Thread: Yesterday almost bought NMS

Yesterday almost bought NMS

Almost.

Recently internet blown up with NMS info and content. My YT is flooded with it - not that I'm not watching it, I do, out of curiosity. Fresh update seems to change lots of things and made it for the better. That's the general consensus. Plus there's a 50% discount on Steam so I thought - why not...

Usually I consider my purchases very thoroughly. But sometimes I buy things on a whim. For the past few days I've been reading and watching NMS related stuff to learn and "justify" its purchase. Yesterday I almost bought it on a whim. Almost.

Finally decided it's not ED substitute. Still waiting for SC (tho it probably won't be as I wish it to be - too long in dev state, all hype is gone and I'm tired with waiting so when it comes it will be diminished by extended wait) and looking for good space sim. Recent NMS update looked like it may be it.

But. There's always a "but". NMS is too candy and colorful. I don't like the ship design. Weapons and tools look like cheap 70s and 80s C-class movies about aliens. Flight model feels like arcade and in general you roam the space just to get fuel and materials for your next upgrade. And it's too colorful.

Homeworld had lots of colors too but that was made with taste.

So I decided to skip on the offer, despite the discount (which would be bit greater I would have bought it, current price, even after discount, is bit too high for me for a game I'm not that interested in). Elite, despite it's flaws, grindy RNG dependent gameplay is my current space sim. Probably due to "industrial" look. Ships look like space ships, flight model is nice and it feels more real than cartoonish NMS.

I may be wrong with NMS as I haven't played it, only watched Obsidian Ant's, Yamiks' and other videos and made my judgement based on that. Maybe one day when discount be more than 75%...

But just imagine what this miracle team of 15 can achieve in another 2 years! They'll have surpassed all of EVE Online, Elite and Star Citizen combined, they're just that good. Don't buy it at discount, though, the devs deserve the full price.

If you feel like trying it, just do it. It's not some kind of mortal sin to play other games. Most people actually do play and enjoy more than one game at a time, without being burdened by any feelings of betrayal.

Originally Posted by Vardaugas View Post (Source)
    But just imagine what this miracle team of 15 can achieve in another 2 years! They'll have surpassed all of EVE Online, Elite and Star Citizen combined, they're just that good. Don't buy it at discount, though, the devs deserve the full price.
    Hopefully it was sarcasm.

Originally Posted by Cmdr Eagleboy View Post (Source)
    Hopefully it was sarcasm.
    Sign of the times that it's not clear.

Please use the existing No Man's Sky thread. Thanks very much

https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showth...n-s-Sky-Thread