Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 32

Thread: PSA: Thargoids for killin' in HIP 44811 & Wolf 636 this week

  1. #1

    PSA: Thargoids for killin' in HIP 44811 & Wolf 636 this week

    Aegis megaships in both systems (missions may be rubbish). Also attacked megaships and distress calls.

    Advice on outfitting here: https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showth...stions-for-All. The CR payout for scouts may be low, but the Combat rank is ok.

    Or more peaceful types can ship meds to the attacked starport in Tembala - I hear there are often lucrative contracts available.

    Worshippers of the Far God can try and make friends, this does not usually go well with scouts.

    Z0

  2. #2
    My repair bills and ammo costs would be more than I'd make.

    Sorry, but no thanks.

  3. #3
    Originally Posted by Mengy View Post (Source)
    My repair bills and ammo costs would be more than I'd make.

    Sorry, but no thanks.
    How so?

  4. #4
    I imagine Thargoid Scouts are a great way to train up a new SLF pilot.

  5. #5
    Originally Posted by Mengy View Post (Source)
    My repair bills and ammo costs would be more than I'd make.

    Sorry, but no thanks.
    Just for reference, I've killed a couple hundred Thargoid Scouts over the past 4 or 5 weeks using FGS and my Corvette. Sure they pay only 10k each, but together they've totaled $2 million plus. Repair costs have been minimal, since all that ever damages me is the rare Caustics (and my Decontamination Limpets handle that). Aside from the cash, my aim is vastly more practiced now than before, and my Combat rank, which was Novice, is now approaching Master.

    Oh, and the damaged stations were excellent for gaining Federation rank. So many fast runs of Refugees, I hauled like 10,000 of them or so. And now in 3.1 the Megaships have Escape Pod jettison points, which I welcome and has been a nice change of pace. I'm returning to base with a little over $1 million in rescued Escape Pods, each time out.

    Of course, every CMDRs mileage will vary. But there's been some nice fun (and profit) out of it, for me. And there is a good bit of non-combat play, too.

  6. #6
    Originally Posted by Mengy View Post (Source)
    My repair bills and ammo costs would be more than I'd make.

    Sorry, but no thanks.
    Like I said: for pilots who can't afford combat there are missions at the attacked starport (though you do need to be able to dock without a computer, so I could see that might be an issue ).

  7. #7
    Originally Posted by Factabulous View Post (Source)
    Like I said: for pilots who can't afford combat there are missions at the attacked starport (though you do need to be able to dock without a computer, so I could see that might be an issue ).
    *Is flying a Cutter towards the megaship*

    Crewmate: "We need to land without a docking computer, what do we do!?"

    Me: "...We die...."

    *Rams the megaship and explodes because the cutter can't turn away fast enough.*

  8. #8
    Originally Posted by Factabulous View Post (Source)
    Like I said: for pilots who can't afford combat there are missions at the attacked starport (though you do need to be able to dock without a computer, so I could see that might be an issue ).
    Thargoids hunt missions available and actual spawning Thargoids ?.

  9. #9
    Originally Posted by Factabulous View Post (Source)
    Aegis megaships in both systems (missions may be rubbish). Also attacked megaships and distress calls.

    Advice on outfitting here: https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showth...stions-for-All. The CR payout for scouts may be low, but the Combat rank is ok.

    Or more peaceful types can ship meds to the attacked starport in Tembala - I hear there are often lucrative contracts available.

    Worshippers of the Far God can try and make friends, this does not usually go well with scouts.

    Z0
    Thanks for the tip. Would be kinda neat if this stuff was actually in-game...

  10. #10
    The peaceful minded could also support this week’s CG. Looks promising!

  11. #11
    Originally Posted by Stigbob View Post (Source)
    Thargoids hunt missions available and actual spawning Thargoids ?.
    I would assume not, they're usually bugged. Anyone know different?

  12. #12
    No problem, I've got this.

    I'll just scare them off with my Xeno Hunter decal pack.

  13. #13
    Originally Posted by Factabulous View Post (Source)
    Aegis megaships in both systems (missions may be rubbish). Also attacked megaships and distress calls.

    Advice on outfitting here: https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showth...stions-for-All. The CR payout for scouts may be low, but the Combat rank is ok.
    Combat rank is more than ok, you gain more rank killing a scout than killing an elite NPC. Credits wise I normally broke even but when I was trying to increase my rank from deadly the scouts were without doubt the fastest method out there.

  14. #14
    Originally Posted by Mengy View Post (Source)
    My repair bills and ammo costs would be more than I'd make.

    Sorry, but no thanks.
    I never understand how this is the case. The payout is bad, but it isn't that bad. I'd say the most common NHSS in the attack systems in a Threat 4, usually containing four scouts which will pay 40k in total for clearing the signal source. That alone will almost cover my repair costs for all the scouts killed combined before I have to go and restock (usually about 40, so 400k credits per repair/restock). If you're repair/restock bills are so high then I'd suggest changing your ship and outfitting to something more suited to scouts.

    Saying that, the payout for scouts is abysmal, and although profits are made they are small and I wouldn't blame you for not fighting because of this. FDev really need to up the payouts for all Thargoid hunting, or at the very least up the payout for the new scouts to 50k minimum so it will be in line with the damages and risks involved.

  15. #15
    Originally Posted by jacob99 View Post (Source)
    I never understand how this is the case. The payout is bad, but it isn't that bad. I'd say the most common NHSS in the attack systems in a Threat 4, usually containing four scouts which will pay 40k in total for clearing the signal source. That alone will almost cover my repair costs for all the scouts killed combined before I have to go and restock (usually about 40, so 400k credits per repair/restock). If you're repair/restock bills are so high then I'd suggest changing your ship and outfitting to something more suited to scouts.

    Saying that, the payout for scouts is abysmal, and although profits are made they are small and I wouldn't blame you for not fighting because of this. FDev really need to up the payouts for all Thargoid hunting, or at the very least up the payout for the new scouts to 50k minimum so it will be in line with the damages and risks involved.
    For me it's usually about 70k ammo (plasma chargers) 40k repairs (chieftain/challenger) so I need 11 scout kills to break even which isn't hard to do at all. Everything beyond that is profit, it just seems a little pointless.

    Oddly enough splat a couple of pirates on the way out or in and you double or triple your profit. Thargoid payouts are at the level bounties were at in 2014.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast