Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.
Thread: Can't find my posts

It's because of this stupid forum software, really waiting for the new forums, if those are even going to happen..

2. Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread. #17
    Originally Posted by Henkka77 View Post (Source)
    It's because of this stupid forum software, really waiting for the new forums, if those are even going to happen..
    It's best to have all the eggs in the basket and ducks in order before we press the buttons. I'm not going to rush it, that's for sure.

To give you a rather detailed idea of what's going on...

1. First off, we plan to merge the planet coaster forums into the Frontier forums.
      But that doesn't happen until the following is resolved properly, which does take time to test and complete...
      • Planet Coaster forums does not store user credentials (passwords) on the vbulletin forums, that's all stored on our internal accounts system.
        • PC forum accounts will end up hard password reset.

• Planet Coaster forums has a 'dual-user' issue where the same user on PC forums is registered on the Frontier Forums.
        • We plan to prefix all usernames from the pc forums that have a collision to PC_Username.

• User Group permissions do become a jumbled mess on merge to the Frontier Forums.
        • Have been looking for the best method to minimize this effect.

• Have been running a lot of tests on my local machine to ensure things won't go sideways once fully completed on our main forums.

2. We then need to ensure all - or at least most - addons we use on vBulletin exist or are natively included on XenForo2.
      • To give you an idea, these forums have 48 addons installed currently (there's probably about 10 disabled however).
        • It's sort of the reason why some generic social features (post-likes-system) aren't being bought and installed on VB4, as those addons do not carry over to XF2 or any other forum for that matter.
        • Forum Reputation appears to be vanishing with the change over to XF2. Have been looking at ways to convert +Rep'd posts to a "User Liked This Post".

• Some addons are custom coded to function on our forums .
      • Many addons have been re-coded slightly to be PHP 7.1 compliant.
      • Many addons are of 3rd party that we use for moderators, QA, general forum features.
        • To name a few public facing addons: Thread participants, Username changing, super stickies, QA bug submissions addon, staff post tagging, lower breadcrumbs/navigation, Un-BBCode-ize Quoted content, two factor auth, Sphinx Search, thread and forum ignoring.

3. On XenForo2, vBulletin4 themes obviously will not function at all, and a full re-do of all of those themes will need to happen.
      • With that in mind, the theme count will drastically be reduced.
      • Planning on a light and dark theme to each game we've developed in recent years.
        • Elite Dangerous, Planet Coaster, Jurassic World Evolution. Six total here, with 2 more below.

• Planning on a new Frontier light and dark theme (default theme for folks).
      • Revamp the forums index to show category bubbles of our games rather a Game category then all of its subforums (the mock designs i've come up for this work nicely).

4. Begin trial runs of forum conversions from VB4 to XF2.
      • Somewhere around 70 to 75GB will be the final database size on vBulletin 4 with PC and Frontier forums merged together.
      • Ensure locally that users transition correctly, along with associated posts and threads.

5. Setup a new Amazon AWS stack for the forums.
      • Setup ElasticSearch.
      • Setup a stack that can handle 10000 angry nerds mashing F5 waiting for patch notes.
      • Probably will go with an nginx setup for this - still up in the air on that.
      • Reconfigure the CloudFront/S3 static caches.
      • Migrate attachments from the database to CloudFront.

6. Continue to test local and on AWS Stack for any issues / errors / "things".

When the day comes for the forum move, we're probably looking at 24 hours of downtime. Simply due to the large scale of changes happening all at once.

That's...a lot of work. Reading that is giving me high blood pressure

Originally Posted by Brett C View Post (Source)
    It's best to have all the eggs in the basket and ducks in order before we press the buttons. I'm not going to rush it, that's for sure.

1. First off, we plan to merge the planet coaster forums into the Frontier forums.
      But that doesn't happen until the following is resolved properly, which does take time to test and complete...
      • Planet Coaster forums does not store user credentials (passwords) on the vbulletin forums, that's all stored on our internal accounts system.

• Planet Coaster forums has a 'dual-user' issue where the same user on PC forums is registered on the Frontier Forums.
        • We plan to prefix all usernames from the pc forums that have a collision to PC_Username.

• User Group permissions do become a jumbled mess on merge to the Frontier Forums.

• Have been running a lot of tests on my local machine to ensure things won't go sideways once fully completed on our main forums.

2. We then need to ensure all - or at least most - addons we use on vBulletin exist or are natively included on XenForo2.
      • To give you an idea, these forums have 48 addons installed currently (there's probably about 10 disabled however).
        • It's sort of the reason why some generic social features (post-likes-system) aren't being bought and installed on VB4, as those addons do not carry over to XF2 or any other forum for that matter.
        • Forum Reputation appears to be vanishing with the change over to XF2. Have been looking at ways to convert +Rep'd posts to a "User Liked This Post".

• Many addons are of 3rd party that we use for moderators, QA, general forum features.
        • To name a few public facing addons: Thread participants, Username changing, super stickies, QA bug submissions addon, staff post tagging, lower breadcrumbs/navigation, Un-BBCode-ize Quoted content, two factor auth, Sphinx Search, thread and forum ignoring.

3. On XenForo2, vBulletin4 themes obviously will not function at all, and a full re-do of all of those themes will need to happen.
      • Planning on a light and dark theme to each game we've developed in recent years.
        • Elite Dangerous, Planet Coaster, Jurassic World Evolution. Six total here, with 2 more below.

• Revamp the forums index to show category bubbles of our games rather a Game category then all of its subforums (the mock designs i've come up for this work nicely).

• Somewhere around 70 to 75GB will be the final database size on vBulletin 4 with PC and Frontier forums merged together.
      • Ensure locally that users transition correctly, along with associated posts and threads.

• Setup ElasticSearch.
      • Setup a stack that can handle 10000 angry nerds mashing F5 waiting for patch notes.

When the day comes for the forum move, we're probably looking at 24 hours of downtime. Simply due to the large scale of changes happening all at once.
    TLDR: it's complicated

Thanks Brett - you do an awesome job here by the way!

Originally Posted by Brett C View Post (Source)

• Setup ElasticSearch.

This is excellent communication thank you

Thanks Brett, good info. Will be waiting for the new forums.

I am only one reading Brett's post and thinking - I want take part of that incredibly complex process?

Headlock Hackers, strike again!

Originally Posted by Garud View Post (Source)
    That's...a lot of work. Reading that is giving me high blood pressure
    You should try where I work... You would also need answers to the following questions

Do you have a have a signed off Change Request?
    Approved by QA?
    No, no, even for a single SQL insert we need an approved change request.
    Yes QA have to sign off that they can see the change working in a test environment
    What do you mean QA won't be able to see the change?
    Yes they should pretend to be the user.
    No I'm sorry I cannot liaise with Security because spoofing the users account isn't allowed.

Have you got approvals now?
    I'm sorry but the time that you said you were going to start the work has passed. Can you please change it.
    Yes that reset all the approvals. Can you contact them again?
    Yes APAC have to re-approve it. We cannot skip it while they are at lunch.

Now everyone is back from lunch and has signed it off, it has missed its start time. Can you move it back again please.
    Yes the QA will have to sign it off again.
    And all the approvals are needed again

What do you mean the problem has spread to more users?
    Yes the change request is now a higher risk because it's not an isolated incident. You need to fill in this additional form.
    Yes we understand that the sooner it is done the less impact it will cause. Please fill in the form.
    And you need to contact that department to sign it off.
    Yes that is a US phone number. They will be in soon...

The start time has passed again, can you move it back again.
    Yes the QA will have to sign it off again.
    And all the approvals are needed again.

No I'm sorry if your APAC regional signoff is unavailable it will have to wait until tomorrow.

(True story based on last Tuesday!)

Adding my confirmation that since a few months ago a huge number of historical posts seem to have gone missing. Can't find them when searching any more.

It seemed to happen around the time we had that overly long forum downtime maintenance about 2 or 3 months ago(?), where the downtime kept getting extended.

For the record, a search of the Design Discussion Archive doesn't find Jack Schitt. Or any other specific poster.

It looks as though the DDA has not been indexed for searching; even if I cast the widest net with no specific username and a common search word I get nothing returned. Is this deliberate, and is it likely to remain this way? It makes it quite frustrating when someone posts a "radical, new" design idea for the game and you're trying to point out that it was first suggested in 2013. Fortunately the DDA subject lines are often enough to find a general topic, but it would be nice to be able to search for specific posts again.

12. This is the last staff post in this thread. #27
    Originally Posted by Jack Schitt View Post (Source)
    For the record, a search of the Design Discussion Archive doesn't find Jack Schitt. Or any other specific poster.

It looks as though the DDA has not been indexed for searching; even if I cast the widest net with no specific username and a common search word I get nothing returned. Is this deliberate, and is it likely to remain this way? It makes it quite frustrating when someone posts a "radical, new" design idea for the game and you're trying to point out that it was first suggested in 2013. Fortunately the DDA subject lines are often enough to find a general topic, but it would be nice to be able to search for specific posts again.
    All forums should be getting indexed (except some staff-only based forums).

Just wanted to add I have the same problem. Going on my search history, I have been much more productive at work than I really have been.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12