Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 16 to 22 of 22

Thread: So, what exactly are the rules of combat AI? Having severe problems

  1. #16
    If you're carrying a fuel scoop, srv or some other non combat internals, get rid of them.

    Lasers have absolutely terrible damage falloff, use long range or focused, esp on a Krait.
    It has that great c7 PD.
    Even the G1 LR mod is a huge improvement.

    Lasers and MC require a fair amount of time on target.
    But high DPS weapons like rails, PAs and frags can allow you to be more evasive.
    Learn to use them.
    Take some tips from people who play PVP.
    They build better combat ships by far.
    Don't believe the PVEers who try to tell you otherwise; after all PVP requires a lot of PVE as well.

    Post your build and we can help in that respect.

  2. #17
    It seems like NPCs have infinite SCBs and chaff, but they're not. Count them, then you will see that they have 3 SCBs, after which no more recharges. They always run to less than one ring before recharging, so, when you see that they're using SCBs, shoot until they get to that point, then put 4 pips to shields and ram them. The only thing I think is a bit poor is the way they always hit you with rail guns, even when you're in a Sidewinder at 3km, they never miss.

  3. #18
    Originally Posted by d8veh View Post (Source)
    The only thing I think is a bit poor is the way they always hit you with rail guns, even when you're in a Sidewinder at 3km, they never miss.
    As long as they never get long range mods I don't mind.

  4. #19
    Originally Posted by Bob Lighthouse View Post (Source)
    If you're carrying a fuel scoop, srv or some other non combat internals, get rid of them.

    Lasers have absolutely terrible damage falloff, use long range or focused, esp on a Krait.
    It has that great c7 PD.
    Even the G1 LR mod is a huge improvement.

    Lasers and MC require a fair amount of time on target.
    But high DPS weapons like rails, PAs and frags can allow you to be more evasive.
    Learn to use them.
    Take some tips from people who play PVP.
    They build better combat ships by far.
    Don't believe the PVEers who try to tell you otherwise; after all PVP requires a lot of PVE as well.

    Post your build and we can help in that respect.
    No doubt PvP combat pilots will be better but it does take time and commitment to learn good use of the high impact weapons. I have played with them myself but not yet spent enough time with them to be good enough to match the effectiveness of the lasers. They are somewhat all or nothing, if you miss then nothing. TBH I got bored as I'm not a specialise combat pilot and not looking to get the best of the best, just good enough to win, which is why PvP pilots are better as the "good enough" bar is higher.

    For what it is worth I'm currently using twin medium efficient beams and 3 large overcharged MCs. It is an effective set-up on what is a mission running ship, not a combat specialist build.

  5. #20
    I have to agree. especially on a HOTAS, reliably ladnign rail guns/PAs is immensely difficult.

    Since starting this post though my results in the krait have improved significantly.

    I have engineered her some more, so while she still isn't modded to the extend that I aim for, performance is a lot better. I have also learned to utilize the SLF better, and it really boosts combat effectiveness by a ton.

    In fact, currently most of the time I let my NPC fly my krait and hop into the fighter myself, they are just very fun to fly.

  6. #21
    Originally Posted by Rob_the_Sparky View Post (Source)
    No doubt PvP combat pilots will be better but it does take time and commitment to learn good use of the high impact weapons. I have played with them myself but not yet spent enough time with them to be good enough to match the effectiveness of the lasers. They are somewhat all or nothing, if you miss then nothing. TBH I got bored as I'm not a specialise combat pilot and not looking to get the best of the best, just good enough to win, which is why PvP pilots are better as the "good enough" bar is higher.

    For what it is worth I'm currently using twin medium efficient beams and 3 large overcharged MCs. It is an effective set-up on what is a mission running ship, not a combat specialist build.
    Don't give up.
    You'll have a much easier time once you finish engineering.

    That's a good mix, but consider long range(+thermal vent) on the lasers since it'll hit much harder at a distance.

    Do you have the corrosive special on one of the MCs?
    That makes a big difference, esp on tough hulled ships like FGS etc.
    I'd go 2 med thermal vent beams, 2 OC autoloader and 1 hi cap corrosive MCs

  7. #22
    Originally Posted by fedairkid View Post (Source)
    I have to agree. especially on a HOTAS, reliably ladnign rail guns/PAs is immensely difficult.

    Since starting this post though my results in the krait have improved significantly.

    I have engineered her some more, so while she still isn't modded to the extend that I aim for, performance is a lot better. I have also learned to utilize the SLF better, and it really boosts combat effectiveness by a ton.

    In fact, currently most of the time I let my NPC fly my krait and hop into the fighter myself, they are just very fun to fly.


    I'm on hotas too, just have patience.
    It's totally worth it.

    NPCs are pretty predictable.
    Hit them with the PAs as you pass by and the rails at a distance.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12