Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 31 to 36 of 36

Thread: So, I went Mars High

  1. #31
    Have to say, I don't much like those shiny stations. I just don't belong there. My people are miners and factory workers and agricultural labourers. Time was, there were seven pits within about half a mile of where my (21st century) home now stands. The village is so swisscheesed with holes, any kind of building work has to keep stopping to fill it all in. The village is also slightly on fire, but that's another story.

    Anyway, luxury stations aren't for the likes of me. I feel much more at home parking my ship somewhere that hasn't seen a mop or a broom any time lately. Love a good scuffed landing pad, ideally with the odd trailing cable.

  2. #32
    Umm, how can a whole village be "slightly on fire"???

    That had such a Pratchett feel to the whole sentence, quite brilliant

  3. #33
    Originally Posted by Spaceman Si View Post (Source)
    Umm, how can a whole village be "slightly on fire"???

    That had such a Pratchett feel to the whole sentence, quite brilliant
    It's easy. If whole village is "slightly on fire" it means it "mostly on fire but not really"

    Though I remembered Big Clive (an electrician and youtuber from Isle of Man) when he was dissecting a battery (on a napkin!) and it caught fire.
    And his reaction:

    "Oh dear, there's flames. That isn't necessarily quite good."
    And then then he scuttles off to find a pie dish.

    It was quite cute and hilarious.

  4. #34
    Ha! Thanks. It's not much of a fire, hence the slightly. Just one of the old mines has been smouldering away for a couple of years now, and will continue to do so for... well, until it's run out of fuel. Underground mine fires can burn for a long time. Fortunately, this seems to be contained and nobody's in any real danger, except possibly for a golf course which has lost half of the sixth hole.

  5. #35
    Originally Posted by RolloTreadway View Post (Source)
    nobody's in any real danger, except possibly for a golf course which has lost half of the sixth hole.
    Priceless

    Glad it is actually all sort of ok, and not causing any genuine peril. If it's a mine fire it can certainly be quite some while before it goes out. There is a landfill in the area here which has been slowly generating methane and setting itself on fire occasionally for years, though it is apparently going to be cleared up and turned into a public park. I'm not quite sure how, but optimism is a wonderful human trait, I think.

  6. #36
    Originally Posted by RolloTreadway View Post (Source)
    Ha! Thanks. It's not much of a fire, hence the slightly. Just one of the old mines has been smouldering away for a couple of years now, and will continue to do so for... well, until it's run out of fuel. Underground mine fires can burn for a long time. Fortunately, this seems to be contained and nobody's in any real danger, except possibly for a golf course which has lost half of the sixth hole.
    Originally Posted by Spaceman Si View Post (Source)
    Priceless

    Glad it is actually all sort of ok, and not causing any genuine peril. If it's a mine fire it can certainly be quite some while before it goes out. There is a landfill in the area here which has been slowly generating methane and setting itself on fire occasionally for years, though it is apparently going to be cleared up and turned into a public park. I'm not quite sure how, but optimism is a wonderful human trait, I think.
    Well I hope someone works out how to run a heat engine off the coal fire and use the methane as a fuel and cut down on the bills.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123