Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone else do this?

Anyone else do this?

I sleep on the cold floor during summer. No blankets, just a pillow to rest my head on.

You are a cat !

Originally Posted by Patrick_68000 View Post (Source)
    You are a cat !
    Probably.

Seriously though. I cannot begin to describe how refreshing it is. I'm currently in the hottest place in all of England, and getting a good night's sleep is hard.

I was also a little drunk last night. World Cup mourning. Today I wake up on the floor... Well I have no idea what I did last night but man I feel good now!

Originally Posted by Patrick_68000 View Post (Source)
    You are a cat !
    Or maybe even a mat

Originally Posted by Winterwalker View Post (Source)
    Or maybe even a mat
    Funny you should say that... My name is Matthew!

Originally Posted by Un1k0rn View Post (Source)
    Funny you should say that... My name is Matthew!
    It was inevitable.

In answer to OP .. don't really have a cold floor to sleep on because I sleep in attic space, and it is hot! (freezing in winter too, though not compaining, usually about the right temp for a week in April and again for a few days, somewhere around the end of September).

Cold shower before bed and sleep under a sheet is about the only/best advice I can give, though I do have a fan that I point (perhaps bizarrely) out the window. I do that to push warm air out and hopefully draw cooler in. Fans I find otherwise, just push hot air from one place to the other.

Originally Posted by Winterwalker View Post (Source)
    just push hot air from one place to the other.
    Sir is an expert in computer case ventilation

At the moment my bedroom sounds like a hovercraft.

A few years ago I bought a Dalek. Well not a real Dalek - just a portable air-conditioner that looks like a Dalek. It cost a lot more than the water-evaporation and ice-block rubbish and costs an arm and a leg to run with the fan and compressor motor but by heck it makes my life so much more comfortable in this weather.

I did this not two weeks ago.
    Just finished a heat wave here.
    My heat pump* broke in late May, repair guy showed up July 4 (5 days into the heat wave), couldn't fix it.
    My house was avg of 31 celcius day and night, for about 10 days.
    Even the basement had warmed up to the rest of the house.
    Spent at least 2 nights on the wood floor right beside the patio door, pillow only.

*A heat pump is used for supplemental heating, during the cool months, and is good until the outside temp goes to -12 celcius.
    This saves money as you don't have to run your 'real' furnace.
    Air conditioning is part of a heat pump installation.
    Presently pricing out a new one.

I am currently sleeping in a bath full of cold water, with a snorkel.

Originally Posted by Oss133 View Post (Source)
    Have you try without snorkel ?

Originally Posted by Oss133 View Post (Source)
    I'm really proud of you.

Originally Posted by EUS View Post (Source)
    I did this not two weeks ago.
    Just finished a heat wave here.
    My heat pump* broke in late May, repair guy showed up July 4 (5 days into the heat wave), couldn't fix it.
    My house was avg of 31 celcius day and night, for about 10 days.
    Even the basement had warmed up to the rest of the house.
    Spent at least 2 nights on the wood floor right beside the patio door, pillow only.

*A heat pump is used for supplemental heating, during the cool months, and is good until the outside temp goes to -12 celcius.
    This saves money as you don't have to run your 'real' furnace.
    Air conditioning is part of a heat pump installation.
    Presently pricing out a new one.
    Our air conditioner went out too. I don't know the celcius equivalent, but the temps here are in the 100F range. The repair guy got it going on July 5 and it went out again on July 9. I put window units in until it can be permanently fixed. The repair guy came by yesterday and said it'll be a couple of days before he can give me a quote on a whole new system.

Until then, it's window units and fans. Like speedcuffs above, our bedroom sounds like a hovercraft. Same with the den.

If you need to cool down in a hurry get a cold tap running, and hold your wrist in the flow (specifically the pulse point of your wrist). As this is where your blood flow is closest to the surface the cold running water will take the heat out of your blood. Within ten minutes your body temperature will have dropped by a few degrees. The strangest bit is feeling the cold climbing up your arm!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast