Thread: Planetary generation system aka compute shaders...where are the shader cache file/s stored ?

Planetary generation system aka compute shaders...where are the shader cache file/s stored ?

Hi. So i've got a intel hd 4600, yeah it sucks... yet here i am in game with Horizons loaded after like 6 minutes, one crash report window closed, some more minutes of alt tabiing.....i'm in. Game works.

Now since my pathetic intel hd 4600 (which is only compatible with DX 12, OpenGL 4.3, OpenCl 1.2 and HL SL 5.0) has managed to get through the planetary generation system...WHERE is the data written ? The cache for these compute shaders ? I want to make the file or files read only via windows file properties and so to keep them there saved for next time...presto no more 8 minute load time.( It's not like these planets magically change surfaces every other day, or is it ? What's going on ?)

Is that possible ? Where are these shader caches stored ?

The shader cache format depends on hardware, driver version, and game version. You can't reliably "pin" compiled shaders without things breaking every time one of those factors changes.

As for the location, try C:\ProgramData\Intel\ShaderCache

On Steam folder structure ? Where is that programdata ?

I've seen some shadercache/nvidia1 or something like that...but no intel.

On steam version where is compute shader cache stored after it's calculated ?

Check the setting of Options->Graphics->Shader Preparation on Startup - turning it off may shave some time off (I think it's the 2nd timing phase it disables).

Originally Posted by MAIN SEQUENCE View Post (Source)
    Check the setting of Options->Graphics->Shader Preparation on Startup - turning it off may shave some time off (I think it's the 2nd timing phase it disables).
    If I remember rightly, it won't work for him, the game has to keep rebuilding the shaders as that first run never fully completes due to the errors it chucks up.

This is, of course, all down to the intel 4600 and is unlikely to be solved by the OP's proposed method.

Originally Posted by MickyG1982 View Post (Source)
    If I remember rightly, it won't work for him, the game has to keep rebuilding the shaders as that first run never fully completes due to the errors it chucks up.

This is, of course, all down to the intel 4600 and is unlikely to be solved by the OP's proposed method.
    Is it the same with the newer generations of Intel hd ? The 520 and 620 etc ?

Originally Posted by IVAN__V View Post (Source)
    Is it the same with the newer generations of Intel hd ? The 520 and 620 etc ?
    The newer generations aren't much better, but they aren't meant to be. Buying anything powered by a 610/620 and expecting better performance is akin to pouring hot water into a chocolate tea pot and expecting it to hold water.

It simply isn't going to happen.