Thread: 3D or not 3D that is the question

3D or not 3D that is the question

In the last couple of years i have seen the emergence of 3D games on the playstation and xbox, for example the latest call of duty game utilizes it.(What i mean by 3D is Side by Side split screen, the technology they use in the cinema these days) and i would imagine this trend is only going to continue and grow.
    so I'd like to see if there is any possibility or even support for the idea of ED being in 3D ?
    I think it's the future of gaming and if ED is going to be a future classic we should be looking at it.

Side-by-side 3D? The Golden 20s called, they want their gimmick back

Got to feel sorry for those that splashed out on a 3D TV.....cough..ripped off!....cough.

This kind of 3D is kinda terrible. Ancient tech, and it wasn't really made any better. I would say it's a dead end, and leads to nowhere. Nvidia tried, and nobody cared.

Originally Posted by Zak Gordon View Post (Source)
    Got to feel sorry for those that splashed out on a 3D TV.....cough..ripped off!....cough.
    My Gran bought an LG Cinema 3D one it was actually quite good...

For me anyways, she's blind in one eye so she couldn't get it to work...

Before you say anything, it was all I could do to bring her down to that 800 one from the ones she was looking at - costing 2k plus. She was determined that she needed 3d because it was the newest thing then...

Originally Posted by Smart1 View Post (Source)
    In the last couple of years i have seen the emergence of 3D games on the playstation and xbox, for example the latest call of duty game utilizes it.(What i mean by 3D is Side by Side split screen, the technology they use in the cinema these days) and i would imagine this trend is only going to continue and grow.
    so I'd like to see if there is any possibility or even support for the idea of ED being in 3D ?
    I think it's the future of gaming and if ED is going to be a future classic we should be looking at it.
    ED natively already supports 3D... it's in the options.

But side by side, naaahhh... I play ED in 3D via nvidia's stereoscopic functions. Kinda like "VR-lite", except I can still reach for my coffee without spilling it if I were in VR.

As FoxTwo says, E D already has the option to display in side-to-side 3D. I gave it a try but found that there was too much bleed-through of the HUD elements as they are against a dark background, it made the experience underwhelming. Yes you can get a sense of "spatiality" and it is much better than the anaglyph option (the blue and red glasses thing) - I have not used the NVIDIA function though. If you have a 3D tv, give it a try, you might find it more acceptable than I did.