Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: [Veterans] Share your experience!

Originally Posted by zn˘rt View Post (Source)
    nail. for that however you need a playing ground. i think 'pp open only' was a very good idea towards achieving that, although it would have absolutely needed a revamp of network functionality. this is exactly what (imo!) fails in elite: it's turned a solo game where you can occasionally meet others. that's not good enough to promote collective gameplay (expeditions, buckyball etc are actually exceptions). it's the same reason why we have gorgeous planetary bases and srv, but nothing happens on them. believe it or not, the trailler showed a thrilling base assault by land and, erm, space. most in elite is geared for a player to do single handedly: go fetch this, go kill that. big evolution was, hey! you can do that now in wings of 4! ok! now what? ... erm ... multicrew! yawn. it's just not how multiplayer worlds work.

don't get me wrong, there are communities: bgs, powerplay ... but most of the action is actually politics and happens outside of the game. in-game it's just grind, to a great extent solo.
    It's interesting because my previous MMO-ish xp was WoW (and before that DAoC), which was a very extremely flawed "massively" multiplayer aspect but directed people towards 4-ish sized groups, too. They did more work trying to track faction progress but it still kinda failed. I dunno, I haven't met a game that has managed to do fluid gameplay beyond 4 allies and 4 enemies beyond an FPS (never played EVE so dunno the deal there).

I'd be okay with E : D sticking to 4s too if they could manage to get PP to handle larger numbers better in the long term or big picture. I think that ship (never) sailed, though. Ah well.

In any case, even making WoW-ish instance objectives where say...you got a DBX being Apache missile support and player 2 lands and SRVs into the base would be much more interesting. Thargoids are at least a step in that direction kinda? I guess healing ships are a thing.

yeah, sorry if i've been a bit ranty not sure if that was actually your question, but it's actually difficult to answer. i was completely baffled and hooked when i started in elite (on release), but i think that's the same any new player (most, anyway) will experience now. it is a superb experience, and that very much remains. the difference is that then i saw a lot of potential, and i was totally hyped about what would come next, and i'm less inclined to see that potential now and beyond that experience ... dunno.

one particular thing i miss is the combat model, back when only stock modules existed and before shields got buffed to ridiculous levels. it was much more straightforward and simple and yet much more engaging and fun, all you needed was a few credits, and every ship had distinctive advantages and disadvantages. w.g. if you saw a vulture you knew for sure it would fight to the death because it just had no other option ... but then again it was an exceptional brawler. that sort of thing, it gave the ships a character.

I've been playing since the alpha and I think some of the things I was really impressed with that later evolved would be:

1) Heat management used as a stealth mechanic. I remember this was a big deal way back when. It was really cool to go all 'silent running' and see your cockpit ice up. Of course it's still a mechanic, but it really isn't used like I thought it would be. Missions like that one in the tutorial where you had to use it to sneak past some NPCs suggested gameplay that really isn't there. Which brings me to...

2) The tutorials. These are still, to this day, FD's best storytelling in Elite Dangerous. There was a small arc, but it was there. You felt the stakes. Nothing since has matched that....not all the GalNet news or Community Goals. Before the game launched we had these tutorials to play, and I really thought this was just a taste of some really epic storytelling. I was wrong on that one.

3) The economy. As Chris pointed out, the economy was a lot different back in the day. Payouts were small and ships were expensive. I'm not saying it evolved in a negative direction, but things are certainly different now that earning millions right out of the gate is common. It does change the feel of the game.

4) The community. There used to be a lot more optimism and positivism. I think offline-gate was the death knell for that. It really splintered the community. Of course after we all got the game in our hands and we actually had something concrete to debate on the forum a lot of that wide-eyed optimism evaporated. Whereas before the biggest arguments were about how we envisioned the game to be when it came out, now it was whether or not it was actually any good, or whether and how it should change. Those arguments have a tendency to create a lot more drama than just blind theorycrafting.

Originally Posted by LuxAeterna View Post (Source)
    Many of us that just came into the game in the past few years have little-to-no clue as to how Elite used to be. Would you share some of the things that you thought made the game great from the beginning that changed over the life of the game?

Note: This isn't a debate whether or not the feature/mechanic was great or not. These are all personal opinions, please be respectful. Thanks for sharing in advance!
    1) in a very early beta iirc if a system exported product Y it needed a constant supply of product X....
    npcs simulated a certain level of supply but if the demand was great for an export (which it was when we were all playing in 5 systems!!!) we had to bolster that supply or things ground to a hold.... this was removed after complaints.

2) after launch fuel and ship wear and tear was brutal on some ships. I admit some went to far - the python - but it meant that for some missions it really made no fiscal sense to use a big ship, and there was a real risk reward vibe for picking a cheapo ship to do some stuff.. it needed work but instead pretty much got canned.

3) landing was harder.... if you came in too hard and hit the station you would be faced with a big bill or just blow up. I liked this.

4) the pay made more sense to me... it took proper time to fix up a ship..... it fell apart abit once looking at ships beyond the asp level tho but i would not swap my 1st 6 months in the game for anything...... the excitement of saving up for a gimballed laser as opposed to fixed, or burst instead of pulse, or going from C rated to B rated FSD in my adder or what ever was fab.
    side effect was if a ship dropped cargo, it was worth potentially losing a kill to stop and pick up. imo piracy was at its most relevant at launch

Originally Posted by Jenner View Post (Source)
    I've been playing since the alpha and I think some of the things I was really impressed with that later evolved would be:

1) Heat management used as a stealth mechanic. I remember this was a big deal way back when. It was really cool to go all 'silent running' and see your cockpit ice up. Of course it's still a mechanic, but it really isn't used like I thought it would be. Missions like that one in the tutorial where you had to use it to sneak past some NPCs suggested gameplay that really isn't there. Which brings me to...
    Oooh, good one - which also reminds me about subsystem targetting. I seem to recall that, when the game first came out, the idea of targetting subsystems to (for example) knock out a ship's weapons or thrusters prior to taking down its hull, was a big thing but that we/I don't tend to do it much these days. Is this because the game has changed or is it simply that we've learned that it's not as useful as we once thought?

Thanks to everyone for your responses! This question came about after a forum user posted about the way exploration used to be "back in the day" (Again, thank you, if you're reading!) before the discovery scanner. It was an interesting enough post that I'm willing to try the old way of exploring and might be back in-game soon for some old skool exploration.
    I got to thinking maybe the veterans could reminisce a bit and share the early days of Elite with us noobs. So, please continue sharing! I find the info very interesting and maybe other will as well.

[Edit] Obsidian Ant did a Alpha & Beta "Looking back" video today coincidentally.

Originally Posted by Jenner View Post (Source)

2) The tutorials. These are still, to this day, FD's best storytelling in Elite Dangerous. There was a small arc, but it was there. You felt the stakes. Nothing since has matched that....not all the GalNet news or Community Goals. Before the game launched we had these tutorials to play, and I really thought this was just a taste of some really epic storytelling. I was wrong on that one.

3) The economy. As Chris pointed out, the economy was a lot different back in the day. Payouts were small and ships were expensive. I'm not saying it evolved in a negative direction, but things are certainly different now that earning millions right out of the gate is common. It does change the feel of the game.

4) The community. There used to be a lot more optimism and positivism. I think offline-gate was the death knell for that. It really splintered the community. Of course after we all got the game in our hands and we actually had something concrete to debate on the forum a lot of that wide-eyed optimism evaporated. Whereas before the biggest arguments were about how we envisioned the game to be when it came out, now it was whether or not it was actually any good, or whether and how it should change. Those arguments have a tendency to create a lot more drama than just blind theorycrafting.
    I agree with a lot of what you're saying here mate, I don't want to sound like an old grumpy man, there are many things in ED that is just awesome, still to this very day, it's just some of the content they actually said they would make still is not in the game, and to me that is sad, because I just didn't want to play the game anymore.

I absolutely loved how brutal the game used to be when it was in beta and after the initial launch. Gaining a bounty in any Federation/Alliance/Empire system resulted in you becoming wanted in EVERY system belonging to that superpower. It was very easy to find yourself an exile forced to head out toward the Frontier to eke out a living in the mostly independent worlds along civilization's fringe. Unfortunately ... people complained and galactic law and order was reduced to something much less dynamic and much more boring.

The best thing about the early days of Elite: Dangerous was the possibilities. We didn't know just how empty the galaxy was so when we first went out exploring there was always the possibility of discovering something truly unique like abandoned space stations, derelict spacecraft or maybe even the remnants of some long extinct civilization.

Originally Posted by lysan View Post (Source)
    I agree with a lot of what you're saying here mate, I don't want to sound like an old grumpy man, there are many things in ED that is just awesome, still to this very day, it's just some of the content they actually said they would make still is not in the game, and to me that is sad, because I just didn't want to play the game anymore.
    I haven't actually played the game in months ... but to be fair I played for hours every single day for over two years. I don't think it is the lack of content that keeps me from wanting to play ... I think it is simply burnout. I still love Elite and look forward to coming back ... but maybe not until all of my kids are in college and I don't feel like I'm robbing them of my time. I figure two more years and maybe Elite will have enough new content to make the game feel fresh again.

As much as we've all faced disappointments with this game...it's still my fave game over NMS for example, and I like you chaps. So I guess it's home.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12