Thread: Mission refresh

Mission refresh

Morning Commanders,

I can see from this thread thar, apparently, missions queue and one gets replaced with a refresh time of about 10 minutes. It may just be me, but I thought it was much longer, perbaps a day or two. Egads, is my perception that far out?

Also, I'm sure that, when I swap ship, the missions change. Again, is this just me or am I just hitting the refresh timing?

What seems odd is that, at one point, there'll be a trillion boom data deliveries and when a changeover occurs, there's a stack of source and returns instead. Is that the RNG doing its thing?

Originally Posted by Tyres O'Flaherty View Post (Source)
    Morning Commanders,

I can see from this thread thar, apparently, missions queue and one gets replaced with a refresh time of about 10 minutes. It may just be me, but I thought it was much longer, perbaps a day or two. Egads, is my perception that far out?

Also, I'm sure that, when I swap ship, the missions change. Again, is this just me or am I just hitting the refresh timing?

What seems odd is that, at one point, there'll be a trillion boom data deliveries and when a changeover occurs, there's a stack of source and returns instead. Is that the RNG doing its thing?
    The number I work with is 20 mins, but rarely bother. You can get 2 or 3 different mission boards by "mode hopping", which is exiting to the menu and trying Open, Solo and Group. Then back to your mode of choice to execute all the missions.

Any station will normally give a similar spread of missions depending on the system, station and current faction states, with the odd outlier, but occasionally you can get a Golden Board which gives a pile of a-typical missions. RNG - Which is a good thing, or at least better than NO RNG.

I listened to one of the devs explaining the mission system. It was quite complex.

What I think I understood was that missions are set up as templates that each server picks from and fills in every 10 minutes or so. When a CMDR requests missions, the available ones are then customized somewhat for the ship in use, ranks, etc.

When you mode swap there is a chance you’ll connect to a different server, and so get different missions.

It seems to explain the behavior of the mission board, so I think it’s close enough.

Originally Posted by Codger View Post (Source)
    I........
    When you mode swap there is a chance you’ll connect to a different server, and so get different missions.

I have not checked since the "no need for a different mode" change came in but you see the server ID number at the bottom-left after you quit to menu. You knew when the same missions were displayed that it would be the same server ID.

I'm guessing naval rank-up missions are handled differently?

Because they notoriously change when you switch ships to one more suited to that mission, leading to an "entertaining" game of rock-paper-scissors until you eventually get a mission suitable for the ship you're in.

So... I should know this but haven't tried: if I accept a mission in say, my T6, it will still be applied to me if I swap to my Cobra. Is that correct?

So... I should know this but haven't tried: if I accept a mission in say, my T6, it will still be applied to me if I swap to my Cobra. Is that correct?
    Yes.

You won't be able to take some missions (delivery ones for example, except wing ones) if you don't have a ship that can carry the cargo or if your ship is too large for the available landing pad at the destination, but otherwise you can accept any mission and do it in any ship. So, if you're in your T6 and see a couple of nice data delivery missions, but would prefer your Cobra's jump range to do them, then accept the missions, swap ship and the missions will still be there in your transactions tab.

Try accepting assassination missions in your Sidey or whatever, and then change to your mega-death combat ship.
    Dunno if it still works.

Originally Posted by Faded Glory View Post (Source)
    Yes.

You won't be able to take some missions (delivery ones for example, except wing ones) if you don't have a ship that can carry the cargo or if your ship is too large for the available landing pad at the destination, but otherwise you can accept any mission and do it in any ship. So, if you're in your T6 and see a couple of nice data delivery missions, but would prefer your Cobra's jump range to do them, then accept the missions, swap ship and the missions will still be there in your transactions tab.
    I am only about a week into this game and had something similar happen. I managed to get a cobra and there was a nice payout (for noob I guess) delivery mission, but I didn't have the cargo bays. Went over to outfitting screen to change and when I went back, it was gone. So knowing this info is helpful, thanks.