Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Virpil WarBRD, T-50 Throttle and Constellation grip video review

Originally Posted by TorTorden View Post (Source)
    Monstertechs are just way overpriced.

I would much rather spend $40 on the virpil mount rather than $130 for a monstertech.

You could buy three of them for the price of one.
    No, they really aren't. They're over-specified, but the price is actually reasonable. I build basically copies of their design. Adding up the price of the parts alone, that is, the extrusions, clamps, screws and aluminium parts easily adds up to 40€-50€. One of these clamps costs ~20€. And I doubt they'll drive the price down significantly due to bulk orders. While most of that are standard parts just cut to length, their plates are custom made, which adds work hours.

You're right though. If one can live with a less fancy and over-speced solution, the Virpil mounts are far more reasonable investments. The key advantage of the Monstertech mounts are the clamps they use. I've yet to see a better, more stable and quick solution for attaching a HOTAS mount to a table and detaching it again. But that advantage is most notable if you often have to stow the mounts away.

I'l concede that point, but as history shows.

No matter how lauded a company is for over engineering a product is, someone will come by, do it to a tighter spec for half the price and suddenly the first company doesn't have any customers what so ever.

For the longest time now Monstertech's has been the only HOTAS mount product around outside of DIY.

Personally I just banged together some pieces of wood in an afternoon and spent less than $30 for both.
    I'm setup in a dedicated corner anyways.

Originally Posted by sovapid View Post (Source)
    Got my WarBRD with the Constellation grip over the weekend. It is pretty big for desktop use, height wise.

Not sure this is gonna work. Will try it for a bit, might go for some monstertech mounts.... Down the rabbit hole...
    Why not get the Virpil ones? Way cheaper, and extremely well made. Not taking away from Monster Tech - they look to be an epic product,, but damn, the pricing difference...

Originally Posted by BurnyBurns View Post (Source)
    No, they really aren't. They're over-specified, but the price is actually reasonable. I build basically copies of their design. Adding up the price of the parts alone, that is, the extrusions, clamps, screws and aluminium parts easily adds up to 40€-50€. One of these clamps costs ~20€. And I doubt they'll drive the price down significantly due to bulk orders. While most of that are standard parts just cut to length, their plates are custom made, which adds work hours.
    I agree with you there. the killer, for me, and the thing that stopped my order dead in it's tracks was shipping. Shipping to Aus was very close to the price of the mounts themselves. Nothing Monster Tech can do about that, as someone that is part of a business where shipping is an important part of the business, I can testify as to how hard it can be to get a good deal on shipping, unless you have huge volume to begin with. Of course, you don't get huge volumes without first being competetive on shipping... And the vicious circle goes as such.

We got lucky, happened to sit down at a table at a bar whilst watching a World Cup game, and a courier company rep (as in one that manages Asia/Pacific, so fairly high up) was sat across from us. A few beers later... Deal struck.

Moral of the story? Drink beer, improve your business!

Z...
    Z...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123