Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Are NPC's blind?

Originally Posted by Arry View Post (Source)
    They all look the same size on the radar, to me. However: Using said radar, shows me where everything is and so where to move to to avoid everything.
    "Said radar" shows you where the center of another vessel is, but shows nothing about the size of it, never mind where it's going (velocity, acceleration).

And not even those rectangles are shown until you've gained some distance from your landing pod.

Originally Posted by rlsg View Post (Source)
    The OP was talking about effectively an NPC cue jumping in one direction... not coming in while they were leaving.

I have had NPC cue jumping happen to me during docking, they will come from above or below without thought for whether the PC is closer to the slot or not (on either side). I have had cases of ships launching and running into me then have warnings about flying safely when the NPC was clearly at fault.

I have never been wedged like the OP apparently had been but the situation is perfectly believable.
    Its honestly beyond me how people on this forum can miss issues so fundamental to the op as "the npc came behind me because we were going the same direction" and confidently dismiss the op with a declaration that they are simply doing it wrong, when the op was doing exactly what they are telling the op to do.

Originally Posted by Graelock View Post (Source)
    This has always been my issue with the game. There's no fair "it's your turn" queue, and AI are not self aware, they just go for it. One day I'm going to take my shield ramming build and honestly boost and blow up the next idiot that thinks it's his turn. I'll get blasted to bits but it will be worth it. I just think it would be hilarious to boost into a little Viper, or something and watch it blow up immediately at the mail slot.
    If you are fast enough, you can boost out of the mail slot, kill the npc coming through it, and lox/high wake out before the station takes you out. \

I've saved a few cutter rebuys with that method .

Originally Posted by galahad2069 View Post (Source)
    "Said radar" shows you where the center of another vessel is, but shows nothing about the size of it, never mind where it's going (velocity, acceleration).

And not even those rectangles are shown until you've gained some distance from your landing pod.
    The radar rules are simple.

The centre is you. The first ring from the centre, is contact with you. It is not rocket science. IMO, most players do not make as much use of the radar, as they could do.

Originally Posted by Darty View Post (Source)
    Its honestly beyond me how people on this forum can miss issues so fundamental to the op as "the npc came behind me because we were going the same direction" and confidently dismiss the op with a declaration that they are simply doing it wrong, when the op was doing exactly what they are telling the op to do.
    I usually dont respond to these posts. It just goes soiraling down into stupid arguments.

Originally Posted by Deekin Scalesinger View Post (Source)
    I usually dont respond to these posts. It just goes soiraling down into stupid arguments.
    Yeah. I used to just for the free bumps to my threads. It was kindof funny because they were obviously trying to shill against my thread but their nonsense did nothing other than give me a reason to keep my thread on the first page where more people could see it.

I've even told some of them as much and they still kept responding.

Originally Posted by kofeyh View Post (Source)
    This is incorrect, as remaining within the mail-slot (station entrance) for > specific period of time is automatically a fine; remaining for longer will become an infraction that triggers a wanted status and (usually) efficient and swift station action to clear the obstruction.
    My bad, I read it as if he got the fine for reckless flying, as was said in the OP:

Originally Posted by Deekin Scalesinger View Post (Source)
    Loosing shields and getting fined for reckless flying.

Originally Posted by Factabulous View Post (Source)
    NPC are software constructs inside your computer, so yes, they are blind. You on the other hand ...

Especially if you're going to exit the starport so slowly you should be checking for traffic around you - starports can be busy places. Personally I get out fast, less time for collisions that way.
    Max throttle and boost, straight out.

Bystanders be darned.

Originally Posted by Vardaugas View Post (Source)
    Someone with drawing skills must make this into a comic: A new commander in his freewinder approaching a station, getting docking permission and the "...make way for larger vessels." fading into the background as he hits the boost and going "wheeeeee!" towards the slot. Only to smear his ship over the front end of an outgoing T-9. Inside the T-9 the other commander is staring at the newb stuck outside the canopy with an expression of mixed shock and exasperation. One of the two multi-crew commanders in the bottom asks if something happened without even looking up from the game of chess they're playing. The pilot simply answers: "Nope, nothing." while reaching for the wind screen wipers. Elite. Dangerous.

It's probably more funny in my head.
    NPC sidewinders plastered all over the front of my first T9 in 3301 were a regular occurence. Collisions and especially ship collisions have been dulled down a lot over the years.

Remember when they were ramming while scanning?

They are not blind, but they are supremely arrogant. They expect EVERYTHING to get out of their way, regardless of whether they are flying a Sidewinder, Cobra or Beluga!

When they were scanning some time back they decided to scan from the inside of their target outwards!

There's no out of combat checks (that I'm aware of) to avoid you running into them or them into you. They'll only avoid you when in combat to avoid taking critical damage that could cause them to lose that fight.

If nothing's in my way I'll boost out of the slot. Sometimes a mischievous NPC will intentionally pop up right in front of me causing himself to be damaged as I exit the station. Very few deaths have resulted from these reckless NPCs hence I see no need to modify my station exiting procedures.

CMDRs are only ever in the queue when using a docking computer. Otherwise, NPCs are mostly oblivious to your presence.

Originally Posted by GroundxZERO View Post (Source)
    Remember when they were ramming while scanning?
    I was wondering where the ram-scan suiciders went.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast