Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Space ship battles! Without the jargon and engineering. Please.

Originally Posted by Ism View Post (Source)
    "HOLY SMOKES! It's like flying in a rollercoaster!"

I can't see how anybody can say this about an unengineered Krait.

I bought one on the hype and thought it was worse than the Python's maneuverability (coming from the Vulture as a PVE combat ship).
    It wasn't even close with A-rated modules and even some were partially engineered, but the firepower was so amazing I had to give it a chance.

Once I engineered most important modules to grade five, the ship is now near the Vulture in "perceived" maneuverability.
    (with unengineered thrusters I had to adjust my engine pips constantly), now I can leave engines at 1 with acceptable maneuverability while having enough firepower to burn shields and hulls of even the largest ships without any serious damage to shields.

I love the Krait. My Vulture is sitting in mothballs.

Coming from something as twitchy and unstable agile as a Vulture almost anything will feel sluggish, having flown a Python and Krait with the same load out one after the other the Krait feels more nimble to me.

To be fair there are very few ships that as standard you don't have to adjust the pips as you fly.

Originally Posted by Ism View Post (Source)
    Sorry Galaxius, I wasn't dishing on you. Sometimes I post comments that may seem caustic but it's only because I don't word my response adequately.

I will try in VR as soon as I get my contact script. VR is the way to go for combat, the spatial awareness is an amazing asset.
    No need to apologise Ism, printed text as substitute for a real voice is always going to have it's pitfalls, misunderstandings using texting on mobile phones proves the point over and over.

I too have to wear glasses in VR, which can be a pain at times, especially when they cloud up with the heat inside the headset.

It's one of the things to look forward to in combat, having that spacial awareness and be able to react to danger much faster than using a screen. Not to mention the sheer exhilaration of flying around shooting at stuff. Oh I did just mention that.

Originally Posted by galaxias View Post (Source)
    Off topic a bit (a lot actually) Did you see this? https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b06s5n0f
    Yes indeed I did thanks and I have it recorded along with a BBC Alba series about restoration of one plus DVDs of all the available tv progs and then for bedtime the complete collection of Neil Munro's stories. (For shame I also have a DVD of "The Maggie". )

Something like this is probably a good bet for a Krait fitted for combat.
    If this was me outfitting this ship before I spent lots of time unlocking more engineers I would slap on a grade 5 extended FSD mod.
    https://s.orbis.zone/Tzdm-Q95

Elvira Martuuk, one of the initial engineers offers grade 5 (the highest possible) Frame Shift Drive upgrades and grade 3 shield generator upgrades. Both of these are useful to a combat built ship as your jump range is bogged down with those heavy A rated modules and a boosted sheild is very useful for a sheild tanking fighter like the Krait.

Engineering all of your modules can and does take forever, but makes a significant difference to your ship's performance.
    With the build I used you need to fiddle with your power priorities a bit, but with a modified power plant you won't have to worry about that for example.

Felicity also does the g5 FSD. I often wonder why both 'neers go this. Sure there's a logical explanation...

OK OK... I'll TRY to drum up a bit of inner enthusiasm to engineer something... Just thinking of the grind involved on top of the other grinds.
    Hi galaxias, as usual everyone has provided some excellent advice based on hard won experience plus blood, sweat and tears.

Don't worry about how much grinding Engineers involves, because even at the first Grade 1 you can generally get a decent upgrade for literally just a few minutes work . For example, Felicity Farseer can Grade1 overcharge your Power Plant output by 12% with a few chunks of Sulphur. https://inara.cz/galaxy-engineer/1/ That 12% can make all the difference when trying to squeeze in firepower and defences, it can mean less compromises.

The same goes for other Grade 1 improvements. All they need is a single easy to get material such as Iron, Nickel, Carbon etc. You may find it's all you need to make the difference you want. This thread is handy for getting started: https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showth...374015-Sulphur

Trust me, it really is only a few minutes work! Once you are happy with the process perhaps then you can get further into it and hunt down the more exotic materials for the higher upgrades and fussier Engineers, not forgetting stuff will present itself just by doing your normal day to day business and these days we have material traders scattered all over the place (although there has been some flak for the developers about a few "rip off" transactions).

Originally Posted by Para Handy View Post (Source)
    Yes indeed I did thanks and I have it recorded along with a BBC Alba series about restoration of one plus DVDs of all the available tv progs and then for bedtime the complete collection of Neil Munro's stories. (For shame I also have a DVD of "The Maggie". )
    From this information you may be as old as me, although "The Maggie" came out before I was born, just.
    If you don't do combat in Elite, what's your poison? You could do trading in a 'Clyde Puffer' if Frontier would bring one out, would have to be the size of a Type 7. Catch fish on earth and trade to Silas 3 (made silas 3 up). Although there might even be a Silas 3.!

Originally Posted by Conde View Post (Source)
    Hi galaxias, as usual everyone has provided some excellent advice based on hard won experience plus blood, sweat and tears.

Indeed Conde, I have never bothered with joining a game forum before as they always seem to be scary and threatening places to be communicating in, but here there's been much more advice than I expected by a great margin, and more importantly done in a civil, mature and respectful way, which is refreshing. Even though I've raised some hackles among the combat veterans here I may even have gained the confidence to start another thread this side of 2019!

Thanks for the Engineering tips from yourself

From this information you may be as old as me, although "The Maggie" came out before I was born, just.
    If you don't do combat in Elite, what's your poison? You could do trading in a 'Clyde Puffer' if Frontier would bring one out, would have to be the size of a Type 7. Catch fish on earth and trade to Silas 3 (made silas 3 up). Although there might even be a Silas 3.!
    As far as The Maggie goes I am not usually keen on cannibal zombie films, and it means you are awfully young. (1)

Indeed Conde, I have never bothered with joining a game forum before as they always seem to be scary and threatening places to be communicating in, but here there's been much more advice than I expected by a great margin, and more importantly done in a civil, mature and respectful way, which is refreshing. Even though I've raised some hackles among the combat veterans here I may even have gained the confidence to start another thread this side of 2019!

Thanks for the Engineering tips from yourself
    Just don't expect the same elsewhere in the forums as there can be much more unpleasantness than here.

(1) Yes I know that is a different film that I doubt even Holyweird would claim to be a remake, also I have to confess apart from the locations and the Puffer I am not a fan of the earlier film either.

Originally Posted by aRJay View Post (Source)
    As far as The Maggie goes I am not usually keen on cannibal zombie films, and it means you are awfully young. (1)

Just don't expect the same elsewhere in the forums as there can be much more unpleasantness than here.

(1) Yes I know that is a different film that I doubt even Holyweird would claim to be a remake, also I have to confess apart from the locations and the Puffer I am not a fan of the earlier film either.
    Look at all that space you've wasted between the lines!!!!

Unpleasantness lies everywhere, it's to spot it and avoid, not always easy though.

I don't think I ever saw the film, I remember the TV programs in the 60's but I don't think it was me who would want to watch them, more my parents. But then TV in the mid 60's ANYTHING was watched on account of the novelty.

I don't think I ever saw the film, .......
    Although directed by the same person as "Whisky Galore" and "The Man in the White Suit", it suffered from the perceived need in the 50's UK film industry to have an established American movie star in your film if you had any hope of getting it on the lucrative American market. So apart from a wistful (sanitised) glimpse of life beyond the Crinan Canal in pre-TV days it is a predictable, schmaltzy piece of nonsense. So you are not really missing much.

Originally Posted by Para Handy View Post (Source)
    Although directed by the same person as "Whisky Galore" and "The Man in the White Suit", it suffered from the perceived need in the 50's UK film industry to have an established American movie star in your film if you had any hope of getting it on the lucrative American market. So apart from a wistful (sanitised) glimpse of life beyond the Crinan Canal in pre-TV days it is a predictable, schmaltzy piece of nonsense. So you are not really missing much.
    Putting an American actor, or at least someone with an American accent, still happens in British films and TV.

Seen some of Maggie now...

Originally Posted by Tyres O'Flaherty View Post (Source)
    Felicity also does the g5 FSD. I often wonder why both 'neers go this. Sure there's a logical explanation...
    In my eyes the logical explanation is: FSD range is really not giving you combat advantage, but everybody loves to have it. It's the starters drug they use to fix you up...
    Thus having it available at easily unlockable Engineers, and even two of them who have different unlocks, just makes that upgrade much more accessible. It's quite certain that you have at least one of the two unlocked automatically by just playing for a short time.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234