Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Guardian tech into new ships. LETS GO CRASY !

Originally Posted by GraXXoR View Post (Source)
    I’ve found that whenever head canon is needed to explain a mechanic in game, it’s usually just because it just wasn’t coded very well, rather than there actually being a reason.

Also

RIP Prince.
    Originally Posted by Stealthie View Post (Source)
    So, I find a nice looking jug buried in a pile of rocks somewhere and the 'goids are willing to vaporise my ship over it but they're okay with me flying a ship built from Guardian parts?

That seems a little "inconsistent" to me.
    Now don't both of you start making too much sense. People will start to realize my theory is already full of holes. Of the Thargoid variety.

RIP Krait 1.0

Originally Posted by Gully_Foyle View Post (Source)
    MechWarrior 2 style?
    Yes please! And then the Federal Dropship can become a true Dropship! Oh the fun we'll have!

SpaceMech Legs!

Originally Posted by Sylveria View Post (Source)
    Yes please! And then the Federal Dropship can become a true Dropship! Oh the fun we'll have!

SpaceMech Legs!
    The Ministry Of Silly Walks

You have the Wrong Trousers !

Originally Posted by V'larr View Post (Source)
    Nah. I think going all Macross wouldn't be that great. I mean, it'd be implausible as heck - no sane engineer would create so many unecessary moving parts like that....

Sure it looks all snazzy and pretty in the anime shows and all, but, really...it's not a good idea. I honestly expect the IRL V-22 Osprey to be about as far as we'll ever get with that kind of idea, and the Osprey still isn't known at all for being reliable or, well, worthwhile (though, again, still totally cool and snazzy).

It does make me think of two things, though.

1. New Guardian ships for us to use...?

2. If a SLF-reboot (as envisioned in my signature thread) would occur, it could, in turn, allow for a small ship that can be its own SRV, by means of landing gear with wheels...? I'm not exactly sure how small is small enough for that, and if the current SLFs would qualify...but the possibility might still remain of a new SRV that is flight and jump-capable - sort of the 'light helicopter' of spaceships.
    http://suidobashijuko.jp/

Originally Posted by Sylveria View Post (Source)
    Does this mean Lave is Cybertron?
    I thought Lave had already been assimilated by the Borg?

Originally Posted by Stealthie View Post (Source)
    What surprised me was that the 'goids don't seem to care that you're flying a ship loaded with Guardian tech.

Carry a Guardian relic in your hold and they lose their poop but build your ship out of guardian scrap and they don't bat an eyelid (possibly because they don't have eyelids).

Seems like it would have been a nice "dilemma" if Guardian tech improves the performance of your ship but it also meant that you're going to be in trouble if you ever bump into a 'goid.
    I've been flying around Maia in my Krait equipped with some Guardian technology (plasma charger and Guardian MRP) and have been dropping into NHSS to scan Thargoid ships. I was fully expecting the Thargoid Interceptor to become immediately hostile due to having Guardian technology on my ship. From what I've read in the lore the Thargoid and Guardian AI was supposed to basically instantly detect each other's technology and attack on sight. Apparently the Guardian modules we're using aren't actually "Guardian" enough, i.e., they are recognized as "human" technology that simply happens to be based on Guardian designs rather than being true Guardian technology. That would certainly fit with the Thargoid relic triggering the aggro but not the use of Guardian-based weapons or modules that have been reverse-Engineered by humans. The other possibility is that it's simply a game balance issue where the entire point of the Guadian tech was to help CMDRs equip their ships to better fight Thargoids and if it turned us into instant Thargoid aggro magnets that would make it not particularly useful to routinely carry around on your ship.

Originally Posted by Tarman View Post (Source)
    Yeah, robot wars is cool and all...but practical....?

Originally Posted by V'larr View Post (Source)
    Yeah, robot wars is cool and all...but practical....?
    I'd say giant robot hands with the precision and control of your own hand would be pretty good as a construction vehicle at the very least. Needs some iteration but it doesn't look impossible at all.

Originally Posted by Tarman View Post (Source)
    I'd say giant robot hands with the precision and control of your own hand would be pretty good as a construction vehicle at the very least. Needs some iteration but it doesn't look impossible at all.
    Yeah...that is how the Battlemechs in Battletech came about, I suppose...but (barring a few somewhat silly exceptions) those still aren't really the Macross/Transformers kinda stuff mentioned thus far.

Originally Posted by Devari View Post (Source)
    Apparently the Guardian modules we're using aren't actually "Guardian" enough, i.e., they are recognized as "human" technology that simply happens to be based on Guardian designs rather than being true Guardian technology.
    Having unlocked the Guardian stuff, I can no longer see the descriptions in the Tech' Broker UI (Why remove them, FDev? Why not just, say, turn the stuff you've unlocked green instead?) but I seem to recall the description of certain items, such as the Sentinel Weapon/Wreckage parts says something like "salvaged items of Guardian technology used to construct new modules".

Can't recall the exact wording but it seemed to imply the Guardian mat's were used directly in the construction of our new modules.
    Course, that doesn't really work when you only provide them to unlock the modules and you don't have to provide them for every module you subsequently buy.

Alas, such is the slightly schizophrenic nature of ED at times.

I hope anime styled mechs, transformers, etc. never come into the game during ED's lifetime. So far, guardian sentinels' shape seem to be more along the lines of traditional Elite wedge-shaped ships.

Sure, someday in the future when the tech makes it trivial to make a game of ED's scope, there will be undoubtedly a glut of anime-styled clones with manga looking faces of pcs and npcs, just as there are plenty of those of rpg and adventure games available on steam today.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12