Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Defending Traders in Ebor (Bounty Hunting)

Originally Posted by lil_dave View Post (Source)
    Does anyone notice that it seems to change nightly? For example I was at the LowRes site on Monday night and barely scraped $200k in bounties (I am still n00bish) but then on Tues night I racked up $790k in bounties (and a few non CG bounties as well). They were easy as. But then last night ... I only got $200k again. I have been using a kill warrant scanner as well.

And I rammed my first ship. A wanted Sidewinder just sitting still. Accidentally. I turned and got one shot off. He died.

Is ramming a thing?
    Each time you arrive in a RES it is likely you will get a different mix of targets showing up.

Ramming is a well known tactic but risky, the dark side of it is if you are going faster than 100 in the no fire zone of a station and someone rams you in a small shieldless ship such as an Eagle their ship will die and the station security will be shooting at you for causing death by speeding.

Originally Posted by CMDR QUANTIS TRAP View Post (Source)
    Anyone get the feeling that bounty payouts in res have been nerfed in the last month or so? It could just be RNG but I've been killing the same ships types of wanted ships I was about a month or so ago and the bounties on them seem to be quite a bit lower than they were then.

I'm generally all for Frontier nerfing huge payouts, but I've not considered bounties as something which needed nerfing.

It's entirely random.

Last night I exited and re-enterd the HazRez 4 times, to create a decent spawn table. Sunday I think, 8 times.

The amounts are random too.

Basically

Elite:Roll-A-Dice

Is ramming a thing?
    It adds to your DPS provided you have biweaves. More so if you are stopping to pick up materials.

Originally Posted by Trickle View Post (Source)
    It adds to your DPS provided you have biweaves. More so if you are stopping to pick up materials.
    Even better if you ram them into an other object after your first contact...

Originally Posted by aRJay View Post (Source)
    Each time you arrive in a RES it is likely you will get a different mix of targets showing up.

Ramming is a well known tactic but risky, the dark side of it is if you are going faster than 100 in the no fire zone of a station and someone rams you in a small shieldless ship such as an Eagle their ship will die and the station security will be shooting at you for causing death by speeding.
    So if someone rams me? And they die? I get shot at for causing their death?

But ramming is okay outside of that no fire zone? I play in SOLO so I am not using it against OPEN players.

That video pushing that Anaconda into the asteroid - was the best thing I have seen today.

Maybe I'm being impatient but is there any reason I can't complete and claim prize for the CG despite it having finished?

Originally Posted by PhilBFC View Post (Source)
    Maybe I'm being impatient but is there any reason I can't complete and claim prize for the CG despite it having finished?
    It usually takes the clerk with an abacus 30-60 minutes to check the figures before the collection desk opens.

Made the top 50%...best I've done in a bounty hunting CG (only really started working on combat after the Krait came out). No idea why I was avoiding the HazRES...if you pick your battles, they're not bad at all (i.e. don't take on a wing of 3 large elite ships).

I always enjoyed buzzing around high-ranked Anacondas in my Vulture, but it took sooooo long to take them out...the Krait is just perfect for me. Agile enough to stay behind & below, but packs a heck of a punch. I just wish the two hardpoints on either side up top were a little more forward...my beams keep cutting off when I point just a bit too high. But, with the Krait's agility, it really isn't much trouble getting them lined up again!

So if someone rams me? And they die? I get shot at for causing their death?

But ramming is okay outside of that no fire zone? I play in SOLO so I am not using it against OPEN players.
    You get shot at for getting stuck to long in the letterbox, loitering over the wrong pad and trespassing into a station without landing permission. The surprise is that you only get a fine for a collision in the no fire zone and nothing other than a ticking off for speeding.

Originally Posted by Yushiro View Post (Source)
    Made the top 50%...best I've done in a bounty hunting CG (only really started working on combat after the Krait came out). No idea why I was avoiding the HazRES...if you pick your battles, they're not bad at all (i.e. don't take on a wing of 3 large elite ships).

I always enjoyed buzzing around high-ranked Anacondas in my Vulture, but it took sooooo long to take them out...the Krait is just perfect for me. Agile enough to stay behind & below, but packs a heck of a punch. I just wish the two hardpoints on either side up top were a little more forward...my beams keep cutting off when I point just a bit too high. But, with the Krait's agility, it really isn't much trouble getting them lined up again!
    I got halfway through top 10% in my Krait in the HazRes in Ebor. I'm totally with ya on the Krait, for myself, it strikes a balance which I prefer. Also, I enjoy having my NPC crewmember in the SLF distracting and killing quite few on his own as Deadly. I don't mind sharing the credits, he deserved every bit of his cut. I tried some runs, as well, in my Vulture, but just like you said, took too much time to take out the big ones. I just really love the Krait and the SLF combo. I love flying the Taipan and Imp fighter, especially. :-)

Originally Posted by aRJay View Post (Source)
    You get shot at for getting stuck to long in the letterbox, loitering over the wrong pad and trespassing into a station without landing permission. The surprise is that you only get a fine for a collision in the no fire zone and nothing other than a ticking off for speeding.
    Indeed and i'll add to that, while npcs (even pirates that were generated by a mission, who normally chase you to the ends of the Universe), make no attempt to fire their weapons or defend themselves in station's no fire zones and will only attempt to jump away from the zone if they just left a station or will jump away if they followed you to a station...
    (Though pirates that ran from the no fire zone, will re-engage you if you exit the zone, if they're still around or may jump back in, if they jumped out.)

Which is something you can take advantage of if you spot a wanted ship leaving a station, particularly if you can mass lock it...

I've killed quite a few wanted ships trying to flee a station (including since the new crime and punishment system) and you'll get rewarded the full kill bounty owed on them, while earning a 100-400 credit fine, depending how far from the station they are when they die...

Which sure forces you to dock under "anonymous access" and pay the fine before you can use most station services, but a few days ago i caught three separate wanted ships as i left a station, returning to pay the fine after each kill...

Sure i could have ignored them and would have if i was in a hurry, but it was basically a sequence of kill target, earn bounty reward, go back and pay the fine, kill target, earn bounty reward, pay the fine, kill target, go back... - pity it wasn't in the CG sector, but in a neighbouring one ...

Originally Posted by tanner1ie View Post (Source)
    Indeed and i'll add to that, while npcs (even pirates that were generated by a mission, who normally chase you to the ends of the Universe), make no attempt to fire their weapons or defend themselves in station's no fire zones and will only attempt to jump away from the zone if they just left a station or will jump away if they followed you to a station...
    (Though pirates that ran from the no fire zone, will re-engage you if you exit the zone, if they're still around or may jump back in, if they jumped out.)

Which is something you can take advantage of if you spot a wanted ship leaving a station, particularly if you can mass lock it...

I've killed quite a few wanted ships trying to flee a station (including since the new crime and punishment system) and you'll get rewarded the full kill bounty owed on them, while earning a 100-400 credit bounty, depending how far from the station they are when they die...

Which sure forces you to dock under "anonymous access" and pay the fine before you can use most station services, but a few days ago i caught three separate wanted ships as i left a station, returning to pay the fine after each kill...

Sure i could have ignored them and would have if i was in a hurry, but it was basically a sequence of kill target, get paid, go back and pay the fine, kill target, get paid, pay the fine, kill target - pity it wasn't in the CG sectors, but in a neighbouring one ...
    That's a bit confusing.
    Do you do that and get a bounty or a fine?

Originally Posted by Speedcuffs View Post (Source)
    That's a bit confusing.
    Do you do that and get a bounty or a fine?
    I'm saying you get paid the pretty large reward for killing wanted ships in the no fire zone, while earning a tiny fine for deploying, using your weapons and damaging a ship (but it's not murder, as it's a wanted ship) .

You only get a bounty on your head if you kill a clean ship (edit: or under the old system at least, if you fired on a clean or unscanned wanted ship - i had police try to kill me for 100 credit bounties earned for accidentally firing too early on wanted ships, though i haven't "pre-fired" since the new C and P system came in), but once a ship is wanted, even for accidental fire, you're free and rewarded for killing it in this game .

Edit: Also, yes i've a pretty big typo in the original version of my post, i said "100 -400 credit bounty", that should say specifically "credit fine", which i've now fixed, sorry for that....

This game often confuses you with the terms it use, for example, any fines or bounties on your head are all listed together in the interstellar factors screen (while listed separately in your transaction log), which is annoying for the following reasons...

I'm generally a very clean player and the only fines or bounties i ever earn a basically accidental.

Some the missions in this game slap pretty big fines on you if you fail them by letting them time out (for whatever reason) or die before completing them and though you're forced to pay the fines at any of the "wronged" factions' affiliated station to use most services, beyond that you can basically ignore them.

While in a very few instances i've shot at a wanted ship before fully scanning it and received a "legitimate" or accidentally rammed a smaller ship to death and actually deserved a bounty on my head, but today in this CG, i only engaged legitimate wanted targets and overall in the last few days earned 4 million in CG qualifying bounty rewards, and another 1 to 2 million for secondary bounty rewards...

But of all those wanted ships literally four of them where ships from "enemy" powerplay factions and i now have bounties from four of the powers on my head of 11,000 each (well actually three right now, i found an interstellar faction to clear one of them basically straight away, but had not earned any notoriety), though no bounty hunters have yet been sent after me, and the local police don't care about them.

(When failed mission fines, which i never paid, which then turned into bounties under the old crime and punishment system did sent legitimate bounty hunters after me...

Though if they attacked me in a system where i was clean, they were instantly wanted and i was paid for defending myself ).

Anyway, hopefully that's all clear now .

Edit: Second and hopefully final edit...

Indeed i nearly forgot a point i was making there, since the interstellar faction lists fines and bounties you owe are all listed together and i only intend to pay the bounties, least i earn notoriety, if i don't clear them, or the powerplay factions start sending bounty hunters after me, which maybe you can't defend yourself from anymore...

Is that to find the specify powerplay bounties, i've to check the name of each faction i "wronged" (even though i generally got paid a typical bounty reward for killing them, let's say 200,000 for a Python etc, showing they must have been faction aligned pirates) in my transaction tab, then find that specific bills in the interstellar factor, short of paying all the fines i owe, in one action .

Originally Posted by tanner1ie View Post (Source)
    I'm saying you get paid the pretty large reward for killing wanted ships in the no fire zone, while earning a tiny fine for deploying, using your weapons and damaging a ship (but it's not murder, as it's a wanted ship) .

You only get a bounty on your head if you kill a clean ship, but once a ship is wanted, even for accidental fire, you're free and rewarded for killing it in this game .
    This has given me an idea.
    (Checks for nearest IF)

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456