Thread: A worm frozen during 42.000 years in the permafrost returned to the life

A worm frozen during 42.000 years in the permafrost returned to the life

Two worms of 42 000 and 30 000 year old were found alive in the frozen Siberian soils.

They have become, in fact, the two oldest living creatures on our planet.

https://link.springer.com/article/10...12496618030079

Originally Posted by Patrick_68000 View Post (Source)
    Two worms of 42 000 and 30 000 year old were found alive in the frozen Siberian soils.

There was an xfiles about this.

Originally Posted by vindelanos View Post (Source)
    There was an xfiles about this.
    I want to believe you

Wow, so even older than these two ?

Flimley

A fellow student on my MBA course was a Nematodes expert with MAFF (what is now DEFRA), she would have been over the moon with this.

Haven't these people ever seen Prometheus??

<shivers>

Pretty amazing, that's a lot of candles on your birthday cake!

Originally Posted by Patrick_68000 View Post (Source)

I'm sure they are Thargoid larvae.

Originally Posted by Winterwalker View Post (Source)
    Haven't these people ever seen Prometheus??

<shivers>

Pretty amazing, that's a lot of candles on your birthday cake!
    Imagine the size of that cake.

Its the guardian worm drive..!!

It certainly reinforces the possibility that life can travel between the stars within comets/asteroids! Maybe we evolved from space worms!
    Amazing! Thanks for sharing Patrick (+virt rep)

One can only imagine what kind of bacteria or viruses they could've woken up. Something our immune system is totally unfamiliar with

Originally Posted by Caramel Clown View Post (Source)
    One can only imagine what kind of bacteria or viruses they could've woken up. Something our immune system is totally unfamiliar with
    It is indeed a worry of scientists to find this kind of creatures

As I understand it the worms are parasitic/carrion eating flatworms from inside dead roundworms. The roundworms were dated as being thousands of years old, but can we be sure the flatworms didn't enter later if the dating relies on how old the surrounding soil is.

Frozen mammoth in similar regions used to be fed routinely to sled dogs until recently, when people realized they could sell them to scientists. The age of the food doesn't necessarily indicate the age of whatever's eating it.

A heartless slimy invertebrate that everybody thought was dead for sure, turns out to be actually alive, after being warmed up by the Russians, and is now being celebrated in the media!

It sounds like fake news to me.

Originally Posted by Robin of Spiritwood View Post (Source)
    A heartless slimy invertebrate that everybody thought was dead for sure, turns out to be actually alive, after being warmed up by the Russians, and is now being celebrated in the media!

It sounds like fake news to me.
    Oh snap, you beat me. I was going to say this explains how some people recently got their political support bases. Worms crawling outta cold storage. Explains why he's so against the idea of fixing certain ecological challenges.