Results 1 to 11 of 11

Thread: Life Is Strange

  1. #1

    Life Is Strange

    Anyone played this here? Finally got around to it the last week, as the first episode is free. Fast forward a week and I've finished it, plus the Before The Storm prologue and Farewell bonus episode. Like binge-watching a netflix series. It never appealed much to me, the prospect of playing as an 18-year old girl isn't high on my list of things I'd normally enjoy in a game, but I finally gave it a shot after too many people were raving about it.

    Its absurdly well done. Took me about 45 minutes to get into it and the story to open up, but its fantastic. Grim, well-written characters, really difficult choices you'll have to make with consequences you cant always predict easily. Without giving spoilers, one of the choices I had to make was by far the most difficulty and memorable choice I've ever had to make in a game. In any case, well worth it, even when the prospect of playing as a teenage girl in a game without action, combat, explosions or anything doesn't seem very appealing!

  2. #2
    I didn't like the Before the storm. But the original game is absolutely fantastic.
    Played it twice, back to back in about three days. To this day I consider it maybe the best written game I've played.

  3. #3
    As a fan of storytelling in games, the wife adores it.

    However it aint my cup of tea.

  4. #4
    Played the original series, indeed i didnt expect such a fascinating, well narrated story. The time warp mechanic is also really good. I admit i was hit in the face by some story developments, to the point i also binge-played it to the end. The fact it runs perfectly on linux is also a huge plus. For people who like story-driven adventure games (that's mostly a point and click system, with a time travel twist that is really well thought), it's a must have IMHO.

  5. #5
    Only thing I absolutely hated about is a finale. Felt like a whole thing about having a choice and consequence kinda didn't matter anymore. I hardly felt like I've influenced the outcome after all. Apart from that it's a lovely story that anybody can relate to, not just teenage girls.

  6. #6
    Originally Posted by Caramel Clown View Post (Source)
    Only thing I absolutely hated about is a finale. Felt like a whole thing about having a choice and consequence kinda didn't matter anymore. I hardly felt like I've influenced the outcome after all. Apart from that it's a lovely story that anybody can relate to, not just teenage girls.
    Dunno if you played a few times, but there are important changes in the different ending outcomes depending on what you decide to do during the game. The power of the storm, who lives and who doesnt... And yeah they had to bring a closure in any case.

  7. #7
    Originally Posted by Surefoot View Post (Source)
    Dunno if you played a few times, but there are important changes in the different ending outcomes depending on what you decide to do during the game. The power of the storm, who lives and who doesnt... And yeah they had to bring a closure in any case.
    I know. But to me it's an indicator of a badly designed finale. If it takes multiple playthroughs to see the consequences in a game built around choice and consequence something isn't quite right.

  8. #8
    been looking at it for some time, but never purchased it, I need to check if it is something I want to play.

  9. #9
    Originally Posted by Caramel Clown View Post (Source)
    I know. But to me it's an indicator of a badly designed finale. If it takes multiple playthroughs to see the consequences in a game built around choice and consequence something isn't quite right.
    Well that's how it should be done if there are actual, long term consequences to your choices, otherwise you end up with a stupid "3 choices" finale or other mass effect like options... This is the very definition of meaningful choices. For what it's worth you can replay sections of the game where you want to alter the choices...

  10. #10
    Originally Posted by Surefoot View Post (Source)
    Well that's how it should be done if there are actual, long term consequences to your choices, otherwise you end up with a stupid "3 choices" finale or other mass effect like options... This is the very definition of meaningful choices. For what it's worth you can replay sections of the game where you want to alter the choices...
    That's not how I've envisioned it. I don't want to spoil anything here for those who didn't play, but choices presented in the end felt very disconnected from everything else. Consequences of your previous actions had no influence on the final choice. That's how it felt to me. Otherwise, I loved the story.

  11. #11
    Originally Posted by lysan View Post (Source)
    been looking at it for some time, but never purchased it, I need to check if it is something I want to play.
    The first episode is free, and by the end you'll know if its for you or not.