Thread: Puzzling Palin

Puzzling Palin

I made a decent honest crust for months, couriering data between systems, because of that whole thing about ships actually able to travel faster than light and transmissions couldn't. Which, given the milleux, seems perfectly reasonable.

Yet here I am, over 5kly away from the bubble, and this Palin chappie gets to send me an instant message!

Does anyone have some handwavium explanation for why this can happen, yet everyone else has to rely on ship-borne communications between systems??

(Also, I would have expected by this stage to have ceased meeting USS's and wrecks / escape pods etc on planets, but no, the galaxy is just littered with them, it seems..!)

*wavehand* The messages you carry are sensitive information which shouldn't get in the hands of anyone even encrypted. While the information of your reached distance is common knowledge.

*wavehand* Or alternative explanation: the message from Palin is already stored on your ships' computer. Once it registers you made the 5000ly it is played.

Both good, I will buy the second one especially, though

Thank you!

You can receive Galnet news broadcasts at the far side of the Galaxy (and you can also receive communications from friends over that distance too, with no lag). So I think that FTL communication is an accepted fact in the E D universe, just that some types of information cannot be transmitted via that method, perhaps the FTL transmissions can't be "directed" or "securely encrypted".

Originally Posted by Para Handy View Post (Source)
    You can receive Galnet news broadcasts at the far side of the Galaxy (and you can also receive communications from friends over that distance too, with no lag). So I think that FTL communication is an accepted fact in the E D universe, just that some types of information cannot be transmitted via that method, perhaps the FTL transmissions can't be "directed" or "securely encrypted".
    Like the "Dirac" messages in James Blish's stories where all receivers picked up any message broadcast
    actually that should be all messages ever sent, never send a Dirac message with reporting someone's death!