Thread: Earth world %

Earth world %

Has anyone been able to work out the percentage of earth like worlds?

Thanks.

I cant remember how many jumps it took to Colonia, then to Sag A, then back to the bubble, but I only found 13 ELW's on my last trip. If it was around 500 Jumps then it would be .026%

That would be really hard. Not saying somebody crazy might have tried.

In my experience, about every tenth G, F or M system has an ELW. Around bigger, brighter stars the percentage is lower, some star types don't have any for obvious reasons and some like L sometimes have one.

Now I don't know the exact percentages of the star types, but let's say that GLFM make up about a third of the 400 billion. That means that if every tenth of them has an ELW, that would be about 10 billion ELWs?

Who knows.

EDIT: It seems that Gun Star has come up with similar numbers, actually. Interesting!

There are threads in the Exploration sub-forum with analyses of earth-like occurrences (along with many other things) - I can't be "bottomed" to search for them right now.

Originally Posted by Para Handy View Post (Source)
    There are threads in the Exploration sub-forum with analyses of earth-like occurrences (along with many other things) - I can't be "bottomed" to search for them right now.
    Let's be honest, if you tried to search in the state the Forum is in, who knows what would you surface. It probably wouldn't be ELW percentages though.

Originally Posted by Chris Simon View Post (Source)
    Let's be honest, if you tried to search in the state the Forum is in, who knows what would you surface. It probably wouldn't be ELW percentages though.
    Yeah that's my excuse for not doing the OP's search for them.

yeah I dont know what is up with the search function lately. I'll be looking at a thread on my phone and when I go to find it on my PC later I put in the the most distinct word in the title and it doesn't even show up or is on page 2 of the results...lol

The probability of finding an ELW around any given star depends largely on the star type. F-class stars are the most probable, with about 1 in 40 F stars containing an ELW. G-class about 1 in 60, K-class about 1 in 100, M-class about 1 in 200. Brown dwarfs are really, really improbable, about 1 in 10,000 for L-class and no-one's ever found one around T or Y class. For hotter stars, A class has a sharp cutoff at around the A7 subclass, anything hotter (A6 to A0) is apparently too young, unstable or whatever for ELWs to be likely to form. ELWs around B and O class stars are virtually unheard of.

For non-main-sequence stars, Black Hole ELWs are really rare, for obvious reasons. Neutron star ELWs are over-represented in the surveys, simply because Neutron Stars are often targetted by explorers. Protostars (T Tauri and Herbigs) are also improbable, mainly because there is an age factor as mentioned above and protostars are, by definition, young. ELWs around dying stars (carbon stars, Wolf-Rayets, giants) are known but there aren't really enough of them to do a proper statistical analysis.

Having multiple stars in a system tends to mess around with the calculations, especially if the two stars are close enough together (less than 10,000 Ls); generally such a multi-star system has a broader Goldilocks zone than a sole star, making ELWs slightly more probable than otherwise.

Originally Posted by Chris Simon View Post (Source)
    In my experience, about every tenth G, F or M system has an ELW. Around bigger, brighter stars the percentage is lower, some star types don't have any for obvious reasons and some like L sometimes have one.
    Without having any numbers to back it up, just based on gut feeling, I would also agree to this.