Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.
Thread: I find the quallity argument against mods insulting as anything

I don't care because mod quality often does suck for more advanced games.

not to take away from the depth and greatness of these types of games, but with an overall "simple layout" and graphical interface such as RimWorld, are the greatest platforms for mods but that's my opinion

The comment that they did make wasn't thought through and came out as insulting. great thing about mods is you dont have to download the bad ones. I dont see any harm in skin mods. God knows the Velociraptors really need better skins.

IGN was right. this game is 4.8/10. should have cost $10. nowhere near enough content, updates, or replay-ability to justify $60. mods would have definitely helped that. there are some very good artists. GTAV has some great mods, some not so great too, but you don't have to use those ones.

I don't understand what the deal is with some people. This game uses the intellectual property of another company. Of course they won't allow mods. GTA 5 doesn't use the intellectual property of another company, except for songs ad you all can see how Rockstar will handle that. They will rip whole radio stations out of their games to avoid the hassle and cost of relicensing the music.

It's a different world now. A world where people will take monster models from Monster Hunter and put them in ARK. Capcom stopped that. Copyright and intellectual property rights are taken very serious now.

Originally Posted by bagoyee View Post (Source)
    IGN was right. this game is 4.8/10. should have cost $10. nowhere near enough content, updates, or replay-ability to justify $60. mods would have definitely helped that. there are some very good artists. GTAV has some great mods, some not so great too, but you don't have to use those ones.
    No, just no. IGN is garbage and that review was garbage. This game is worth the $60 I paid for it. Frontier isn't responsible for your lack of creativity or imagination.

Originally Posted by PCMR4Life View Post (Source)
    No, just no. IGN is garbage and that review was garbage. This game is worth the $60 I paid for it. Frontier isn't responsible for your lack of creativity or imagination.
    I agree, IGN are garbage, but sometimes, they get it right it seems. Dunno really, don't frequent their website / reviews.

The game wasn't worth the 49.99 I paid for it. Based on my own experiences, simple as that.
    One day, it might be. Or not.

But, to be honest, modding isn't a factor in that. I wouldn't mind mod support, but don't believe every game has to offer it either.

4.8 is a bit low, I'd have gone for 5 or 6. Put it this way: It's not like the game is unsalvageable, just extremely limited and dull. I do agree that it's definitely not worth the sales price though. A better strategy would have been to sell it for about half the price, but then sell for a few bucks additional maps, dinos etc for people who like what they see but want a less limited, cramped experience.

The mod argument is easy, especially in a game that's vision isn't fully realized. Devs say it's quality when it's in fact the opposite. They would be better served admitting they just don't want to support it.

The leading case in point is Creative Assembly's Total War Franchise. They DO support mods, but certain key parts of the game they won't support mods like world maps and city/castle battle maps. Why? Because back in 2005 when Medieval TW 2 came out moders figure out how to mod everything. And they create huge overhauls like the lord of the Rings total conversion (Called Third age), and Darth Mod, and Stainless Steel, and dozens of others that to this day are 10x better games than anything creative assembly has done since. Including the Warhammer series. If you can squint your eyes a bit, and go DL those mods, you'll quickly get sucked in and realize those mods become some of the best most memorable games you've ever played, if you're into that kind of game.

Speaking from a unique standpoint myself, mods can also block certain creative avenues as devs can be liable for copying mods, much like lego can too (so they made lego ideas), and the leading irony here is most modders mod to make the game they wanted and get it right most of the time and would be more than happy if the dev integrated them... Just like how Creative Assembly hired one of the leading moders for the TW series... and yet, NONE of his mod vision has made its way into a commercial release of any TW series since.

But again, like the "size of dinos" issue, I don't like how this is being communicated. I get Frontier will support this for a long time, but I wish they would stop assuming gamers are not that sharp and just state, they don't want to support mods... But mods will still come eventually, they always do if the moders like the game enough.

Two reasons to disallow mods:

1. Restrictive DRM. They want to lock out anyone from producing content for free that they could otherwise monetize.

2. Online-only multiplayer games with some form of shared world that need to have people playing the same game for interaction/balance purposes.

The quality argument is either total nonsense, or an extension of #1 where they are afraid that poor quality mods will reflect poorly on the game and they'd rather just charge for the high-quality stuff.

Originally Posted by Snowden View Post (Source)
    The mod argument is easy, especially in a game that's vision isn't fully realized. Devs say it's quality when it's in fact the opposite. They would be better served admitting they just don't want to support it.

The leading case in point is Creative Assembly's Total War Franchise. They DO support mods, but certain key parts of the game they won't support mods like world maps and city/castle battle maps. Why? Because back in 2005 when Medieval TW 2 came out moders figure out how to mod everything. And they create huge overhauls like the lord of the Rings total conversion (Called Third age), and Darth Mod, and Stainless Steel, and dozens of others that to this day are 10x better games than anything creative assembly has done since. Including the Warhammer series. If you can squint your eyes a bit, and go DL those mods, you'll quickly get sucked in and realize those mods become some of the best most memorable games you've ever played, if you're into that kind of game.

Speaking from a unique standpoint myself, mods can also block certain creative avenues as devs can be liable for copying mods, much like lego can too (so they made lego ideas), and the leading irony here is most modders mod to make the game they wanted and get it right most of the time and would be more than happy if the dev integrated them... Just like how Creative Assembly hired one of the leading moders for the TW series... and yet, NONE of his mod vision has made its way into a commercial release of any TW series since.

But again, like the "size of dinos" issue, I don't like how this is being communicated. I get Frontier will support this for a long time, but I wish they would stop assuming gamers are not that sharp and just state, they don't want to support mods... But mods will still come eventually, they always do if the moders like the game enough.
    Well that's the thing, I'd prefer they just come out and straight-up say they can't do mods because Universal won't let them. Trying to play the whole "quality suddenly matters, unlike when we were doing the combat animations" bit is pretty insulting. Modders seem to be where all the talent is these days (even in Warhammer TW, with an almost complete lack of customization options, they STILL come out with awesome stuff, making the game playable). It's basically gotten to the point these days that most games need mod support to have any kind of lifespan, but I guess if JWE won't have that we can just go over to Prehistoric Kingdom or something. It's only a matter of time before some other dev, without the ball-and-chain of some movie franchise makes a game like this.

Originally Posted by Morbad View Post (Source)
    2. Online-only multiplayer games with some form of shared world that need to have people playing the same game for interaction/balance purposes.
    GTA does fine. They are very upfront, and every mod site is very upfront that if you use these online you will be banned.

Frontier isn't responsible for your lack of creativity or imagination.
    Except that their game restricts it, which is why it got a 4.8... build a park, go to another island and do that same thing, go to another island and do that same thing, guess what you've beat the game... now, you can go to another island and do the same thing
    You must not be the quickest person if you haven't exhausted your creativity in this game in about 5 hours

Originally Posted by bagoyee View Post (Source)
    Except that their game restricts it, which is why it got a 4.8... build a park, go to another island and do that same thing, go to another island and do that same thing, guess what you've beat the game... now, you can go to another island and do the same thing
    You must not be the quickest person if you haven't exhausted your creativity in this game in about 5 hours
    This game doesn't restrict anything. Restrictions are caused by the player. It's a case of user error.

This game doesn't restrict anything. Restrictions are caused by the player. It's a case of user error.
    Ok then, go and build 3 different paddocks with three different biomes.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12