Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Are NPC's blind?

Are NPC's blind?

So i want to exit the station with my orca at about the speed of 80. I look up if there are any other ships wanting to exit. Nope none in sight.

But immediately as i !!!enter the exit!!! A python decides to also exit.
    That oversized door stopper wedges itself between my orcas belly and the floor. Im stuck, nice. Loosing shields and getting fined for reckless flying.
    How is this my fault???

Managet to wiggle free with about 35 % hull left by repeatedly deploying and retracting the landing gear. Python also survived.

If i ever have a corvette i will park it sideways in the entrance and watch the slot getting cluttered with those npc's.

They seem to be very aggressive lately, not nearly so bad as commanders but getting better. Maybe FD are having them mimic our behavior?

Wish they would make way for larger vessels.

Keep your speed under 100 and you won't get fined.
    Whether NPC's are blind or not is something you'll figure out when you try to use stealth in this game. Short answer, they are not. They're just stupid.

Originally Posted by Vandaahl View Post (Source)
    Whether NPC's are blind or not is something you'll figure out when you try to use stealth in this game. Short answer, they are not. They're just stupid.
    I wqs flying 80. Not sure what the fine was for... Only saw i got fined

Originally Posted by Deekin Scalesinger View Post (Source)
    How is this my fault???
    You were flying a ship in elite near other ships in elite. The AI does not care; it's never been required to. They don't matter. Until they do. Good to hear all parties survived. o7

This is incorrect, as remaining within the mail-slot (station entrance) for > specific period of time is automatically a fine; remaining for longer will become an infraction that triggers a wanted status and (usually) efficient and swift station action to clear the obstruction.

NPC are software constructs inside your computer, so yes, they are blind. You on the other hand ...

Especially if you're going to exit the starport so slowly you should be checking for traffic around you - starports can be busy places. Personally I get out fast, less time for collisions that way.

Originally Posted by Factabulous View Post (Source)
    NPC are software constructs inside your computer, so yes, they are blind. You on the other hand ...

Especially if you're going to exit the starport so slowly you should be checking for traffic around you - starports can be busy places. Personally I get out fast, less time for collisions that way.
    As said. I usually exit and enter with the speed of 80-90.

But immediately as i !!!enter the exit!!! A python decides to also exit.
    That oversized door stopper wedges itself between my orcas belly and the floor. Im stuck, nice. Loosing shields and getting fined for reckless flying.
    How is this my fault???
    Not only are NPCs not "blind" they actually have amazing "eyesight" if you are engaged in combat. They can continue to track you visually from well beyond a range that a player could see your ship even if you are in silent running. They don't, however, particularly care about colliding with other ships when entering or exiting a station. They just don't prioritize collision avoidance if you are in their way because they are simply moving in or out of the station.

However, in terms of being able to avoid collisions NPCs are quite capable of doing this when necessary which you can determine by watching the docking computer behavior where your ship will consistently slow down and avoid colliding with other ships while docking. NPC docking behavior is based on the same programming as the docking computer to the point that when the docking computer was bugged it prevented NPCs from docking properly. The stations were littered with NPC ship hulls that couldn't dock and were destroyed by the station until that bug was patched. It's not so much an issue of whether NPCs can avoid colliding with you but an issue of whether that is a priority for their behavior when flying around stations.

Ppfffttt... I rarely enter the slot below 300. Never been fined.

You just need to know how to fly, and keep eyes open for other ships...

Z...

NPC's may or may not be blind. But OP appears to blind as well - look at your radar. That it what it is for.

Radar - it's the round thing with ships on it right in front of your face.

Blind? No.

Drunk? Always.

I wqs flying 80. Not sure what the fine was for... Only saw i got fined
    Probably a loitering fine, if you stop in the airlock area for ANY reason you can get a fine for obstructing the airlock. Had the fines occur when learning to slot both the Beluga and the Anaconda.

The lack of proper slot traffic indicators/controls where human piloted craft is concerned has been a long standing complaint of mine. I would not mind seeing a cuing system implemented for Coriolis/Orbis/Asteroid stations where the slot is concerned.

For docking, the docking computer can avoid the relevant issues but for launching there is no equivalent AFAIK.

So i want to exit the station with my orca at about the speed of 80

You deserve to be rammed from behind. But if you stay over 100, you only have to worry about what is in front of you. An Orca can dodge past an incoming Type-9 inside the mailslot.

Originally Posted by Limoncello Lizard View Post (Source)
    You deserve to be rammed from behind. But if you stay over 100, you only have to worry about what is in front of you. An Orca can dodge past an incoming Type-9 inside the mailslot.
    Hey i have had the orca for only about 20 hours. Still getting used to the new ship. Sorry that i dont boost out the mailslot.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast