Results 1 to 14 of 14

Thread: That was easy!

  1. #1

    That was easy!

    Picked up a scan the data beacon mission.
    Only a short distance to travel.
    Actually told me which planet in mission description- so no need to go anywhere near the nav beacon.

    Landed easily.
    Trundled across in my SRV.
    No skimmers or turrets.
    Scan private beacon - mission updated.
    No fines or bounties.
    Trundled back to ship.
    Return to base with no attacks or interdictions.

    Pick up 1.2 million credits.

    I can't ever remember it being this simple.
    Have they changed something?

  2. #2
    What was the mission rating?

  3. #3
    They were all out at the time

  4. #4
    Is that a Planetary Scan Mission? If so I avoided those for ages, I think the whole C&P ‘thing’ was enough to put me off just after 3.0 launched but I’ve been doing them recently and they seem like money for old rope. Even when you pick up a small bounty and get shot at it’s easy stuff.

    Just what a Cobra was made for

  5. #5
    I did one of these using the data link scanner on my Corvette just to see if it would work. In short it did, though because of the size of my ship I was in the trespass zone for a while and got shot at.
    Question, do I incur additional bounty or notoriety if I shoot back at base turrets or skimmers from my ship?

  6. #6
    Hmm..

    Doesn't sound like any planetary scan mission I've ever done, and I've done hundreds!!

    You never get the target body in the mission description, always have to honk or scan the nav beacon.

    No skimmers or turrets is just an RNG thing, although with standard planetary scans, there's typically two types of target, a building or an outpost. Both might have skimmers or not, they're always wanted so can be shot. Buildings don't have turrets, outposts always have turrets, one anti ship, one anti SRV. If it's a private beacon they will fire at you once you complete the scan or trigger the trespass zone (which is completely avoidable).

    You always get a bounty, 500 or 600 credits, for scanning a private beacon. No way to avoid it.

    Getting attacked on the way back from a planetary scan mission would just be an RNG occurrence, they don't have hostile ships sent against you in my experience.

    So, unless FD have changed both the planetary scan mission template and removed the automatic bounty for scanning a private beacon, then I'm not sure what mission you picked up.

    @Straga - If the skimmers / turrets aren't wanted, then you will get a bounty (5 or 6 hundred credits for each one). They are however always wanted in my experience if they are guarding a planetary scan location. Due to a (presumed) bug, they don't show any info when you target them, including legal status, but as I said, they are always wanted with these mission templates. You don't get notoriety for shooting and destroying skimmers / turrets anyway, it's just an assault bounty even if you destroy them.

  7. #7
    It was most likely a Public beacon, so no Trespass bounty for scanning it.

  8. #8
    The last time I did one was version 3.0. I scanned the beacon with my SRV, got a bounty and drove back to my ship. I'd done a few before, so I knew the routine. I was in solo, but using my ultra-tanked PvP DBX with prismatic shields. The moment I pressed the board ship button, my ship came under attack. The shields were one-shotted (less than a second according to the log). By the time I was in the pilot's seat, my hull was down to 50% and my thrusters were gone, so I couldn't take off or shoot back. 3 seconds later, my ship exploded. The whole thing took 14 seconds, most of which I didn't see because I was in the elevator. My notoriety was zero. All I had was the 500cr bounty for the scan. If that's not AI cheating, I don't know what is.

    For some reason, i became totally disillusioned with the game after that and have hardly played since. I did a couple of newbie vids in my other account, but have otherwise lacked the motivation to play. I don't think it was just this incident, but some other things too.

  9. #9
    Here's the code from EDDiscovery:

    It was a datalink at a fuel depot.
    Pretty certain it was a private link.

    {"timestamp":"2018-08-03T13:38:25Z","event":"MissionAccepted","Faction":"Ebor Syndicate","Name":"MISSION_Hack","LocalisedName":"Interact with the Fuel Depot datalink","Target":"$MissionUtil_Settlement_Target_FuelDepot;","Target_Localised":"Fuel Depot","Expiry":"2018-08-08T21:52:40Z","Wing":false,"Influence":"Med","Reputation":"Med","Reward":1254316,"MissionID":407492807}

  10. #10
    Originally Posted by Maenden View Post (Source)
    Here's the code from EDDiscovery:

    It was a datalink at a fuel depot.
    Pretty certain it was a private link.

    {"timestamp":"2018-08-03T13:38:25Z","event":"MissionAccepted","Faction":"Ebor Syndicate","Name":"MISSION_Hack","LocalisedName":"Interact with the Fuel Depot datalink","Target":"$MissionUtil_Settlement_Target_FuelDepot;","Target_Localised":"Fuel Depot","Expiry":"2018-08-08T21:52:40Z","Wing":false,"Influence":"Med","Reputation":"Med","Reward":1254316,"MissionID":407492807}
    Ok. That's "Hack Into The Datalink" scan mission rather than a standard planetary scan. Those are AFAIK given out by anarchy / pirate factions and are different as they send you to a specific base, not a randomly generated data point.

    Regarding it being private, I don't know... All I do know is that I have always got a bounty for scanning a private data point, so if it was private and you didn't, there's a lucky bug.

  11. #11
    Here's another one I picked up - worth almost 2million.
    I'm guessing if it's a private beacon it's owned by the faction that sent you there. So no bounties??????

    I can't remember coming across scans like these before - are they new - or is it something to do with status?

    It's easy money - I could have done with things like this when I was struggling to move from a Sidewinder to an Asp.


  12. #12
    Are these ones that are described as "considered illegal" in some places in the mssion description? I've always declined them so it may be wortb a new look. I've only come across them as follow-on missions.

  13. #13
    Originally Posted by Maenden View Post (Source)
    Here's another one I picked up - worth almost 2million.
    I'm guessing if it's a private beacon it's owned by the faction that sent you there. So no bounties??????

    I can't remember coming across scans like these before - are they new - or is it something to do with status?

    It's easy money - I could have done with things like this when I was struggling to move from a Sidewinder to an Asp.
    Honestly I don't know why you don't get a bounty... I haven't done those missions for a long while, since when I did try them, you got wanted for all sorts of things, trespass, shooting at the skimmers, everything... I'm guessing it's just how the mission template works, but one of the issues with standard planetary scans was exactly that you did get a bounty, sometimes from the very faction that gave you the mission! Another wonderful inconsistency.

    All that said, bounties are just a time sink these days, requiring (at some point) a trip to an IF to clean your slate, assuming no notoriety.

    The mission type isn't new. In the system that I call home they are (as I said above) given out by the two anarchy factions while all the other factions give out standard planetary scan missions, and while they have the same icon as a planetary scan mission they are a different mission type, I'd guess taken from a different template.

  14. #14
    Originally Posted by Maenden View Post (Source)
    Picked up a scan the data beacon mission.
    Only a short distance to travel.
    Actually told me which planet in mission description- so no need to go anywhere near the nav beacon.

    Landed easily.
    Trundled across in my SRV.
    No skimmers or turrets.
    Scan private beacon - mission updated.
    No fines or bounties.
    Trundled back to ship.
    Return to base with no attacks or interdictions.

    Pick up 1.2 million credits.

    I can't ever remember it being this simple.
    Have they changed something?
    Nope - sometimes the missions are jusat that easy.

    You can even scan the beacon from your ship these days - no need to get in the SRV at all, and a lot more survivable if it's a private beacon.