Thread: Transfer of wealth?

Transfer of wealth?

Hi folks.

I've been doing all this wandering recently which has given me loads of time to think. Never a good thing.

As the only real way to transfer wealth in this game is to shoot someone and nick their cargo, I suppose you can jet and scoop without a fight!... would people like to see a player trading system, or leave that to Eve?

To create a decent economy there would have to be a separate and higher level of commodities, would this be too much?

Watcha all reckon?

I wouldn't want a player trading system in Elite. All those trade offers spamming the chat in MMORPGs are annoying enough. I would hate to see that in Elite.

It would probably need a completely new mechanic. Perhaps a "marketplace" you can access at stations only but I don't see how local chat spam could be avoided.

Then you have to have a supply and demand infrastructure; would it be for credits only? What sort of goods would be bought and sold? Do they better your ship? Do they/it affect game balance?

It's too complicated for my pea sizec noggin to assess...

You can earn credits faster than you can scoop up donated cargo, so that's a complete waste of time.

Originally Posted by tclancey View Post (Source)
    Hi folks.To create a decent economy there would have to be a separate and higher level of commodities, would this be too much?Watcha all reckon?
    What did you have in mind?I think racing for pink slips would invigorate the game.

There already is a player group that will trade stuff with you. Modular Terminals is the obvious one they do. Go search if you want to know more, ah canny be bothered.

Originally Posted by phong View Post (Source)
    What did you have in mind?I think racing for pink slips would invigorate the game.
    Combat for pink slips!
    (Err...maybe scrap rights?)

Originally Posted by phong View Post (Source)
    First to Hutton Orbital gets the Anaconda in the hanger there.

Originally Posted by aRJay View Post (Source)
    First to Hutton Orbital gets the Anaconda in the hanger there.
    I saw that but I think the narrative said that all pilots who made it to Hutton got a free 'Conda. It's a fact, sctually. I have five now. I sold the rest so I could A rate them.

Originally Posted by tclancey View Post (Source)
    Hi folks.

I've been doing all this wandering recently which has given me loads of time to think. Never a good thing.

As the only real way to transfer wealth in this game is to shoot someone and nick their cargo, I suppose you can jet and scoop without a fight!... would people like to see a player trading system, or leave that to Eve?

To create a decent economy there would have to be a separate and higher level of commodities, would this be too much?

Watcha all reckon?
    EVE's economy is an incredible thing; I recall CCP hiring a professional market analyst to do a study on it!

I don't think it would work with Elite Dangerous, though. It works for EVE because it's built from the ground-up as a PvP game - the economy needs the continual destruction of stuff to drive demand, otherwise it would stagnate. Then there's the economic chain in itself, which flows from raw materials and the conflicts waged to secure them, to the manufacturing process which involves blueprints and their development, to the marketplace itself, which is utterly cutthroat - market PvP is very much a thing in EVE!

Personally I would love all that, but I don't think it would gel with the architecture and design of Elite.

As for simple cash transactions between players; probably redundant with how easy it is to make money, but the Elite franchise has always been about starting with a rubbish ship and a handful of credits and clawing your way up. Gifting your newbie mates a few million seems to go against that, imo. On the other hand, a system for cash payments for things like merc services, assassinations, or even tribute would open up some great gameplay

Id rather there wasn't a player trading system. Makes it too easy for gold miners to start selling credits for cash.