Thread: Closing threads instead of banning posters.

Closing threads instead of banning posters.

Seems currently a lot of threads are being closed because one or two posters are starting flamewars or de-railing the thread. Once a few warnings have been issued the thread in question is then closed.

This seems to me to just allow forum-meta to be used to close threads and stifle conversation.

Can we start timing-out or banning people who don't listen to the mods warnings ; rather than close the thread which may well be what they are intentionally trying to achieve?

Most threads are repeats of repeats. Closing them is a mercy. And this one is bound to get moved / locked for being OT in DD, so bye bye

Just seems wrong to allow people to intentionaly get threads they don't like closed by forum-fu. Mods if this is in the wrong place please at least push to Brett.c. and the comms' team as I feel this is a really unfair tactic used by a handfull of posters.

Originally Posted by Factabulous View Post (Source)
    Most threads are repeats of repeats. Closing them is a mercy. And this one is bound to get moved / locked for being OT in DD, so bye bye
    Repeats of repeats of repeats. Close everyone. Close the forum.

Maybe we'll get both in this thread.

Originally Posted by Majic-12 View Post (Source)
    Maybe we'll get both in this thread.
    Perhaps but I don't think we should be rewarding or reinforcing negative forum behaviours by giving them what they want.

Originally Posted by Factabulous View Post (Source)
    Sounds a lot like the BBC. Repeats of repeats of repeats.

Threads nobody responds to die fastest, so there's probably a lot less forum fu going on than you think. It's more a case of people getting overly personal when it's an emotive issue so more reports/infractions/more hassle for the mods hence closures.

This is just not feasible.
    The mods would have to consider the context very carefully to be fair to everybody. You say

because one or two posters are starting flamewars or de-railing the thread
    but its not that easy to detect in most of the cases.

I say: Mods do in general a good job and anything else or more would be too much effort.

I agree with the OP. Punish derailers not the rest of us.

Yup it happened to me recently.

OP I agree with your take on the reasons for why this happens. In my case, as I had already received an infraction for responding to the first of the two members, I requested that the thread be closed before I got myself banned. Same effect though.

The shame of it was that I had previously respected both forum members and was completely blindsided by the attack.

All it takes is a word...

Discuss

Originally Posted by Wolf Starslayer View Post (Source)
    Seems currently a lot of threads are being closed because one or two posters are starting flamewars or de-railing the thread. Once a few warnings have been issued the thread in question is then closed.

This seems to me to just allow forum-meta to be used to close threads and stifle conversation.

Can we start timing-out or banning people who don't listen to the mods warnings ; rather than close the thread which may well be what they are intentionally trying to achieve?
    Totally agree with this, it promotes a healthy and ethically just forum. Having a forum environment where it is possible for a minority to troll threads and shut them down so that nobody else can talk is very unhealthy.

I highly agree with more strict control of the forums, from an outsider prespective.

I feel that this is a game that relies very much on a healthy community. Being new here, I'm still testing the waters to see if this is a place to hang out with others playing the game, but every time I log in, it feels like it's nothing but people complaining about features of the game and then arguing about them. It feels very toxic here.

I've got enough real life drama. I play this game and read up on the forums to relax, not to get into a shouting match with a bunch of armchair game developers that think they understand resource management and constraints better than FDev.