Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: I know exact reason why we WON'T have space legs.

I know exact reason why we WON'T have space legs.

Muscle atrophy.

Plain and simple, our CMDRs will be physically unable to move in 1g gravity. Most of our time we spend in space, flying between places. Our ships aren't equipped with artificial gravity so all the time we are affected with 0g. Occasional force induced upon our bodies while maneuvering isn't enough to keep our muscle's strength. And I don't see our CMDRs take extra exercise to stay fit. The only source of gravity strong enough is within space stations - which we don't stay long inside.

So when hypothetical space legs would arrive it would be doom for all of us. Weak, unable to maintain vertical posture we would break. And then we would die. Horribly.

Space legs cancellation confirmed!

Z...

Can we Engineer our legs or maybe get guardian upgraded legs.

Also when we die can we rebuy legs if they broke ?

This does not, however, rule out Space Tentacles.

Thank goodness for evolution.

I think that FD will ignore the ACTUAL physical effects that prolonged 0g has upon muscle atrophy, in this make believe game....... yet OP, you seem OK with FTL space travel!!

Reminds me of the film Wall-E:

I'd reset one of my alt accounts to circumvent that limitation as that way my new CMDR wouldnt have three years of atrophy. OR I'd use some of my main CMDR's not inconsiderable wealth to buy some fo the best medical support available.

@gooddoc

yet OP, you seem OK with FTL space travel!!

Hm... now I must sit and think about it for a while.

Reply pending...

You mean to say all those credits I spend on progenitor cells, stimulants and cutting edge Remlok technology were just a complete waste and did nothing at all? Damn.

Heh. Yeah, given the amount of physical activity my CMDR gets, the flight suit is probably the only thing keeping him upright!

I totally agree with the OP that after upto four years in the pilots seat with out anything more tasing than moving the hotas, our commanders would ahve all the muscle strentgh of a mashed potato. However this is a game, so there will always be a bit of handwavium applied, so another lore friendly solution to this is the flightsuits our CMDR's wear could have an electro muscle stimulation function which has been keeping the lazy gits muscle tone there or there abouts.

Originally Posted by gooddoc View Post (Source)
    I think that FD will ignore the ACTUAL physical effects that prolonged 0g has upon muscle atrophy
    There is a possibility that in the future our pilot chairs include some kind of muscle stimulation technology that can mitigate the atrophy effects of long term exposure to a 0g environment.

FTR There are also multi-G planets that are populated by humans which could also be seen as being unrealistic.

Overall, even if FD do take into account muscle atrophy effects and the effects of high-G worlds that does not rule out space legs.

Originally Posted by gooddoc View Post (Source)
    I think that FD will ignore the ACTUAL physical effects that prolonged 0g has upon muscle atrophy, in this make believe game....... yet OP, you seem OK with FTL space travel!!
    OP was kidding. Hope you were too! In any case, I see a lot of gamebreaking immersion killers cited, and I just wonder why some ppl pin their imaginative energies on one thing and switch off for everything else.

Muscles atrophy due to lack of use. My remlok suit runs cycles of mild electrode activity to keep muscles flexing imperceptibly throughout my time in 0g. I arrive fitter happier and more productive than when I left. Which is just as well as the way I fly, I usually have a cargohold full of dissident juices that need sluicing out. Its like a slaughter house in there, & takes a lot of cleaning.

My suit also has a deep tissue massage function, which I leave on 'slight Thai lady' for general use, and switch to '20-stone Turkish meatgrinder' for combat. I like the impression of force-feedback.

So there we go. Issues resolved using existing assets, PP open-only, no need for space tentacles or subliminal messaging.

Tldr: mad stuff, PP open-only.

Originally Posted by Shiro Akai View Post (Source)
    Muscle atrophy.

Plain and simple, our CMDRs will be physically unable to move in 1g gravity. Most of our time we spend in space, flying between places. Our ships aren't equipped with artificial gravity so all the time we are affected with 0g. Occasional force induced upon our bodies while maneuvering isn't enough to keep our muscle's strength. And I don't see our CMDRs take extra exercise to stay fit. The only source of gravity strong enough is within space stations - which we don't stay long inside.

So when hypothetical space legs would arrive it would be doom for all of us. Weak, unable to maintain vertical posture we would break. And then we would die. Horribly.
    That's what our Remlok suits are for.

Somehow.

Well that's what I'm choosing to make sense in my head at least. Must be something highly advanced techy going on with them.

Like the aforementioned Thai massage option.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast