Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.
Thread: Carnivores Hunt Too Much

Carnivores Hunt Too Much

This is nuts.... like they hunt for no reason at all, even when their food meter is like completely full. Just non-stop attacking, just hunting everything they see with no hint of thought. It's awful.

Also the hunting animations are really bad.... the herbivores just stand there for the most part, still, while the 'animation' happens. Like it never feels like it actually hunts like in JPOG.

You would think you can make a nice big exhibit, with the dinosaurs living their normal life, but nope, you can never put carnivores and herbivores together, ever. And with no herding capability, you can never quite recreate the Jurassic Park feel, like that unforgettable scene from JP1, on the open grasslands with various kinds of dinosaurs coexisting.

This is being fixed already in the next update. Carnivores will hunt based on their hunger, and not all the time. The only exception being the I-Rex and I-Raptor, which will always be killing machines.

Originally Posted by MightyRevenge View Post (Source)
    This is nuts.... like they hunt for no reason at all, even when their food meter is like completely full. Just non-stop attacking, just hunting everything they see with no hint of thought. It's awful.

Also the hunting animations are really bad.... the herbivores just stand there for the most part, still, while the 'animation' happens. Like it never feels like it actually hunts like in JPOG.

You would think you can make a nice big exhibit, with the dinosaurs living their normal life, but nope, you can never put carnivores and herbivores together, ever. And with no herding capability, you can never quite recreate the Jurassic Park feel, like that unforgettable scene from JP1, on the open grasslands with various kinds of dinosaurs coexisting.
    Yeah they are doing surplus killings like some animals do in real life... I think only the highly territorial animals should do this.
    Also you can never recreate the original park with that limited amount of space. A T-Rex would defend the entire territory, with the space we have now. Confronting every dinosaur in this space. That's not uncommon. They would probably have a territory range of 200 kilometers and wouldn't allow any other carnivores inside this range... The problem is really the herbivores that doesn't run or defend themselves.

what I've started to wonder about, is how will this effect them getting into fights? tie to hunger won't have a lot of impact maybe?? cause I expect large carns meeting each other and/or tough herbies would trigger a fight still?

I know I've seen a damaged ceratosaurus or the herbie it was fighting, don't remember which, run away during a fight instead of ending in death. It would be really great if they could code this in so that this is always the result if the carnivore involved is not hungry.

but hey, if fight events are simply "switched off" while non-hungry carns are roaming near the herbs, who react by panicking or maybe ignoring them, I could live with that too.

Originally Posted by MarcWP View Post (Source)
    Yeah they are doing surplus killings like some animals do in real life...
    No they're not. The AI is just badly programmed and it will be fixed in the next update.

6. This is the last staff post in this thread. #6
    Dino hunting behaviour will receive a fix in the next update!

Originally Posted by danny86 View Post (Source)
    when is this update thn coming bo you have post what on reddit

bo do you have news there is no live stream from you is this update coming tomorrow or next week
    we already know they are modifying behavior and adding content rather than just a quick patch, it isn't to be expected that soon. the more they are going to add to and improve the AI, the longer I can wait, if it is another month or two

Originally Posted by Bo Marit View Post (Source)
    Dino hunting behaviour will receive a fix in the next update!
    Great news

Originally Posted by SonOfTheSun View Post (Source)
    No they're not. The AI is just badly programmed and it will be fixed in the next update.
    Ummm... Despite the programming, they are still doing surplus killings... Weird to state otherwise, when this is facts.

Originally Posted by MarcWP View Post (Source)
    Ummm... Despite the programming, they are still doing surplus killings... Weird to state otherwise, when this is facts.
    I think they meant that it isn't very realistic, not that they didn't endlessly hunt. Yeah predators sometimes hunt for sport, but they don't hunt everything in sight constantly over and over again until they eventually die (unless they have rabies or something).

Originally Posted by Dinocanid View Post (Source)
    I think they meant that it isn't very realistic, not that they didn't endlessly hunt. Yeah predators sometimes hunt for sport, but they don't hunt everything in sight constantly over and over again until they eventually die (unless they have rabies or something).
    I agree. Or if they have very limited space to protect as far as territory goes.

I had changed the genes to max out the life span as much as possible, the herbivores that DO protect themselves are horribly weak to a carnivore that I have done the exact same thing to.
    I had let loose an allo. and it was killing every armored herbivore with easy two shotting them all.