Thread: Just a thought...

Just a thought...

I wonder if the tag of Anarchy is correct for most star systems. In most there are no stations or governments, so shouldn't they be Lawless?

Anarchy is fine for systems with a population, it just seems slightly wrong for all the others.

Well anarchy is the lack of control or recognition of control...

But, well, what comes to mind is that I don't know what I want but know how to get it - I wanna destroy, passersby...

I was thinking make them a whole other category, and call them uninhabited.

Personally I would agree that unpopulated systems should be different from populated anarchy systems. Don't care too much for the name but I'd certainly prefer it if they were different.
    While we are at it, there should be a difference between stolen and illegal goods as well. As it is smuggling is dead as the whole point of smuggling is that you get an high price for smuggled goods but if trying to fence stolen goods you get a lower price. Currently stolen and illegal are both sold on the black market for the same price making smuggling not worth the effort in most cases.

Originally Posted by tclancey View Post (Source)
    I wonder if the tag of Anarchy is correct for most star systems. In most there are no stations or governments, so shouldn't they be Lawless?

Anarchy is fine for systems with a population, it just seems slightly wrong for all the others.
    Yes, that is a correct thought. Anarchy is a type of government and Lawless is the lack of government.
    I'm not sure the game can differentiate those two all that well.

I don't think the unpopulated places should be categorised as "Anarchy" either. More like "Very Quiet", or " Silent" systems

When entering an Anarchy system, I use the NME.

Originally Posted by Spaceman Si View Post (Source)
    I don't think the unpopulated places should be categorised as "Anarchy" either. More like "Very Quiet", or " Silent" systems

When entering an Anarchy system, I use the NME.
    They could have many tags that would make sense. "Uninhabited" Would be one of the first that come in mind.

Then when the population would raise above 0, they could be called "ungoverned" or "Lawless". When a first faction builds a space station, they would be called whatever the government type of that factions is.

Originally Posted by Chris Simon View Post (Source)
    Yes, that is a correct thought. Anarchy is a type of government and Lawless is the lack of government.
    I'm not sure the game can differentiate those two all that well.
    Uhh...

Anarchy
    noun
    1.a state of society without government or law.
    2.political and social disorder due to the absence of governmental control

Complete absence of government (uninhabited) is anarchy, so is a system full of people that aren't running the place. It's exactly correct.

If memory serves, and I am getting old so it might not, the game used to differentiate between uninhabited systems (lawless?) and occupied system where the state of government was anarchy (pirate controlled systems etc.?). Quite when the change to the current system occurred I couldn't say but I suspect it was in 2016. Why it changed from a system that was easily understandable if a big mystery.

Originally Posted by metatheurgist View Post (Source)
    Uhh...

Anarchy
    noun

Complete absence of government (uninhabited) is anarchy, so is a system full of people that aren't running the place. It's exactly correct.
    Both those points assume the presence of people, in order to provide the "state of society" or the "political and social disorder". If there are no people, then not even anarchy can exist, so the state would be best described as being in a null condition.

The political defintion of anarchy is that of a stateless society based on voluntary organisations that operate within mutually accepted rules (laws). Kant defined anarchy as being "Law and freedom without force", which also assumes that there are people / beings there to promote and maintain that state.

Originally Posted by metatheurgist View Post (Source)
    Uhh...

Anarchy
    noun

That is true in real life. But in Elite, Anarchy is one of the government types.

The game did show differences between empty systems and populated anarchy-control systems at one point. I can't remember what way round it was nor when it was reverted but I can confirm that the inestimable llama remembers correctly.

It was definitely better out exploring without that annoying red "press J or Joy_ to abort" message every jump.

Originally Posted by Para Handy View Post (Source)
    The game did show differences between empty systems and populated anarchy-control systems at one point. I can't remember what way round it was nor when it was reverted but I can confirm that the inestimable llama remembers correctly.

It was definitely better out exploring without that annoying red "press J or Joy_ to abort" message every jump.

Yeah. The "Press J to abort" and "Press R to lauch" messages are something that makes me want to throw something at Sandro, every time I see them.