Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Good news!

Originally Posted by Un1k0rn View Post (Source)
    21 stone bracket.

When I collect the bike though, I'll be ramping up the exercise regime, and intend on cycling most days, excluding torrential rain which frankly isn't safe, as I'm sure you know.

It's going good. I feel full after eating a lot less now.
    I actually enjoyed a lot to ride my bike when tropical storms came in, it felt like I was reporting extreme weather or something.

Originally Posted by Flowey View Post (Source)
    I actually enjoyed a lot to ride my bike when tropical storms came in, it felt like I was reporting extreme weather or something.
    Did you... Did you post the weather findings online?

Yes?

YOU MONSTER!

Originally Posted by Flowey View Post (Source)

Yes?

YOU MONSTER!

Originally Posted by Hell Razor5543 View Post (Source)
    I do not believe that I was either in the wrong, or unsafe in my driving. If there had been oncoming traffic from my right I could easily have stopped at the double broken lines (which clearly showed where vehicles should stop if required). What the cyclist did was to attempt to cross a road from a pavement assuming that the oncoming driver had noticed him and would stop. My attention at that time was focused to my right (where the oncoming traffic could be) and not to my left where there should not be anything to cause concern. The road from the car park approached the dual carriageway at an angle close to 90 degrees. The pavement was not (and still is not) designated for dual usage (there are wide pavements in Reading which are clearly marked for pedestrians and cyclists to use and share), so the cyclist should not have been cycling there. He assumed (as he told me) that I would stop at the point where he was crossing the road. The dropped kerbstones are around ten feet from the double broken lines, so THAT was the place I would stop should the need arise.

Logic told me that it should be safe to focus on the dual carriageway to my right. As I came out of the carpark I could see, at that time, my way ahead was clear to join the dual carriageway. I am then looking to my right (my head is turned to look at the previously mentioned traffic lights) to see if there is oncoming traffic. There should not be any vehicles coming from my left (the only place for things to be is that pavement), I have seen that the signs say "Give Way" which means that I only need to stop if the circumstances require it (as opposed to a "Stop" sign, which means that you HAVE to stop at the indicated junction), and that there is no traffic coming from the right requiring me to stop. Said cyclist does not stop, but leaves the pavement from the dropped kerbstones onto the roadway. I only see him (obviously way too late) as I am changing my focus from the potential traffic to my right to my intended path. It is at that point we are in collision.

If I had known there was a cyclist approaching from my left as I approached the junction it is likely (not certain, but likely) I would have given them more of my attention. However, when I first saw the junction upon exiting the car park there was nothing in view to my left. Having used this car park on numerous occasions I knew it was likely there would be traffic to my right, so I understandably moved my focus of attention to my right. If I had seen that the traffic was moving my way I could easily stop safely at the junction. Because my way was clear I did not come to a stop (as the "Give Way" sign did not require me to do so), but continued to head towards the carriageway (as I should have been able to join it safely). Because the distance from the car park to the junction was not great (50 - 100 yards) I was not travelling at a high speed, and I knew that (if I were able to continue without stopping) there was a tight 90 degree left turn coming up for me to negotiate. I do not know how fast I was moving, but it would have been less that 20MPH, and possibly as low as 10MPH.

In Great Britain cyclists are NOT kings of the roads, and they should behave safely according to the conditions of the road. In the incident where there was a collision I did not have a dash cam, but If I did it is likely that it would show I was not to blame. This morning, when that cyclist went through what was (from their point of the junction) lights at red (and that had not just changed to red, but would have been in that state for 30 seconds or more), that cyclist clearly was showing a disregard for any other road user (although he was wearing a crash helmet). I do recall hearing (although I do not know if it was just another tabloid scare story about what Brussels was trying to impose upon the UK) possible changes to road law in that, should there be an accident between a cyclist and a car, the car driver would automatically be in the wrong. If that was correct, and I had hit that cyclist this morning, the law would have 'known' that I had caused the accident. If the law were to accept the footage from my dash cam was valid evidence then the law could clearly see that I was not at fault, as there should not have been any traffic crossing the junction other than that from the road I was on.

I do try, when I am using the road, either as a driver or a pedestrian, to be safe and considerate (I am not always so, but I do try to be). If, for example, I am walking along the pavement and I see a vehicle wanting to pull into a driveway in front of me, I will stop and let them in (even though, technically, it is my right of way), especially if there is traffic behind them. That is just good manners. If road users were always safe and considerate there would be a lot less in the way of road incidents. Unfortunately this is not so.

I do NOT intend to discuss this incident further. My reasons for the post that started this was to explain my reasoning for why I believe all persons wishing to become road users should undertake training and tests to ensure they are safe to be out on the road. If the cyclist had completed such training he should have known that he should not have been cycling on that pavement, and (because of the layout of the junction) it would be likely my attention was focused not on him, but to my right. Competent road users who have undergone proper road training are not only aware of how THEY should behave on the road, they are aware of how other road users should behave and react.

I think we need a diagram!

Yes?

YOU MONSTER!

Yes?

YOU MONSTER!
    I didn't use very much the internet at that time

PM sent about Lidl cycling equipment.

https://www.lidl.co.uk/en/Non-Food-O...9&week=2&ar=13
    Thanks dude, appreciate it. Didn't realise Lidl read the forums!

Thanks. Still, I want to work on shedding the pounds so I can actually do Stuff™ in the future.

Losing weight, once begun, is surprisingly easy, I must admit. Slow, but easy.

The more difficult task I have ahead of me is battling my emotional demons. I'm hoping the bike might be a useful tool in that endeavour.

Got my new saddle in the post today, from a friend. Going to install it this evening when it's cooler outside.
    Yeah. It is great to hear you get your ball rolling on weight loss. It will reap benefits, trust me.

As for emotions - do not expect to be victorious out of the gate. It takes longer time to get your internal life in order. But that road is definitely worth taking as well. Results will be something of new life and renewed yourself.

Keep it going. Good luck!

Originally Posted by Bob Lighthouse View Post (Source)
    I think we need a diagram!

You did read the last paragraph, didn't you?

Originally Posted by Cmdr Eagleboy View Post (Source)
    Yeah. It is great to hear you get your ball rolling on weight loss. It will reap benefits, trust me.

As for emotions - do not expect to be victorious out of the gate. It takes longer time to get your internal life in order. But that road is definitely worth taking as well. Results will be something of new life and renewed yourself.

Keep it going. Good luck!
    Aye, cheers dude. Yeah, make no mistake. Seeing that number on the scales drop every few days is really helping my morale.

As Mr Razor has posted, Lidl has a deal coming up for a helmet that's much better value than Halfords. Will be buying on the day.

There are also various styles and sizes. I would (if you have the chance) see if you can find out what your head size is, so that you can get the one best suited for your needs (and, at those prices, it could be worth buying more than one). I would also (if you don't already have some) get a set of lights.

Please can ALL road users be careful out there;

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/royal...cid=spartanntp

There are also various styles and sizes. I would (if you have the chance) see if you can find out what your head size is, so that you can get the one best suited for your needs (and, at those prices, it could be worth buying more than one). I would also (if you don't already have some) get a set of lights.

Please can ALL road users be careful out there;

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/royal...cid=spartanntp
    Absolutely. Lights go without saying, I would have thought.

You did read the last paragraph, didn't you?
    Yes, and it's all pretty funny.
    And yet, here you are...

It's just very, very funny that you are admonishing cyclists to ride safe, and your first example is you hitting one at a give way intersection.

That's all.

Hmmm... In the Army, I figured out a great secret in life - If you have to ask if it's OK, it's probably not OK.

So I lock my bike(s) to the stairwell railing (not in the stairwell) of a parking garage where I work. I am a contract parker there. The garage people never complain, even when I ride through the garage at the end of my day (it's fun to go downhill).

Lately I've grown tired of hauling my heavy- 10 lbs lock in my backpack with me, and mounting it to my frame isn't an option. I've been thinking of leaving it inconspicuously locked to the railing during the week.

What do you guys think? Yea, or nay?

Now, I will say this - One bit of counterpoint is I feel my 15 lbs bag actually helps me from a fitness perspective. Albeit it's a bit uncomfortable. Do you agree or disagree? Does adding weight to your ride give you the opportunity of spinning against more resistance?

P.S. I finally broke 190 and am finally weighing in at 188. I'm jazzed, man.

Originally Posted by vindelanos View Post (Source)
    Hmmm... In the Army, I figured out a great secret in life - If you have to ask if it's OK, it's probably not OK.

So I lock my bike(s) to the stairwell railing (not in the stairwell) of a parking garage where I work. I am a contract parker there. The garage people never complain, even when I ride through the garage at the end of my day (it's fun to go downhill).

Lately I've grown tired of hauling my heavy- 10 lbs lock in my backpack with me, and mounting it to my frame isn't an option. I've been thinking of leaving it inconspicuously locked to the railing during the week.

What do you guys think? Yea, or nay?

Now, I will say this - One bit of counterpoint is I feel my 15 lbs bag actually helps me from a fitness perspective. Albeit it's a bit uncomfortable. Do you agree or disagree? Does adding weight to your ride give you the opportunity of spinning against more resistance?

P.S. I finally broke 190 and am finally weighing in at 188. I'm jazzed, man.

The lock I'd say it depends on how much traffic there is there and if you have recourse should you show up and it's missing one day.

Extra mass is more work for sure, but it's more comfortable suspended on the bike.
    I suppose there would be a small added fitness benefit of carrying it on your body from the upper body engagement.
    Heavy wheels/tires really slow you down so for fitness minded commuters I always recommend sturdy wheels and thick tire casings.
    Specialized Armadillos and some of the Schwalbes are very good that way but sacrifice a little ride quality.

Originally Posted by Bob Lighthouse View Post (Source)
    The lock I'd say it depends on how much traffic there is there and if you have recourse should you show up and it's missing one day.

Extra mass is more work for sure, but it's more comfortable suspended on the bike.
    I suppose there would be a small added fitness benefit of carrying it on your body from the upper body engagement.
    Heavy wheels/tires really slow you down so for fitness minded commuters I always recommend sturdy wheels and thick tire casings.
    Specialized Armadillos and some of the Schwalbes are very good that way but sacrifice a little ride quality.
    Thanks, Bob. I honestly think the lock will be OK provided I take it home on the weekends. My bike is in the same place every day, so all of the garage staff who roam the floors see it on a regular basis. I think I'll start leaving it during the work week.

Hey, Un1, check it out...

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456