Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Good news!

Yep', you're right. Helmet first. I'll keep up the walks for now until I have a little bit of cash to get a helmet and better saddle.

Keep your eyes on the Aldi and Lidl websites. Quite often they have cycling equipment on the Special Buys, and it is of a decent quality (and price). As I check them regularly (for car related stuff) I will, should I remember, PM you when I see they have cycling equipment (although, if you already shop at Aldi, you will be aware of their offers).

I got wifey a bike (used Argos card as money is a bit tight) so she's now cycling to work - she'll be fitter in no time.

I'm picking up a good second hand one this weekend from a local community enterprise who have a good rep. I used to do lots of cycling, now I'm looking forward to getting back into it.

Originally Posted by Hell Razor5543 View Post (Source)
    Keep your eyes on the Aldi and Lidl websites. Quite often they have cycling equipment on the Special Buys, and it is of a decent quality (and price). As I check them regularly (for car related stuff) I will, should I remember, PM you when I see they have cycling equipment (although, if you already shop at Aldi, you will be aware of their offers).
    That's a good point! And yeah I agree, stock is decent there. Thanks dude. If it comes up within the month I'll certainly go. In any case, I'm only looking at less than a month until I can afford a helmet from anywhere. I'll just keep up the walks until then. I mean the walks are obviously working considering I've dropped two stone.

Originally Posted by Un1k0rn View Post (Source)
    That's a good point! And yeah I agree, stock is decent there. Thanks dude. If it comes up within the month I'll certainly go. In any case, I'm only looking at less than a month until I can afford a helmet from anywhere. I'll just keep up the walks until then. I mean the walks are obviously working considering I've dropped two stone.
    In the meantime maybe get an old toothbrush and give that chain and your gears a little TLC. A well maintained bike will give you a much better ride!

Originally Posted by vindelanos View Post (Source)
    In the meantime maybe get an old toothbrush and give that chain and your gears a little TLC. A well maintained bike will give you a much better ride!
    Will do, thanks.

Thanks. I'm going to keep this frame going as long as possible. It's cheap but it's also a tank.

Let me say this. Despite having my legs nearly give up on me when I reached home, I enjoyed the act of cycling. I've got some work to do to get myself to a healthier status, obviously. I weigh more than twice what my mate does right now. But, as said, my weight has gone down, and by quite some margin. I know that my dreams are attainable, if only for some serious work. But it is possible.

I'm confident I can save myself. Just gonna' take a lot of work.

Great thing is I've now got an activity that I can do with my mate, and he's understanding when I do hit that wall, and will walk with me until my legs recharge. Note, "that wall" refers to the point when continuing would be a health risk. I know I'm in bad shape, never said I wasn't. For now the aim is to just add a minute or two before hitting the wall. Baby steps like.
    Seen some of your threads before Un1korn and meant to reply, really impressed and inspired by what you're doing

Well I've my bike, it's a good one, and I'm getting used to cycling on it. It shows me how much I've fallen from years ago, when I would literally cycle all day without any issue, but hey, little by little, bit by bit.

Key is to keep going, as there's so many excuses not to.

Got a new saddle on the way. Friend gave it to me. Going to save a few pennies that will.

Originally Posted by Demascus View Post (Source)
    Just don't become one of "those" cyclists. The ones that ride down the middle of the road tying up traffic, obeying zero traffic laws while screaming at cars "share the road!" and giving the finger.
    Ironic given 95% of road space is taken up by large hunks of metal with one person sat in them burning dead dinosaurs whilst complaining about 'the traffic'. Hint: you are the traffic.

Got a new saddle on the way. Friend gave it to me. Going to save a few pennies that will.
    Tip: make sure your seat is the right height. When either pedal is at its lowest point and you're sat on the seat with your foot on the pedal, your leg should be slightly bent. To many people drive with very bent legs due to a low seat. It's very inefficient and doesn't exercise all of your muscles. Also bad for your knees.

If you can, PLEASE get on a Bikeability course. They should teach you road sense (as well as traffic awareness). Around 40 years ago I took the Cycling Proficiency Test (and passed it), so when I did get a cycle I knew how to (for example) indicate which way I was turning (HINT: Pointing at the ground just to your right is NOT an indication you intend to turn right, and you are meant to look around first!!!).

https://bikeability.org.uk/

Originally Posted by Hell Razor5543 View Post (Source)
    If you can, PLEASE get on a Bikeability course. They should teach you road sense (as well as traffic awareness). Around 40 years ago I took the Cycling Proficiency Test (and passed it), so when I did get a cycle I knew how to (for example) indicate which way I was turning (HINT: Pointing at the ground just to your right is NOT an indication you intend to turn right, and you are meant to look around first!!!).

https://bikeability.org.uk/
    Sure. Still got a helmet first. Until then no bike at all.

Originally Posted by Barking_Mad View Post (Source)
    Tip: make sure your seat is the right height. When either pedal is at its lowest point and you're sat on the seat with your foot on the pedal, your leg should be slightly bent. To many people drive with very bent legs due to a low seat. It's very inefficient and doesn't exercise all of your muscles. Also bad for your knees.

This is less of a hard rule than it's made out to be, and I do professional bike fittings.

@ Un1k0rn, if you're more comfortable with your saddle on the low side that's fine for now, and may indeed be limited by your current bike.
    Just use a high enough "cadence" to take strain off of your knees.
    You'll want to learn how to do that anyhow.
    Shoot for > 60rpm at all times.

That might feel odd at first.

Originally Posted by Barking_Mad View Post (Source)
    Ironic given 95% of road space is taken up by large hunks of metal with one person sat in them burning dead dinosaurs whilst complaining about 'the traffic'. Hint: you are the traffic.
    Just don't expect me to stop and help after a cyclist ignores all rules of the road and goes flying through a red light at a busy intersection and becomes a human hood ornament. I will be the one with the window rolled down pointing and laughing. You adapt to the world and your environment, its doesn't adapt to you and special snowflake syndrome.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast