Thread: I've made a dangerous and possibly very expensive mistake.

I've made a dangerous and possibly very expensive mistake.

It makes the Death Star look like a good investment.

I bought an Anaconda and was about to take off to make back the insurance cost. I have multiple passenger cabins, but no weapons, the default shields and some scanners and a fighter bay. However, I downgraded and stored the default power couplings and power plant to reduce the mass, otherwise I wouldn't be able to even leave the system (it worked fine with my python). Unfortunately, as soon as I detached from the dock, I discovered my ship doesn't even have the power to fire its thrusters - I'm floating inside a space station, with the countdown timer ticking down, literally unable to move, and none of my systems are working. For reference its a 3A Power Plant and the ship is unengineered.

I turned the game off, because I suspect I'm going to be blasted into oblivion when I log back on and I'm still in the station. Do I even have enough power to move the ship, or do I have to accept the consequences? Even if I respawn outside the station, I'm not sure if i won't be stranded. Can anyone help the worst pilot in the galaxy?

As a secondary complaint, does it feel like the Python's default jump range makes it unusable without engineering? As in, the default ship without any shields, weapons or extra modules left me stranded in the same system because its own internals are so heavy. Meanwhile my Viper is built like Fat Albert if he ate bricks and can make the Pleiades in under 50 jumps.

You should respawn outside the station or even docked when you log back in.

As for whether or not you'll be able to move, you should request docking and turn everything off except thrusters, sensors and life support. You should then be able to move your ship.

Well, either you submit to your fate and chalk it down as a learning experience, or:

- go to the right hand screen in the cockpit
    - go to the 'modules' tab
    - switch off everything but the thrusters (I hope you don't have any passengers on board - your emergency oxygen is good for 5 minutes, that should be good enough)
    - leave the station (sorry, you have to) and get IIRC 2 km outside
    - request docking, turn around and land again
    - sell the 'conda until you can afford it

Stock Python has a jump range of ~8 ly. Should be enough to get you around the bubble, albeit rather tedious.
    Regarding your Viper and the Pleiades: come back again when you're down to 8 jumps and no refuelling . Nah, seriously? The Viper is (or should be) a fighter, it only needs to jump when you're wanted in your current system. For that, ~10 ly is usually just about sufficient. But that 50 jumps claim lets me suspect that you're either using economic routing or your Viper is seriously overweight, which hampers her combat performance.

---

Oooops, the100thmonkey is right - don't switch off the sensors, or you won't be able to request docking. If power is really tight (shouldn't be with a 3A PP), you might switch off thruters, switch on sensors, request docking, switch off sensors and switch on thrusters again.

Log of in the station, when you log back in you will be docked again.

Once you have followed the advice above and safely docked use this site the Coriolis shipyard to check your build works.
    https://beta.coriolis.edcd.io/outfit/anaconda
    You said you left in the standard shields which are 6E and 40 tonnes 5D shields are adequate for a non combat Anaconda and will save you 32 tonnes, all modules that are available in grades A - E should be upgraded from E which are too heavy and who's only virtue is they are cheap D have the least mass and are the best option when performance is not the first priority.

Originally Posted by Garix View Post (Source)
    This is definitely the answer.
    I just tried it.
    Selected launch - waited on the pad for 30 seconds - then logged out.

When I logged in again ship was back in hanger.

Originally Posted by Garix View Post (Source)
    Really? I've never tried this but I would've guessed that your location would have changed from the station to the system you were in the moment you undocked and got helm authority, so you'd respawn in the black somewhere when you log back in.

Originally Posted by Maenden View Post (Source)
    This is definitely the answer. I just tried it.
    Huh. Well, cool for OP! Never fly without a rebuy and always check the EDSY before you cut weight that close to the bone!

Originally Posted by Oscar Brannen View Post (Source)
    Really? I've never tried this but I would've guessed that your location would have changed from the station to the system you were in the moment you undocked and got helm authority, so you'd respawn in the black somewhere when you log back in.
    No, that is what used to happen but they changed it so that if you have not left the station then you restart in the hangar. Previously some people had difficulty manoeuvring their Anacondas out of the station so they just exited to menu after lifting and then restarted 10km from the station. (undock-logging vs combat-logging I suppose ) Now they have to actually try to learn how to fly the big ships.

Originally Posted by Para Handy View Post (Source)
    No, that is what used to happen but they changed it so that if you have not left the station then you restart in the hangar. Previously some people had difficulty manoeuvring their Anacondas out of the station so they just exited to menu after lifting and then restarted 10km from the station. (undock-logging vs combat-logging I suppose ) Now they have to actually try to learn how to fly the big ships.
    Yeah. All I know as the person who goes "Right hit the Launch button" followed 1.5ms later by "Oh. Rats. Forgot the limpets. Again." I still consider this the greatest change in Elite.

Originally Posted by Para Handy View Post (Source)
    Definitely got to try and remember this improvement, real QOL for the forgetful.

Hi, I can understand the long term goals of getting an Anaconda, but to strip it down to the bare bones and give it a lawn mower power plant just to ferry some passengers around leaves me slightly confused!

Why not just buy a Beluga? Depending on where you buy it's roughly 53-61 million cheaper than the 'Conda and comes all set up for passengers right out of the box. There are plenty of spare slots for even more passengers or some cargo and so on. You just need to spend a bit to change the modules to D rated to lighten the load and investing in the 7A FSD will give you around 25ly jump un-engineered and with no power problems. The thing about passenger missions is to forget about combat whilst they are aboard, so no need for fancy weapons. Although 2 chaff launchers, an ECM and mines can buy you time while you make your escape, if you lose an interdiction.

You get all that for less than the cost of a new raw 'Conda, not forgetting that the Orca would also do a great job for far less as well. So when you've made your fortune , then you can put some meat on the bones of that poor 'Conda

Thanks for the help guys, I did spawn docked, and replaced it with the appropriate modules. Just shows you how one oversight can push you over the edge.

For those that were wondering, I'm in Sothis/Ceos doing low risk, single system passenger runs, which is why i initially had such a weird setup. A Python (which can take missions from stations as opposed to the Lakon freighters) full of economy passenger cabins nets over 25 million an hour so long as you avoid the stupider illegal missions. Been sent to The Penitent by the mission giver enough times already.

They also don't have access to higher tier modules, which is why I couldn't just replace them with the D versions - I'm working toward that now I'm in the bubble.

Originally Posted by Svartlnaggaroth View Post (Source)
    Thanks for the help guys, I did spawn docked, and replaced it with the appropriate modules. Just shows you how one oversight can push you over the edge.

For those that were wondering, I'm in Sothis/Ceos doing low risk, single system passenger runs, which is why i initially had such a weird setup. A Python (which can take missions from stations as opposed to the Lakon freighters) full of economy passenger cabins nets over 25 million an hour so long as you avoid the stupider illegal missions. Been sent to The Penitent by the mission giver enough times already.

They also don't have access to higher tier modules, which is why I couldn't just replace them with the D versions - I'm working toward that now I'm in the bubble.
    Glad it all worked out for you