Thread: A Question about Shields

A Question about Shields

So I started playing around in the ED Shipyard looking to build the best shield and I have a question regarding the best shield which will determine my composition of engineering for boosters and shield.

Is the most effective shield, one that achieves the highest effective strength at the lowest raw shield strength?

Because my understanding is that recharge rate is applied to raw shield strength so the smaller the raw shield the faster the regeneration (and I'm not talking about a broken shield) and any damage that the shield suffers is applied to the effective shield strength for that type of damage, thermal, kinetic or explosive.

So if I was comparing two shield / booster combinations and they both had identical effective strength the one with the smaller raw shield strength would be better due to the faster regeneration.

Originally Posted by Grumpy181155 View Post (Source)
    So I started playing around in the ED Shipyard looking to build the best shield and I have a question regarding the best shield which will determine my composition of engineering for boosters and shield.

Is the most effective shield, one that achieves the highest effective strength at the lowest raw shield strength?

Because my understanding is that recharge rate is applied to raw shield strength so the smaller the raw shield the faster the regeneration (and I'm not talking about a broken shield) and any damage that the shield suffers is applied to the effective shield strength for that type of damage, thermal, kinetic or explosive.

So if I was comparing two shield / booster combinations and they both had identical effective strength the one with the smaller raw shield strength would be better due to the faster regeneration.
    Yes as long as your not going up against railguns, Plasma Accelrators, or Thargoids. Then you want RAW, UNTAPPED shield strength.

Can you explain why rails, PAs and Thargoids are different or point me to some reading matter regarding the differences?

Originally Posted by Grumpy181155 View Post (Source)
    Can you explain why rails, PAs and Thargoids are different or point me to some reading matter regarding the differences?
    For rails and PAs they do Absolute Damage which bypasses any resistances. Thargoids do Abosute and Caustic damage, both which until recentil had much the same effect. Only now do we have things that give us caustic resistance, even then, its only to the hull.

Edit, wait no, keep forgetting rails dont do Absolute damage.

Because they deal a portion (Iirc 60%) of their damage as Absolute which totally ignores resistances

Quick google of damage types will explain it but that's the gist of it

*ninja'd!

Originally Posted by Kamiyoda View Post (Source)
    For rails and PAs they do Absolute Damage which bypasses any resistances. Thargoids do Abosute and Caustic damage, both which until recentil had much the same effect. Only now do we have things that give us caustic resistance, even then, its only to the hull.
    Rails do not do absolute damage.

Originally Posted by Frenotx View Post (Source)
    Rails do not do absolute damage.
    Whoops, ok then.

Originally Posted by Kamiyoda View Post (Source)
    Whoops, ok then.
    Collision / ramming IS absolute damage though, so one extra thing to be aware of with a low-absolute, high-resist shield.

Wonderful. Thanks all. I think I'll tread the middle road with an increase to both raw and resistance and put up with the longer regeneration.

On the shield generators you can use reinforced for an overall resistance and Mj boost with the fast recharge experimental to negate that mods downside.