Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Thargoid Scout Hunting Questions

as far as i can tell, the scouts have either higher or equal thermal resists, so the incendiary secondary on my multicannons is not helping at all, except heating up my ship.
    my friend confirmed that beam lasers high DPS works well for him,
    so as it looks now, my T10 will get a full set of beams in the near future too

I use a Federal Corvette vs the scouts, with 2x G5 Efficient huge gimballed beam lasers (Thermal Vent) + 1 large laser modified and set up the same way. Melts the scouts nicely.

Originally Posted by Bunkerkind Anni View Post (Source)
    as far as i can tell, the scouts have either higher or equal thermal resists, so the incendiary secondary on my multicannons is not helping at all, except heating up my ship.
    Im pretty sure they just straight up resist anything that isnt Anti-Xeno or Absolute. Even the latter im unsure about.

A single large Long Range PA did around 8% Damage to the Scouts, which is much better than the numbers I was getting with rail guns (Around 5% with a Short Range Rails within the damage falloff range)

Also threw some math at the wall and got Scouts having hull of around 800 intergrity as a ballpark figure.

Well not noticing much on my overcharged MC with Auto-Load other than it runs out of ammo faster than the AX Multi's. Think I'll just stick with the beam (over charged and oversized) for a tracker as I had better luck with it and my Guass. Plus it shoots off right away while the others prep at the start of battle and it has a further range and I noticed does damage the scouts at a decent rate for a non Anti-Xeno weapon...

I tend to hunt scouts with ax stuff on Cobra 4 and Challenger- but my Python's two large beam lasers (with Thermal Vent) and a large mc (with corrosive) can chew them up nearly as fast as a dedicated ax build - other two slots tend to be Guardian gauss - but again other stuff works fine. Long as you maintain a good time on target and can put down the dps they pop fairly fast.

Originally Posted by Kamiyoda View Post (Source)
    Im pretty sure they just straight up resist anything that isnt Anti-Xeno or Absolute. Even the latter im unsure about.

A single large Long Range PA did around 8% Damage to the Scouts, which is much better than the numbers I was getting with rail guns (Around 5% with a Short Range Rails within the damage falloff range)

Also threw some math at the wall and got Scouts having hull of around 800 intergrity as a ballpark figure.
    well,
    shooting with different weapons at them, while knowing what damage types they deal and how much per hit - thats a good way to find out the resists and hitpoints.

i have not tested normal PAs yet. they deal mostly absolute and just a fraction thermal and kinetic damage.
    and subjectively, i think flechette and flak deal more damage then cannons

well,
    shooting with different weapons at them, while knowing what damage types they deal and how much per hit - thats a good way to find out the resists and hitpoints.

i have not tested normal PAs yet. they deal mostly absolute and just a fraction thermal and kinetic damage.
    and subjectively, i think flechette and flak deal more damage then cannons
    I cant help but wonder what horrible cannons you have found. Are you using High Yield Shell?

Also PAs deal 60 Absolute, 20 Thermal and 20 Kinetic AFAIK

Originally Posted by Kamiyoda View Post (Source)
    I cant help but wonder what horrible cannons you have found. Are you using High Yield Shell?

Also PAs deal 60 Absolute, 20 Thermal and 20 Kinetic AFAIK
    no HYS... i have freshly remodded long range autoloader C4's on my corvette.
    and hitting scouts with those yamato-class rounds hardly puts a dent into their hulls compared to the 106 shots you have.

a bit more on topic:
    could it be that non-AX weapon turrets wont fire on scouts when set to Fire at will?

no HYS... i have freshly remodded long range autoloader C4's on my corvette.
    and hitting scouts with those yamato-class rounds hardly puts a dent into their hulls compared to the 106 shots you have.

a bit more on topic:
    could it be that non-AX weapon turrets wont fire on scouts when set to Fire at will?
    Well yeah like I said, they resist Human weapons, the same way AX weapons do less damage against human ships. I highly recommend only using Plasma slug or Laser based weapona because of it if your not planning on using AX stuffs

And yes that is it exactly, turrets will not work on scouts in fire at will mode, only fire on target mode. Not exactly sure why though.

Edit: Also yay I got the name of the experimental right!!

My loadout is two Gauss, two large AX MC turrets and a flak. Two heatsinks, one shield booster and... that thingy that saves my behind from drifting helplessly in space. Size 1 cleaning limpet controller, size 3 cargo for 8 limpets, size 6 AX hangar with now a dangerous pilot, size 5 SCBs and a bi-weave fast charging reinforced shield. I hunt for size 6 signals with either a load of scouts or a Cyclops. Hoping for a Cyclops which pays a lot more.

Oh, two weapon settings, one for scouts (no flak) and the other for interceptors. The latter has AX MCs tied to Gausses as they actually help expose the heart quite nicely.

The fact that Krait can be oufitted for both scouts and interceptors and csn also fit a large hangar makes it the most fun AX ship available. When the scouts are whithering down I let my pilot have the ship while I have fun in the SLF. Then you can see the pilot's accuracy with Gausses - or see her idiotically try to use a flak against them... More fun!

Originally Posted by space voyager View Post (Source)
    My loadout is two Gauss, two large AX MC turrets and a flak. Two heatsinks, one shield booster and... that thingy that saves my behind from drifting helplessly in space. Size 1 cleaning limpet controller, size 3 cargo for 8 limpets, size 6 AX hangar with now a dangerous pilot, size 5 SCBs and a bi-weave fast charging reinforced shield. I hunt for size 6 signals with either a load of scouts or a Cyclops. Hoping for a Cyclops which pays a lot more.

Oh, two weapon settings, one for scouts (no flak) and the other for interceptors. The latter has AX MCs tied to Gausses as they actually help expose the heart quite nicely.

The fact that Krait can be oufitted for both scouts and interceptors and csn also fit a large hangar makes it the most fun AX ship available. When the scouts are whithering down I let my pilot have the ship while I have fun in the SLF. Then you can see the pilot's accuracy with Gausses - or see her idiotically try to use a flak against them... More fun!
    Aren't flaks generally only good for the swarms with Interceptors? Or is there a use for them when dealing with scouts too?

Originally Posted by khaos526 View Post (Source)
    Aren't flaks generally only good for the swarms with Interceptors? Or is there a use for them when dealing with scouts too?
    if you hit with them, i think they do good damage.
    i can't really tell, because im generally not good at hitting with them

but if you take a closer look at that post you are quoting, you will notice that he is talking about how he is prepared for both encounters

Being prepared didn't help me yesterday, barely made it out alive from a threat level 7... It would be a shame to lose the pilot again. For interceptors higher than Cyclops it would be wiser to have a very specialized ship.

tonight, i took my Ieagle out for some scout hunting.

What i have learned:
    a class2 AX missile launcher does almost the same damage as fully charged class2 GPC. (~25% of scout hitpoints)
    with both i have a hard time even hitting a scout, and the missiles are even slower then the plasmaballs -> but they don'T require ANY distributor.

vanilla mines may deal damage to scouts, but with their erratic flight pattern, i can't even hit them in reverski
    a turreted class1 frag does no damage to a scout (the station only sold me turrets), probably due to scouts hull hardness.

with that data, it seems i have to get me an ICourier for 3 med hardpoints, or refit my DBX for 2 med 1 large. given the damage numbers, one alpha from the DBX should kill a scout

if you hit with them, i think they do good damage.
    i can't really tell, because im generally not good at hitting with them

but if you take a closer look at that post you are quoting, you will notice that he is talking about how he is prepared for both encounters
    From many scout builds I've seen, it seems people add the Flaks just because they don't count towards the experimental cap. I just thought I was missing something and there was a good reason to have them even for just scouting encounters, but yes it's probably just for bigger encounters as scouts only generally are quick to take down...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123