital ship called the "FNS Erebus".

- Python: Pytheas, named after the semi-mythical ancient Greek explorer who travelled all the way to Ultima Thule (which we think is the land we now call "Norway"). That it has a name similar to "python" is a happy coincidence.

- Type 10: Investigator, named after the first survey ship to circumnavigate Australia, under Matthew Flinders. It's also got that cool "-or" ending that "Star Wars" Star Destroyers often have.

Just one of my ships has a sci-fi derived name:

- AspX (mining): Heart of Osmium, an obvious reference to the starship Heart of Gold from "Hitch-Hikers Guide to the Galaxy".

Some of my ships are rather mundanely named after the paintjobs I bought for them, before ship-naming became a thing:

- iCouriers: White Knight and Blue Angel. YOu cna probably guess their colourschemes.

- Cobra III: Australis, because I bought the Australian Flag paintjob for it.

Other miscellaneous name-sources:

- Sidewinder: Legacy, because I inherited it.

- iClipper: Alchemist, because analytical chemistry is my IRL profession.

- Orca: Queen of Arexack, because my RP character's backstory is that he was born on Peter's Eden, Arexack.

And that's it, so far. I'll buy a Krait once I think of a cool name for it.

Thanks for the very clear definitions, greatly appreciated!
    Your question brings to mind a awkward episode when I, as a student, was on my placement year in Germany teaching English as a foreign language. I taught all ages, but one particular class of 12 year-olds turned the revelation that Himmel has two alternatives in English into a philosophical discussion. As this subject moved quickly beyond the reach of their spoken English, the whole discussion switched to German, with me unexpectedly chairing. The head of department looked on, clearly amused, but equally clearly not intending to wade in at any point. I was 20 years old, and in my third week in the job. A steep learning curve, and that word has always had a special place in my heart ever since! Fortunately, the rest of the year stuck more to areas of learning where I had some actual expertise.

Anyway, apologies for the wild tangent.

Amazing that with all of these ships, and with so many common themes (inevitably) and, I sense, players with similar interests or souls in many cases, we have only had one repeat. And at least the double Erebus are on different types of ship, and both explorers.

Sounds like you had a class full of budding Nietzsches there, Simon Great story, it would have been nice to have an atmosphere like that when I was at school!

Sounds like you had a class full of budding Nietzsches there, Simon Great story, it would have been nice to have an atmosphere like that when I was at school!
    Lol yes - my own school days were spent dodging the drug dealers on the mean streets of South London. These kids were boarding at a converted 15th Century convent in the foothills of the Black Forest. Civilised themes for a civilised setting!

I have a co-pilot, who hangs out near my chair and does impressions of whatever ship I'm flying. Here he is doing his best impression of an Anaconda.

Some of my ships have rabbity-themed names because of him. My Krait is FuzzyBunz. My passenger Anaconda is Lagomorphology. My Clipper is Alabaster Hare. You get the idea.

I also was a programmer for most of my career, so some ships are named after common errors I made, such as "Frame Overflow" and "Null Transaction."

Others I just name by feel. My jumpaconda is "Meandering Spirit." My FDL is "Lazy Maisy." My T-10 is "Erroneous Vector." And my Courier is "Spurious Curiosity."

My Cutter is "Sweet Pea," an affectionate name that I call my wife.

Originally Posted by Lieutenant Dan View Post (Source)
    Another is Krait number 2 which is named after my wife.
    You have a wife number 2?

What happened to wife number 1?

Originally Posted by the100thmonkey View Post (Source)
    You have a wife number 2?

What happened to wife number 1?
    Not what I meant, but true story anyway My Practice Wife (#1) and I split up, and my Elite Wife and I have been happy together for going on 15 years now, thanks!

Apologies for the diversion, back on course!

Originally Posted by Lieutenant Dan View Post (Source)
    Not what I meant, but true story anyway My Practice Wife (#1) and I split up, and my Elite Wife and I have been happy together for going on 15 years now, thanks!

Apologies for the diversion, back on course!
    Well, as long as Inspector Morse doesn't have to get involved, I think everything's OK.

I've also been married for 15 years, although I feel like a Thargoid rather often. Intercultural marriages will do that.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345