Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Achieved Federation Rank "Admiral" (!) - is it too easy?

Achieved Federation Rank "Admiral" (!) - is it too easy?

Today I finally achieved my Federal Rank of "Admiral", it's only taken four years but heck, it was an interesting journey which to tell the truth is was little bitter-sweet in the end. I took my time not rushing but in the end I almost feel that I didn't earn it. The final mission was ludicrously easy having to take down a defector at "Master" level. Took all of 5 minutes with the ATR chiming in and trying to steal my thunder. I think these missions need a little rethink on FDev's part, seems like rank progression was a little harder in the "old" days; anyway I'm not complaining as I enjoyed the overall experience - nice to be one of the other zillion "Admiral's" out there Now to work on the Imperial side of things

Dont confuse taking a long time to do something with difficulty.

The rank going up less in the old days didnt make it more difficult,it made it take longer.

Regarding the naval missions themselves,id agree there could be an improvement there. The problem is there the same missions the board normally randomly generates just with the word naval in front of them.

I could get behind super power missions being their own unique type of mission,with some sort of difficulty preogression as your rank goes up.

One problem i see with rank and why i dont really see anything changing is that FDev seem to have got the message that a lot of the community hated how long it took,some hated rank locks at all. I cant see them looking to develop something further that they know a portion of players dont like it.

Oh and also gratz on the promotion CMDR
    o7

I like how long it takes. It's not for being achieved within a few days and then complain the about the grind. It is supposed to take long and should always stay that way.
    I also think OP meant the difficulty level of the missions associated with ranking up, not the time it takes.

Congrats Iron Admiral.

Valorin is Exactly right. It was the final mission that was a little disappointing but I enjoyed the entire journey

Thanks for the congratz all ..

If you consider you get nothing for it, it basically does nothing, even if you did nothing you've earned it.

Originally Posted by Speedcuffs View Post (Source)
    Congrats Iron Admiral.
    Funnily enough I am 'Iron "Duke"' with the Imperials

The final mission should be soloing a majestic class interdictor that's got a Thargoid Medusa stuck in the circular hole part, which is very angry with the world. Really.

Originally Posted by Valorin View Post (Source)
    I like how long it takes. It's not for being achieved within a few days and then complain the about the grind. It is supposed to take long and should always stay that way.
    I also think OP meant the difficulty level of the missions associated with ranking up, not the time it takes.
    Thats what i meant,it taking a long time doesnt add any difficulty,it just adds time the player has to invest in it. I personally dont think it should take years but making the rank progress slower adds no difficulty.

The difficulty would come in rank progression ie the naval missions

At the moment it just generates a standard missions from the board and puts naval in front of them. You could deliver a data mission for 50k to become king.

Why not have an elite level assasination mission to be king?

If the missions were specific to the rank your trying to unlock,getting more difficult as your rank progressed,then that would be better. Tailored difficulty to your rank.

Originally Posted by El_Hefe View Post (Source)
    Why not have an elite level assasination mission to be king?
    Because ED isn't just about shooting stuff.

Originally Posted by Valorin View Post (Source)
    But it can easily be achieved in a few days. I went from Squire to Duke in one evening.

Originally Posted by DrewCarnegie View Post (Source)
    Its a navy mission though,do you think you should be able to progress to king in the imperial navy without firing a shot?

The assasination mission was also just an example of a mission that could be deemed difficult rather than saying thats actaully what they should do.

In general i agree ED is not a soley combat focused game.

Its a navy mission though,do you think you should be able to progress to king in the imperial navy without firing a shot?

The assasination mission was also just an example of a mission that could be deemed difficult rather than saying thats actaully what they should do.

In general i agree ED is not a soley combat focused game.
    Navies also have logistic functions... just sayin.

Oh also, research and intelligence divisions, etc.

It's not all about combat.

Originally Posted by Sylveria View Post (Source)
    Navies also have logistic functions... just sayin.

Oh also, research and intelligence divisions, etc.

It's not all about combat.
    No id agree,what i asked though is should you be able to go all the way to king with no combat at all?

No id agree,what i asked though is should you be able to go all the way to king with no combat at all?
    Drew didn't say no combat should be required.

Originally Posted by DrewCarnegie View Post (Source)
    Sure, combat *can* be a requirement- but it should not be the only requirement, nor the only given choice.

That could be remedied in the same way ranking currently works- rank missions are offered in a variety of choices, as it should be.

No one likes to be pigeonholed.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast