Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910

Thread: FDEV do you really honestly truly believe you have a balanced in-game economy?

Originally Posted by Sole Hunter View Post (Source)
    Career agents was part of the initial kickstarter pitch, not sure what you are on about.
    There is a difference between career agents and player story driven RPG factors or even players having more agency where the universe state is concerned - the former does not imply either of the latter two.

Arguably, we effectively have career agents via the promotion missions as it currently stands.

Originally Posted by rlsg View Post (Source)
    There is a difference between career agents and player story driven RPG factors or even players having more agency where the universe state is concerned - the former does not imply either of the latter two.

Arguably, we effectively have career agents via the promotion missions as it currently stands.
    Except promotions are simply ship and system gates and do not provide access to new mechanics or more lucrative payouts that are affiliation rank locked.

Originally Posted by Commander Danicus View Post (Source)
    Except promotions are simply ship and system gates and do not provide access to new mechanics or more lucrative payouts that are affiliation rank locked.
    Maybe - but that is not what some people in this thread are asking for in general.

I could go with adding "optional" rank and rep dependent missions that may in nature depending on where they are picked up - but nothing that gives any individual too great an effect on the shared universe state (which is what some are seemingly asking for).

Originally Posted by rootsrat View Post (Source)
    The game economy seems not to be WAY OFF being anywhere near "balanced".
    I think it's a good point too. "Balancing" will always be out of reach for a closed system that is misunderstood by those tweaking the database entries.

Moreover, the implementation of a self-evolving cybernetic system is way too out of reach for the current design team. It's a catch 22 in the context of development under the current approach.

Until then, this game has never been "balanced" and never will be.

Best we can hope for is that a brief to even out the economy to "more fun" levels comes down from above, by someone with the juice to simply tell them what they need to be doing.

However due to recent form on the matter, I think maybe it's a bit too much to expect that the end user gets told what that plan is too.

Originally Posted by Mad Mike View Post (Source)
    see this is my fear... that FD decide to price them based on the mega billionaires who got their money like PowderPanic (this is not a slight on him, if it is in the game without cheating it is fair game if that is your bag).
    Mike; stop this. It's not healthy. Wrapping "this is not a slight" after calling out something as essentially bad, is a bit poor form imho. The people responsible are Frontier. Always, always have been. This is just feeding the "it's everyone else's fault" narrative. Any change at all is now be players' fault. Not the developer taking a misstep, or simply trying a thing to see how it works.

I have 4.5 billion worth of cash and assets even though I spend half my time doing pretty much nothing of financial gain. One can get to a point where collecting funds happens naturally. I literally can't spend it fast enough; and that is probably more the problem. Providing proper sinks that scale with wealth. Frontier sadly has never got a handle on that.

Frontier built a game that assumes everyone will gain vast wealth over time. The game absolutely assumes this. It fundamentally breaks, when people do not accrue sizable funds. Large ships, large ship modules, running costs were all supposed to be a credit sink. Frontier has had to wind back a lot of sinks because people have become obsessed with some sort of puritanical view of income to the point where a percentage simply has very little operating capital.

The game has endless accrual metrics. Credits are the same. It's all just accrued; yeah, if you focus it flows in quicker but so does anything else. It's not the players fault, m8. People just engage with the game as they see fit. This is predominantly on Frontier's schizophrenic approach to wealth; nothing more.

If frontier could honestly grasp the concept of consistency in moderation arguably the situation would be a hell of a lot better. But they do not grasp that. All changes are extreme. All of them. Have been for five+ years. And the reversals and cuts are no less deep and extreme, either.

This game needs love, support and dedication to see it through. Not angst, petulance and demanding everyone be a space hobo (or else). And I honestly believe the forums would prefer to argue everything until the heat-death of the universe, now, than actually encourage and challenge the developer take the risks it needs to take and get with the program and get this damn thing back on track.

It's all about being correct; not looking at the bigger picture and seeing a game that is flawed, yet brilliant. That genuinely could be even more amazing than it is. And that Elite's true strength is it's players, and they should be damn well focused on the developer getting sh*t done rather than yelling past each other on points of order that have no sodding meaning or value at this point.

Anyway. The economy is this way because there are three modes that have a differing environment make up yet a connected universe. A true player economy cannot function in a split mode game as it will be ripe for un-controlled abuse (as it partly is now).

Frontier basically have to re-write how modes work so that there is a singular experience, for the singular economy. And that's almost certainly a bridge too far. And arguably I don't think Frontier even consider that a design goal. The BGS now, is more or less what they aimed for. It's about the only compromise they've ever made. Sacrifice the experience a bit to sustain three modes of engagement. It's arguable as to how successful that's even been.

edited: honestly Frontier are at a crossroads where they are starting to make some very hard decisions because they've let a lot of issues fester, and they need to get a lot of these proposed changes in; I'm tired of the "it's the players' fault" blame shifting that leads to endless rollback of change.

Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910