Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: I know exact reason why we WON'T have space legs.

Originally Posted by Shiro Akai View Post (Source)
    Extrapolating my personal experience - we spend more time in space than in 1g environment.
    How much time do you spend logged out at a station? Assume your CMDR is spending at least that much time under station gravity. The in-game clock progresses in 1:1 real time.

0.04g or even 0.2g won't do much for your muscles. High gravity worlds - admit, how many you have visited and how much time you spent there?
    You do realize there are many planets with close to 1g gravity? I spend quite a bit of time on planets in the SRV and all a CMDR needs to do is find a suitable planet to land on, then they can walk around their ship all they want with gravity provided by the planet.

As I mentioned in thread starter - passive and short lasting to actually do something.
    Except that the ships routinely accelerate to several g's worth of acceleration in a 6DOF environment.

Again, how much time you spent thrusting up?
    You can do this as much as you like until your fuel runs low, then scoop from a nearby star and repeat. You can have instant gravity on demand just by using your vertical maneuvering thrusters. If you watch the Expanse you should recognize this is a common technique to generate artificial gravity on ships with sufficient vertical thrust.

The only argument I can agree with. And already mentioned our suits that stimulate our bodies within flight. On a side note - how comfortable flying is when your legs twitch all the time due to muscle stimuli?
    This really only needs to supplement the other opportunities I've mentioned above.

For some reason you're assuming that CMDRs wouldn't take every opportunity to utilize station gravity, planetary gravity and ship thrust. Most CMDRs would do everything possible to walk around and live in as close to a 1g environment as possible. Most likely their first priority would be some strenuous exercise in such an environment if there were any issue of muscle atrophy occurring, which most likely there isn't because of all those opportunities I mentioned.

Glad to see that people have realised this game isn't getting space legs ever.

Now we can all move on peacefully.

Also all the exercises and other techniques designed to maintain muscle strength when the above possibilities are not being utilized.
    The only argument I can agree with. And already mentioned our suits that stimulate our bodies within flight. On a side note - how comfortable flying is when your legs twitch all the time due to muscle stimuli?
    My understanding is current comparable techniques are less twitching and more like a gentle vibration. Such treatments need not necessarily be constant though.

Originally Posted by TheMegaTurnip View Post (Source)
    For tha new Belter state!
    Sa sa ke?

Originally Posted by Soon(TM) View Post (Source)
    Glad to see that people have realised this game isn't getting space legs ever.
    I would not go that far, but hopefully people have added a bit more realism to their expectations.

I think FD may have oversold the general concepts of space legs personally.

Muscle atrophy.

Plain and simple, our CMDRs will be physically unable to move in 1g gravity. Most of our time we spend in space, flying between places.
    Do we?

I mean, I've been out exploring for a couple of months at a time but most of my flights are only a few minutes long, an hour tops.

We're all just heads in jars and our commanders are all telepresence.
    That would probably explain how we cope with the Googleplex of G's we'd experience when slowing from 1000 C to zero in a few seconds.

Installing space legs assumes that everyone has legs. What about those that don't? Like other's have stated, after a certain duration involving Exploration for example, where as one is in zero gravity for an extended amouth of time, how would they get to the board and to reap their rewards when turning in the data. It's a fine idea for all the puddle jumpers that rarely if ever leave the bubble. Or go from station to station hawking their wares hoping to get a better price on items they've invested in. Or the casual weekender, who only shows up for a few hours when his wife allows, and collects a few bounties.

But for the rest of us hard core space cadets who bascally live out in the void. Being mandated to have to walk wouldn't work.

to qoute op "Weak, unable to maintain vertical posture we would break."
    LoL Im already there cmdr...... from sitting in a chair on earth playing a video game....too long

Originally Posted by TheMegaTurnip View Post (Source)
    For tha new Belter state!
    BELTALOWDA!

Originally Posted by Zeeman View Post (Source)
    Space legs cancellation confirmed!

Z...
    Exo-skeletons and powered armor confirmed!

I'd doubt that all cmdrs of the pilot's federation have atrophied muscles. Many pilots park their ships in a rotating station or on a planetoid base with some gravitation. Most trips upon entering a new system to a planetary body only takes an average of 2 to 15 minutes , where pilots then don't have to fly in supercruise to another star taking days in zero-g. I find much of the time when I log out of ED ,my ship is parked in a station. Then it's assumed your pilot either stays in the ship to sleep or goes off into the station for meals, drinks or r & r. Conscientious pilots would probably have some exercise regimen or prior training guidelines to spend part of the hours in the week in some environment with close to 1g.

Originally Posted by Cmdr Nemo LXXI View Post (Source)
    But for the rest of us hard core space cadets who bascally live out in the void. Being mandated to have to walk wouldn't work.
    Are we suggesting that the entire human race has lost the will to exercise by 3304?

I'm assuming that the lard-bucket mentality will have eradicated itself by then.

Muscle atrophy.

Plain and simple, our CMDRs will be physically unable to move in 1g gravity. Most of our time we spend in space, flying between places. Our ships aren't equipped with artificial gravity so all the time we are affected with 0g. Occasional force induced upon our bodies while maneuvering isn't enough to keep our muscle's strength. And I don't see our CMDRs take extra exercise to stay fit. The only source of gravity strong enough is within space stations - which we don't stay long inside.

So when hypothetical space legs would arrive it would be doom for all of us. Weak, unable to maintain vertical posture we would break. And then we would die. Horribly.
    In the long run, once accustomed to living in low gravity situations --even lower gravity planets, we will evolve in different ways. I believe I recall Neil Degrasse Tyson saying something to the effect of, "the day we live in another colony, is the day that those people cease to be humans." He was speaking in pretty much every way possible. We will acclimate to our environments, whether this is in a colony on Mars, Europa, or a space station. Think of the long term impacts. Thousands of years from now. But I get what you mean, in this more immediate future that's probably true.

Originally Posted by BL1P View Post (Source)
    Can we Engineer our legs or maybe get guardian upgraded legs.

Also when we die can we rebuy legs if they broke ?
    No but in this future we may be able to regrow our own, via, stem cells. LOL Hey the tech is nearly there now.

Originally Posted by Bashy81 View Post (Source)
    OP was kidding. Hope you were too! In any case, I see a lot of gamebreaking immersion killers cited, and I just wonder why some ppl pin their imaginative energies on one thing and switch off for everything else.
    My immersion killer is the damn super sonic afterburner sound when you boost, along with the vibrations in assistance mode that make it feel like atmosphere. You don't get that in space, and you wouldn't hear the sounds from a third person perspective. When a fighter pilot pins the throttle he doesn't hear "craaaaack, rumble, echo echo echo..." as it trails off. For this reason I set the SFX volume down to minimal. Just enough to hear the FSD sounds and the bass in the initial boost. I also turn off the camera motions as that is what makes it act like atmosphere with the shaking.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast