Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Starting the Great Journey

Starting the Great Journey

After more than a year of playing I've decided to make a grand tour of the galaxy. Any advice?

Things to equip, places to visit etc.

Which ship, and how is she outfitted? Plan to be away for months, take your time else you'll get space fever and need to return. Above all, fill the cooler with enough beer.

Best scoop possible—- If new to scooping turn off shields— good afmu and perhaps planetary scanner—- SRV—- and every 20 jumps land and mine for synthesis
    Good Luck

I'd say what to take would largely be based on what type of ship you are planning on using and what type of trip you are planning on taking. Did you want to make it to the center and back for the achievement? Are you planning on making a lot of stops for photo ops? Are you planning making a lot of scans, do you want to be first to scan multiple planets? These all would change what your initial loadout should be.

I suggest a medium sized ship capable of 35+ly jumps. DBX, dolphin, and asp Explorer come to mind. Of course you can use really any ship. I suggest the med ships because they handle better. But 35ly minimum guarantees you can make it anywhere in the galaxy. If you’re thinking extended trip, AFMU is a good idea. Bring shields, down graded as much as possible. I use them as a landing buffer to avoid ship damage. Biggest fuel scoop your ship can take. SRV is a must in my opinion for gathering mats for synthesis and as a diversion.

Optional bonus: if you take a ship that can hold a fighter bay, Fighters are fun to zoom around in when you need a change of pace.

Thanks for the responses, folks.

I'll be using a DBX for the trip. I'm basically looking to go round the entire galaxy in an irregular loop, so mostly likely avoiding the centre, but hopefully exploring previously unknown star systems. I might pop in to Colonia.

It'll be a chance to take some great images, hopefully plant a flag in an unexplored system, encounter some unusual phenomena - whatever that might be - and get a lot of scan data to cash in. Current jump range is around 30ly, so I'll upgrade again before setting off.

Hope you know where the self destruct button is???
    Only joking-))),good luck Cmdr. o7.

Don't forget to take a mining laser.

Originally Posted by AlphaPapaEcho View Post (Source)
    Hope you know where the self destruct button is???
    Only joking-))),good luck Cmdr. o7.
    Lol. Thanks. I always play in Open, so hoping I don't get ganked on the way back when I'm looking to cash in nav data.

I'm curious, how long or how many trips is it usually to Colonia from the bubble? I'm expecting thousands of jumps during this trip, but wanted to get a rough Idea of what's involved.

Originally Posted by Evoflash View Post (Source)
    Don't forget to take a mining laser.
    Any particular reason? Mining obviously, but is this for synthesis?

Originally Posted by Flugel Meister View Post (Source)
    Any particular reason? Mining obviously, but is this for synthesis?
    Yes. You can run out of jumponium and get stuck. A mining laser can save your bacon, and it's very light.

Have you got a ship build in mind?

Originally Posted by Evoflash View Post (Source)
    Yes. You can run out of jumponium and get stuck. A mining laser can save your bacon, and it's very light.

Have you got a ship build in mind?
    DBX, originally built with surveillance and long range reconnaissance in mind because I though it might be something that would occur with the return of the Thargoids. How wrong was I? Lol.

I've actually never mined. I know, I sound absurd. But I appreciate any advice on it.

I suppose what I'm really asking is what do I need to synthesise fuel?

Flugel, you donít need a mining laser heís just pulling your leg. Everything you need for synthesis can be found planet side. You canít synthesize fuel per say, however you can use mats to increase jump range for a little while. I might suggest before heading out, go to the panel on your right, tabbing over to synthesis and see what those are. Visit a raw mat broker and stock up before heading out!

Flugel Meister, this is a great thread, as I am just planning the same thing and I am also planning to take my DB-X. Jump range is a smidge over 35ly. So thank you for gathering such a useful bunch of responses all in one place. I'm figuring to have some fun, see the sights, gain a better understanding of my place in the universe, and raise the funds for a shiny new T-9 on my return through handing in mountains of exploration data. Oh, and my name on a planet would be lovely.

As a fellow novice I have no advice to offer, other than to say that in my view you have made a very sound choice of trip!!

Good luck out there.

o7

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast