Page 8 of 15 FirstFirst ... 367891013 ... LastLast
Results 106 to 120 of 225

Thread: FDEV do you really honestly truly believe you have a balanced in-game economy?

  1. #106
    Agree with OP. Unfortunately I avoided the self-generating goldrushes like an idiot. I realise now that I should have jumped on it while I had the chance, now I am poor. The "economy" is so balanced I have stopped playing for now as rebuys are a continual problem.

    You either forever chase money and do nothing else or you forego money and gather engineering materials. Never the twain shall meet.

    I lurk in hope.

  2. #107
    Originally Posted by Max Factor View Post (Source)
    He is talking about a player driven econonmy. There are many different types of sand box but according to Sole Hunter, none of them are "True" sandbox games unless it has a player driven economy like EVE online. I have had a great laugh about it a number of times.

    Here is the definition of Sand box game :

    https://www.techopedia.com/definitio...sandbox-gaming

    http://www.tentonhammer.com/articles...ark-mmos-fight
    ok ... thanks virtual rep given... so then i guess ED IS a sandbox. i just dont think the name sandbox reflects all that well to the definition.......
    i suppose games like farcr.................. well anything at all by ubisoft can be considered sandboxes then as they have a whole bunch of missions you can do, or ignore if you like, i have access to all of the map etc etc etc.

    edit real rep given it seems you have been unlocked again.

  3. #108
    Originally Posted by Mad Mike View Post (Source)
    lol i know i have heard the analogy before, and it is not a strawman because i directly asked you.

    however please elaborate. what about elite makes it a sandbox, how does your statement fit into elite?, and would you say my definition of a sandbox is correct? i believe ED is flagged as one on steam but it is flagged as a lot of things on steam.

    I am not convinced ED IS a sandbox to be honest... because we cant actually create anything, well outside of a build a station CG and even then it does a pi.. poor job imo of making me feel like i am building something.

    (I do enjoy the game for what it is, i am just not sure what it is that is all)
    Elite is not flagged as a sandbox on steam it's flagged as an open-world space sim multiplayer game. Two similar genre of game (sci-fi) with spaceships but two completely different type of games in terms of gameplay. Does Elite resemble a sandbox, yes, because they give you the illusion of a player driven world, but it's not the case.



    unlike EVE online :


  4. #109
    Originally Posted by Sole Hunter View Post (Source)
    Elite is not flagged as a sandbox on steam it's flagged as an open-world multiplayer game.
    ahh ok that is interesting, i thought it was (flagged as sandbox)

    thanks.

  5. #110
    Originally Posted by Mad Mike View Post (Source)
    lol i know i have heard the analogy before, and it is not a strawman because i directly asked you.

    however please elaborate. what about elite makes it a sandbox, how does your statement fit into elite?, and would you say my definition of a sandbox is correct? i believe ED is flagged as one on steam but it is flagged as a lot of things on steam.

    I am not convinced ED IS a sandbox to be honest... because we cant actually create anything, well outside of a build a station CG and even then it does a pi.. poor job imo of making me feel like i am building something.

    (I do enjoy the game for what it is, i am just not sure what it is that is all)
    It is and isnt a lot of things and they advertising for it is crazy misleading.

    I think Elites BIGGEST issue is that it doesnt know what it wants to be, so doesnt do anything really well.

    The game is designed to appease so many different types of players, that its doesnt fully comit to anyone.

    This is partly why the community is so toxic.

    People want Economy, people want PVP, people want casual play, people want immersive RP, people want proper exploration, people want an MMO, people want to co-op etc etc.

    It could be easily directed but FDEV seen scared to upset people and make changes. The best thing we have seen in 3 years towards an MMO is forcing Powerplay into Open.

    Powerpanic
    The Voice of Griefing

  6. #111
    Originally Posted by Powderpanic View Post (Source)
    It is and isnt a lot of things and they advertising for it is crazy misleading.

    I think Elites BIGGEST issue is that it doesnt know what it wants to be, so doesnt do anything really well.

    The game is designed to appease so many different types of players, that its doesnt fully comit to anyone.

    This is partly why the community is so toxic.

    People want Economy, people want PVP, people want casual play, people want immersive RP, people want proper exploration, people want an MMO, people want to co-op etc etc.

    It could be easily directed but FDEV seen scared to upset people and make changes.

    Powerpanic
    The Voice of Griefing
    I cant argue with you there. Elite definitely has an identity crisis.

  7. #112
    Originally Posted by Powderpanic View Post (Source)
    It is and isnt a lot of things and they advertising for it is crazy misleading.

    I think Elites BIGGEST issue is that it doesnt know what it wants to be, so doesnt do anything really well.

    The game is designed to appease so many different types of players, that its doesnt fully comit to anyone.

    This is partly why the community is so toxic.

    People want Economy, people want PVP, people want casual play, people want immersive RP, people want proper exploration, people want an MMO, people want to co-op etc etc.

    It could be easily directed but FDEV seen scared to upset people and make changes. The best thing we have seen in 3 years towards an MMO is forcing Powerplay into Open.

    Powerpanic
    The Voice of Griefing
    I have to agree. It's the extremely broad nature of the game which is what is causing issues, but it all has some plus sides too.

  8. #113
    Originally Posted by Mad Mike View Post (Source)
    I cant argue with you there. Elite definitely has an identity crisis.
    Elite is doing everything wrong as a multiplayer game because fdev has to cope with the reality of optional singleplayer.

  9. #114
    Originally Posted by Sole Hunter View Post (Source)
    Elite is doing everything wrong as a multiplayer game because fdev has to cope with the reality of optional singleplayer.
    Surely that depends on what kind of multiplayer game you are looking for. If it's purely PvP based then that would be a yes. If it was PwPvE, then no. It shouldn't make any difference. The issue is that people want it to be lots of different things.

  10. #115
    Originally Posted by Max Factor View Post (Source)
    He is talking about a player driven economy. There are many different types of sand box but according to Sole Hunter, none of them are "True" sandbox games unless it has a player driven economy like EVE online. I have had a great laugh about it a number of times now.

    Here is the definition of Sand box game :

    https://www.techopedia.com/definitio...sandbox-gaming

    http://www.tentonhammer.com/articles...ark-mmos-fight

    ED is a sand box, EVE online is a sandbox and so is minecraft. They are all very different types of sandbox games.

    All of them have tools that you can use to interact with the game world around you if you so choose. It's just that they all have different types of tools to play with the sand there.

    In ED there is plenty of sand, but there seems to be a wire mesh after getting a few inches deep. You can see the rest of the sand beneath it, but you can't access it with the tools available.

    Very frustrating.
    You're absolutely right but totally ignored by most posters in this thread. Especially the first link (techopedia) reads like a master template for ED while there's not a single word about player driven economy. With a little goodwill you can probably include it into this definition, but making it a requirement for a 'true sandbox' is pure fiction.

  11. #116
    Originally Posted by Sole Hunter View Post (Source)
    Elite is doing everything wrong as a multiplayer game because fdev has to cope with the reality of optional singleplayer.
    Elite is doing everything wrong as a singleplayer game because fdev has to cope with the reality of optional multiplayer.

    You got chocolate in my peanut butter!
    You got peanut butter on my chocolate!

    Back to the topic; there is no economy because money/ships/weapons is infinite. The lack of rarity of these things means there's no inherent value to them.

  12. #117
    Originally Posted by picommander View Post (Source)
    You're absolutely right but totally ignored by most posters in this thread. Especially the first link (techopedia) reads like a master template for ED while there's not a single word about player driven economy. With a little goodwill you can probably include it into this definition, but making it a requirement for a 'true sandbox' is pure fiction.
    It's probably because I maybe on their ignore list. Some people don't like it when someone has a difference of opinion or plays Devils Advocate with them.

  13. #118
    Originally Posted by Sole Hunter View Post (Source)
    Elite is doing everything wrong as a multiplayer game because fdev has to cope with the reality of optional singleplayer.
    i play Elite 70% multiplayer so i cant agree with that.

    There is a lot I personally would do differently if Elite was my game (and i had the skills) but removing the option to play alone or with a group of friends is the last thing i would change.

    of course that does not make your view wrong for the game YOU want. its just we want very different games, which i think is something you said to PP up above in another post.

  14. #119
    I wouldn't call ED a sandbox. To me sandbox means being able to shape the world around you. Minecraft being the most obvious example of a sandbox. There are very few elements of the world we can alter in ED, by design (the devs want to retain control).

    ED is just an open world game. You have various activities the game lets you do in whatever order you wish, it also allows you to do nothing and not worry about any questing and such, but the game world itself is fixed as far as player actions are concerned, with a few limited exceptions.

  15. #120
    Originally Posted by Powderpanic View Post (Source)
    It is and isnt a lot of things and they advertising for it is crazy misleading.

    I think Elites BIGGEST issue is that it doesnt know what it wants to be, so doesnt do anything really well.

    The game is designed to appease so many different types of players, that its doesnt fully comit to anyone.

    This is partly why the community is so toxic.

    People want Economy, people want PVP, people want casual play, people want immersive RP, people want proper exploration, people want an MMO, people want to co-op etc etc.

    It could be easily directed but FDEV seen scared to upset people and make changes. The best thing we have seen in 3 years towards an MMO is forcing Powerplay into Open.

    Powerpanic
    The Voice of Griefing
    That's true, Elite often feels like a game with no face. I guess this perception goes more or less throughout the whole community, no matter what camp you're in. Your fallacy though is that you somehow seem to expect that Elite would/could be a lot more successful if it only caters to one certain player type. It most likely would be better, agreed, but success is another story.

    Problem is, there are at least 3 very different types of players who all would like to see the game evolving into their direction. I guess there's a lot of forum PvP ahead to get what you want while FD would do a hell to actually listen to one certain camp.

    Their line of thinking might be (simplified math): better 3 x 75% than one time 100%

Page 8 of 15 FirstFirst ... 367891013 ... LastLast