Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What makes a good game? What makes a game worth playing?

For me itís got to have a challenge, so I can feel like my skill level is progressing.

MP is good for this as other hoomans are infinitely more variable and I think I can always beat them eventually.

AI can be good but a range between playing a high level chess programme that is demoralising as you feel youíll never win vs an easy to exploit bot that takes no effort to beat.

Originally Posted by ethelred View Post (Source)
    For me it’s got to have a challenge, so I can feel like my skill level is progressing.

MP is good for this as other hoomans are infinitely more variable and I think I can always beat them eventually.

AI can be good but a range between playing a high level chess programme that is demoralising as you feel you’ll never win vs an easy to exploit bot that takes no effort to beat.
    I was just thinking about challenge.

I remember back in the arcade games that the fun of arcade games was the challenge. These machines were quarter munchers and you had to be good to make one quarter last. Pac Man gets hard really fast.

I remember that the fun was making it to a certain level because it was a real challenge. You got a lot of satisfaction from getting to a certain level.

Now very few games provide a challenge. The fun of defeating a difficult boss is gone.

Now we have very long experiences with little to no challenge. I usually have to increase the difficulty to enjoy most games.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12