Thread: Sentry Skimmer

Sentry Skimmer

"Sentry Skimmer"

That's it. That's all it says, ...

How do I know if I can shoot it without all kinds C&P jacked up'ness.

I can't scan it, tried both from the turret and cockpit, I can't get any beat on who it belongs to, or what else is going on.

It just sits there buzzing about staring at me.

Behind it is a hunk of, something metal, and a red box.

What do I do and how do I know if I can do what ever I do or not?

Edit: not on a mission, out looking for arsenic.

Pain in the bum isn't it...you used to be able to scan them. I believe that as long as you outside the influence of a surface base then they will be wanted. Another way to check is to see if the stuff they are protecting is legal or not. IF not then shooting them will get you in trouble. Although the opposite is almost always true I have been caught out by it. I've never found skimmers I can't legally shoot on a planet with no surface base but others may be able to add some detail as to why that is.
    No idea if this is something FD changed on purpose without a patch note or just a bug they have not fixed in a long time.

Yep, I have given up even shooting them. If out surface prospecting and I come upon a secure area *red box in the middle of nowhere with three or four skimmers guarding some containers or a life pod I have found I can drive into the secure area and scoop up the goodies (after checking to see if they are legal cargo of course). The skimmers will buzz around me, but if I don't fire at them, they won't fire at me. Another trick is if the area is relatively flat, you can scoot into the secure zone and knock the containers out of the zone (use the wheels of the SRV because the body will go right over them). Then you can retrieve the containers at your pleasure because the skimmers won't leave the secure area if they aren't under attack.

Don't waste your time with them. The stuff that they guard isn't worth that much, and there's often some unguarded stuff nearby that you can pick up with no risk. I guess they did that because it was too easy using them for kill skimmer missions. All this sort of thing is a complete waste of time anyway when you can earn at ten times the rate doing easy passenger missions. Use your time on the planet to collect materials rather than cargo.

Originally Posted by d8veh View Post (Source)
    Don't waste your time with them. The stuff that they guard isn't worth that much, and there's often some unguarded stuff nearby that you can pick up with no risk. I guess they did that because it was too easy using them for kill skimmer missions. All this sort of thing is a complete waste of time anyway when you can earn at ten times the rate doing easy passenger missions. Use your time on the planet to collect materials rather than cargo.
    While I don't disagree we aren't all only focussed on doing the efficient thing. I'm well aware that it is not sensible from a financial PoV to collect cargo on the surface but I still do it as it is fun (or I like doing it anyway). A bit of a distraction after shooting rocks for a while.

Originally Posted by Rob_the_Sparky View Post (Source)
    While I don't disagree we aren't all only focussed on doing the efficient thing. I'm well aware that it is not sensible from a financial PoV to collect cargo on the surface but I still do it as it is fun (or I like doing it anyway). A bit of a distraction after shooting rocks for a while.
    Filling up with palladium at a crashed anaconda is quite efficient.

Also - Taaffeite, Jadeite and Platinum high-value containers snatched from stashes is something I do from time to time (never found low-temp diamonds though).

Originally Posted by Para Handy View Post (Source)
    Filling up with palladium at a crashed anaconda is quite efficient.

Also - Taaffeite, Jadeite and Platinum high-value containers snatched from stashes is something I do from time to time (never found low-temp diamonds though).
    Yeah but it is nothing compared to a few million from missions or multiple million per T9 load to an outbreak system. However, I only managed about 40 million in profit from an outbreak system meds bulk cargo before getting VERY bored of it, I was making 4 million per trip. Sure is a fast way to make cash but as said above I quite like bumbling about in the SRV. Although TBH I am rubbish at doing any one thing for too long, I go through phases. The bulk cargo to outbreak was just one of the shortest phases...

Just watch the warning message you get when you cross the red perimeter. If it says “leave to avoid threat” the skimmers are wanted. If it says “leave to avoid sanctions” the skimmers are clean.

Generally those at bases and mining camps are Clean, almost all (95%+ ?) others Wanted. Ideal if you want to complete 'kill skimmer' missions without incurring a bounty or taking on a base's defences.

Originally Posted by Rob_the_Sparky View Post (Source)
    Yeah but it is nothing compared to a few million from missions or multiple million per T9 load to an outbreak system. .............
    Quite right, I was not proposing surface salvage as a viable raison d'Ítre - just mentioned that it can be lucrative if one is on the scrounge for raw materials anyway. So, for example, when filling-up with G4 raws at the crashed 'conda, sticking 64t of Palladium in your parked-up AspX certainly pays for the fuel that the 90KLs sc trip uses.

Sorry, I'm a little late on this conversation but yes it is a bug. The "3.0 Patch" killed it. When FD upgraded the planet gens, which btw are absolutely stunning, they broke the defenses information panels for Skimmers, Turrets, Stn Display, and Factions. Most could care less but there are a few of us that enjoy the planet skimming just for fun, and there are benefits for doing this but again most don't care. This isn't shown as a bug or a future fix but FD does know about it and they are going to fix it. Just didn't say WHEN!!!! Very annoying. A lot of players have given good information on tricks to get around, for the most part. But I have gotten myself into serious trouble and factional problems due to not knowing Who, What, When, Where, and possibly Why.
    This issue is very low on the board mainly, as you have seen, most just don't care about this side of the game or just deal with the tricks, but I have been told by Devs that FD does know and is going to fix it.
    Some day in the future we will be able to shoot with our eyes open again. See ya in the black Commander o7

Thanks, nice to know they are aware of it as a bug at least.