Thread: Frustration with the grind of certain types of missions

Frustration with the grind of certain types of missions

I realized that I probably posted this in the wrong forum section so here goes in the Newcomers section.

I'm not a brand new player but I haven't played since release and thought about getting back into the game. When I logged in, I had about 4 mil in credits and a ship so I get a Diamond Explorer ship and start doing some exploration to sell to make some money. This works well but I want to do other things, non-combat right now. So I am debating between buying a nice cargo ship and doing cargo missions or a transporter and doing passenger missions.

I decide on passenger missions and I turned in enough exploration data to the station I was at to become allied, but when I start perusing through the Passenger missions, it shows me ALLY with the top most guy, but all the other mission givers are all Neutral. I'm confused. Is this a bug or intended?

Also, the big passenger missions (ones that give 20+ mil) require you to travel extreme distances.

Example: For just a 30 million credit passenger mission you have to travel in upwards of 25,000 light years away. If I were to buy and outfit a Dolphin, the most I could get for jump range is probably about 30 ly max. So if you take that ship and try to do this mission, I would need to make 833 jumps. Is Frontier Development serious with this? Just to do one mission to make 30 million credits, I need to do 833 jumps.

Oh, and you have to COME BACK to that station to get paid. So it would actually be 1600 jumps. For one mission. For one payout. Of 30 million credits.

Am I saying this right?

Am I missing something with this? How do players make money with Passenger missions? All over Google I see people say "Passenger missions are great and make tons of money"....ummm..where? They can't mean doing these long 25,000 light year missions.

Any help or advice would be appreciated.

1. You became allied with the controlling minor-faction when you sold your exploration data. You did nothing for the other factions so they are still at neutral.

2. You understand correctly - go a long way to make big bucks. Tourists want to be returned - transporting people to a place does not require return for payment.

3. There is a situation (there are situations?) where you can stack a few local tourist-missions and so make a shedload of credits quickly.

4. Why are you grinding? It is a game, you should be doing things that entertain you.

Originally Posted by Para Handy View Post (Source)
    1. You became allied with the controlling minor-faction when you sold your exploration data. You did nothing for the other factions so they are still at neutral.

2. You understand correctly - go a long way to make big bucks. Tourists want to be returned - transporting people to a place does not require return for payment.

3. There is a situation (there are situations?) where you can stack a few local tourist-missions and so make a shedload of credits quickly.

4. Why are you grinding? It is a game, you should be doing things that entertain you.

Thank you.

I might go do those Boom Data Delivery Missions for a bit using a cargo ship and get some reputation and credits, then buy a Dolphin or something and do the Passenger missions.

I heartily recommend getting allied with as many factions as possible. I did quite a few data runs for less credit and greater rep. Once allied, payouts appear to get quite juicy for cargo delivery runs as well as collect and return.

I may have just had a run of luck but I netted just shy of 10m this afternoon. That's s unheard of profit in my world.

Originally Posted by joejccva71 View Post (Source)
    Thank you.

I might go do those Boom Data Delivery Missions for a bit using a cargo ship and get some reputation and credits, then buy a Dolphin or something and do the Passenger missions.
    You don't need a cargo ship for data delivery. It's stored on your computer.

The very long range transport missions will be to the mini bubble Colonia 22kLy towards the core, they are a bonus for people who were going to fly there anyway, the other passenger missions that pay well tend to have a long cruise to the destination point in the system.

There are ways to go 20kLy + journeys in fewer jumps they involve flying into the "jets" of Neutron Stars which can supercharge you FSD so you travel many times further, look for neutron superhighway.

I always looked at long range passenger missions as a side mission whilst doing a bit of exploring and/or long range sightseeing of my own. That way the mission payout is just a bonus. You get four weeks to complete them and if you want big credits you can stack those going to the same general region to create a pathway to the furthest point you wish/need to travel along