Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Interview with David Braben (The Cambridge Independent)

Originally Posted by bitstorm View Post (Source)
    These interviews aren't saying much really.

But David does seem to be putting himself out there right now which makes me think that there's a build up to something (though I'm not sure what). Yeah I know Gamescom is coming up but I'm expecting that to be a bit of a damp squib as far as news about ED is concerned.

The recent interviews seem to be about Frontier generally, it's like they're trying to sell themselves as a company right now rather than any specific product.
    I think these interviews are less for us, the gamers who play the games, and more for the investors and shareholders. Itís all rainbow and unicorn vague speak with little actual detail with regards to the actual game content. Itís for people who donít really know much about the actual games but are more interested in Frontier as a company and business.

Reading it in that light makes it much more fathomable.

Originally Posted by Un1k0rn View Post (Source)
    g43mz d34d
    Just imagine - The model Cobra standing in the middle of a room, around it, a 100 people making a huge pentagram and chanting necromantic stuff.

Meanwhile, DB in the office to the reporter: "Yeah, we're working on it, it looks great"

I'm happy that Elite is doing well by FD's own metrics, and that they continue to not only support it but actively develop and improve it.

That said, I'm still waiting for the next 'big' announcement of legs and/or atmo planets, and the already discussed major gameplay improvements. I don't question FD's support or love for their game but I do want to see actual large improvements and additions sooner rather than later.

Originally Posted by Mengy View Post (Source)
    I think these interviews are less for us, the gamers who play the games, and more for the investors and shareholders. Itís all rainbow and unicorn vague speak with little actual detail with regards to the actual game content. Itís for people who donít really know much about the actual games but are more interested in Frontier as a company and business.

Aye that.

I wonder why no one has mentioned yet the major relocation Frontier had this year. Is this really such a weak excuse for a somewhat limited productivity? I mean, that's my idea and kudos to Frontier for not using this excuse, but some of us probably should meditate a bit over this...

Originally Posted by Majic-12 View Post (Source)
    They've all been working on Crime & Punishment.
    Hehe...

Maybe most of them aren't Coders or Devs. Maybe they're mostly bureaucrats manning the Offices

(Example footage demonstrating the approval and verification process of minor code changes)

Or what if David hits the Office every few days... and it turns out he's into Vogon Poetry? Maybe reads to the whole team for a few hours? That'd explain the snail-paced development...

Originally Posted by picommander View Post (Source)
    I wonder why no one has mentioned yet the major relocation Frontier had this year. Is this really such a weak excuse for a somewhat limited productivity? I mean, that's my idea and kudos to Frontier for not using this excuse, but some of us probably should meditate a bit over this...
    Afaik moving was planned months prior, with lot of staff taking holidays.

I think these interviews are less for us, the gamers who play the games, and more for the investors and shareholders. It’s all rainbow and unicorn vague speak with little actual detail with regards to the actual game content. It’s for people who don’t really know much about the actual games but are more interested in Frontier as a company and business.

Word.

We can now wait around for the children to stat defaming Mr. Braben again.

I think these interviews are less for us, the gamers who play the games, and more for the investors and shareholders. It’s all rainbow and unicorn vague speak with little actual detail with regards to the actual game content. It’s for people who don’t really know much about the actual games but are more interested in Frontier as a company and business.

Are you... Are you saying that DBOBE is a businessman, not a charity founder?

100 devs working on ED? Right, then they must be working on atmospheric planets and space legs, hence fleshing out ships and stations, otherwise it really doesnít make any sense.

Agreed. Actually not-gaming press but not even a financial rag. This looks a local newspaper, which theme is literally "our people, our neighbourhood, doing good". I believe them actually, Tencent was a massive soft power deal for me, as well a handy financial one.

Originally Posted by lysan View Post (Source)
    100 devs working on ED? Right, then they must be working on atmospheric planets and space legs, hence fleshing out ships and stations, otherwise it really doesnít make any sense.
    The season beyond Beyond .. Q1 2019 right? That would be my guess anyway. I don't think we'll be hearing about it though - at all - until Q4 is just about to drop .. or Christmas.

Originally Posted by Winterwalker View Post (Source)
    Agreed. Actually not-gaming press but not even a financial rag. This looks a local newspaper, which theme is literally "our people, our neighbourhood, doing good". I believe them actually, Tencent was a massive soft power deal for me, as well a handy financial one.

The season beyond Beyond .. Q1 2019 right? That would be my guess anyway. I don't think we'll be hearing about it though - at all - until Q4 is just about to drop .. or Christmas.
    this is how I see it. They want to make ready DLC, not pre-sales like the seasons, they got the money and they know they now need to deliver day one a DLC drops.

2018 was a large lets change something in the engine room to get ready for the race. Sure the work they already did in Beyond required resources, however not 100 devs. What takes time is mainly creating art and to get the code for various parts ready. Atmo-planets need a lot of art, animations and so on, fleshing out outposts and stations likewise. To make a ship like the anaconda fully fleshed out would probably take one dev 3 months to complete, and if you consider how many ships we already got, do the math.

David says "there's been new content every week" for ED.

I don't really consider paint jobs and cosmetics as "content".
    Premium content incoming!

Elite Dangerous: Commander Pack 2

The Elite Dangerous: Commander Pack 2 contains a selection of 19 paint jobs for you to begin customizing the appearance of your ship in Elite Dangerous. Items included in the pack are as follows:

- Viper MkIV Vibrant Paint Pack
    - Asp Scout Impression Paint Pack
    - Diamondback Scout Military Paint Pack
    - Exclusive Gold Krait paint job! <== the premium bit

David says "there's been new content every week" for ED.

I don't really consider paint jobs and cosmetics as "content".
    Yes there is a passage in the interview which is excessive

100 developers on ED ?

It is necessary to pay them every month.

They do not work, all, on "Beyond" in my opinion.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12