Thread: Ship with best jump range.

Ship with best jump range.

For some reason I had in my head the Clipper and Clopper were the best ships for travelling long distances fast, but according to Coriolis that honour is given to the DB Explorer, is that correct?

I don't quite understand why the tourist ships aren't at the top of the list.

Anaconda can reach 80-ish with a Guardian FSD booster. It is still the Jump King.

Tourist ships are, well, luxurious. But not great travelers. Orca can be a decent exploration ship, though, with work.

Originally Posted by tclancey View Post (Source)
    For some reason I had in my head the Clipper and Clopper were the best ships for travelling long distances fast, but according to Coriolis that honour is given to the DB Explorer, is that correct? I don't quite understand why the tourist ships aren't at the top of the list.
    Like contemporary ships - tourist [space] ships are not designed for long uninterrupted haul, they're designed for multiple stops [at different ports] along the way. Exploration ships like the DB and Asp have great jump ranges, tho you may also engineer and strip an Anaconda uo to about 70ly jumps

If you only look at Coriolis, you may miss a few things that aren't evident on first glance.
    - the ratio between FSD size and possible fuel scoop size. The DBX can jump far with the built-in FSD, but only can take a scoop one class below the FSD size, which means you'll spend a long time scooping. With the AspX, it's the other way round.
    - optional internals for fitting a Guardian FSD booster, which will push the 'conda towards the 80 ly mark
    - fuel tank size. The Beluga (e.g.) comes with an enormous fuel tank, which means that usually you won't have to refuel/scoop at all. With a Guardian FSD booster, she can make the trip out to the Pleiades without refuelling.

So, it also depends on what you consider "long distance" - and "fast". Do you just want to go from Sol to Maia in under 8 minutes, or do you want to go from the Bubble to Sgr A* in less than 2 hours?
    Oh, and while we're at it: or do you want to go from Sol to Colonia without a fuel scoop? That takes a little longer, though.

Originally Posted by Ashnak View Post (Source)
    If you only look at Coriolis, you may miss a few things that aren't evident on first glance.
    - the ratio between FSD size and possible fuel scoop size. The DBX can jump far with the built-in FSD, but only can take a scoop one class below the FSD size, which means you'll spend a long time scooping. With the AspX, it's the other way round.
    - optional internals for fitting a Guardian FSD booster, which will push the 'conda towards the 80 ly mark
    - fuel tank size. The Beluga (e.g.) comes with an enormous fuel tank, which means that usually you won't have to refuel/scoop at all. With a Guardian FSD booster, she can make the trip out to the Pleiades without refuelling.

So, it also depends on what you consider "long distance" - and "fast". Do you just want to go from Sol to Maia in under 8 minutes, or do you want to go from the Bubble to Sgr A* in less than 2 hours?
    Oh, and while we're at it: or do you want to go from Sol to Colonia without a fuel scoop? That takes a little longer, though.
    It’s time I tried the Neutron highway. Sol(ish) to Colonia in two hours is a hugely attractive proposition when you just need to get there. All of my previous visits have been a very long night, with a noticeable effect the next day, or an entire day when I’ve had the time to spare.

I’ll have to take a cheap Sidey out to practice.

OP - If your fairly new to the game the Guardian FSD may be a little way down your list of things to do just yet but it does bring a number of ships into the ‘explorer’ range if it’s something that intrigues you. The Krait is a popular ship to put the FSD booster in as you can easily push the jump range into the high 50s’ and low 60s’ ly jump range.

My Orca does 60ly with FSD booster, SRV and 600ms boosts. But it has lots of engineering and as you can see no room for the AFMU.

https://coriolis.io/outfit/orca?code...20Sea%20VII%20

Thanks folks, that's all good information.

I've been thinking of getting something to travel long distance as fast as possible, if I want cartography I'll take the Asp, or if I can be brave enough a Cobra.

There are some places I wan't to visit for screenshots without spending a fortnight getting there!

I fly a Clipper. I love it more than is healthy, but its jump range isn't by any means exceptional.

Originally Posted by Simon Templar View Post (Source)
    I fly a Clipper. I love it more than is healthy, but its jump range isn't by any means exceptional.
    This. I flew my Clipper to Sag A*, Colonia and back. 37ly range pre-guardian booster isn't the best, but the Clipper makes more than up for it in style. The cockpit view is unparalleled, it has good SC handling and looks awesome in screenshots. Love it. The size 7 scoop makes filling up the (admittedly too small) fuel tank a breeze. Although I have to confess my next exploration trip will propably take place in a Krait.

Originally Posted by tclancey View Post (Source)
    Thanks folks, that's all good information.
    I've been thinking of getting something to travel long distance as fast as possible, if I want cartography I'll take the Asp, or if I can be brave enough a Cobra.

There are some places I wan't to visit for screenshots without spending a fortnight getting there!
    If you want heavily engineered brave cartography I give you the Bottle Rocket.

https://coriolis.edcd.io/outfit/haul...MA28QgIwV0A%3D

51Ly jump range Hauler.

Originally Posted by aRJay View Post (Source)
    If you want heavily engineered brave cartography I give you the Bottle Rocket.

https://coriolis.edcd.io/outfit/haul...MA28QgIwV0A%3D

51Ly jump range Hauler.
    Bump that power plant up to a 2A. Add Palin's G5 enhanced drives and you've got yourself a 700ms 48ly little monster

Edit: You know that sounds like a fun little taxi. Might have to build one

This build gives you close to 60 LY jump range with a minimum amount of engineering. I use it to fly between my engineers and for collecting engineering materials so you could get more range if you take the stuff for collecting engineering materials out.

https://coriolis.io/outfit/diamondba...MA28QgIwV0A%3D

I first explored in an Anaconda, which handled like a pig in supercruise. It can take a lot of stuff, but is frustrating to fly. Then, I started using an Asp, which I found to be a bit better. You get a nice view from it.Now, I use a DBX because it's the nicest to fly, it's dead easy to land anywhere you want, but best of all, it runs nice and cool, so you don't need to worry about heat damage or running out of heatsinks. All three can jump 70 LY now with the right engineering. The difference in jump range is so small that it's not really a consideration. Some say that you can carry more stuff in an Anaconda, but I can't think of any stuff I'd want to carry when I'm exploring other than scanners. You don't need stuff for a DBX and it's by far the cheapest.

Here's what I'd use. If you don't have the engineers unlocked or the materials to do it like this, that would apply to the Asp and Anaconda too, so they'd still all end up equal.:
    https://coriolis.edcd.io/outfit/diamondback_explorer?code=A0p0tdFfldddsdf5-------1P32--2f2i.Iw18UA%3D%3D.Aw18UA%3D%3D.H4sIAAAAAAAAA2P8Z8fAwPCXFUj8qQcSHAG%2F%2F%2F%2Fnf6DHwCC2gYWBQegCOwPDf6Z%2FEnBFZUCCH6RI5MGf%2F%2F9FP3AxMEiAVCpPePH%2F%2F3%2Fmf1JwlRUglSq%2F%2Fv8X2sHNwCBSIwpUeQco85%2FlnyFIEQtIPuEDUH7LI6BW1n%2BWcK0tQIKT59%2F%2F%2F1xTBBkYFEEsJRBLFcRSA7H%2Bs%2F1LgCnnr3gDNOTAg%2F%2F%2F9Wy%2BAU36zwAGAG6B%2B67bAAAA.EweloBhBmSQUwIYHMA28QgIwV0A%3D

Originally Posted by d8veh View Post (Source)
    I first explored in an Anaconda, which handled like a pig in supercruise. It can take a lot of stuff, but is frustrating to fly. Then, I started using an Asp, which I found to be a bit better. You get a nice view from it.Now, I use a DBX because it's the nicest to fly, it's dead easy to land anywhere you want, but best of all, it runs nice and cool, so you don't need to worry about heat damage or running out of heatsinks. All three can jump 70 LY now with the right engineering. The difference in jump range is so small that it's not really a consideration. Some say that you can carry more stuff in an Anaconda, but I can't think of any stuff I'd want to carry when I'm exploring other than scanners. You don't need stuff for a DBX and it's by far the cheapest.

Here's what I'd use. If you don't have the engineers unlocked or the materials to do it like this, that would apply to the Asp and Anaconda too, so they'd still all end up equal.:
    https://coriolis.edcd.io/outfit/diamondback_explorer?code=A0p0tdFfldddsdf5-------1P32--2f2i.Iw18UA%3D%3D.Aw18UA%3D%3D.H4sIAAAAAAAAA2P8Z8fAwPCXFUj8qQcSHAG%2F%2F%2F%2Fnf6DHwCC2gYWBQegCOwPDf6Z%2FEnBFZUCCH6RI5MGf%2F%2F9FP3AxMEiAVCpPePH%2F%2F3%2Fmf1JwlRUglSq%2F%2Fv8X2sHNwCBSIwpUeQco85%2FlnyFIEQtIPuEDUH7LI6BW1n%2BWcK0tQIKT59%2F%2F%2F1xTBBkYFEEsJRBLFcRSA7H%2Bs%2F1LgCnnr3gDNOTAg%2F%2F%2F9Wy%2BAU36zwAGAG6B%2B67bAAAA.EweloBhBmSQUwIYHMA28QgIwV0A%3D
    Another vote here for the DBX, I have done minimal engineering on mine, still have all the modules A rated and at maximum size and still manage a 51 ly jump. It is my go to ship for exploring, whether that is a long trip, a short trip or even just down to the surface of a planet for a bit of SRV fun.

Love that damn ship!

Originally Posted by M00ka View Post (Source)
    Another vote here for the DBX, I have done minimal engineering on mine, still have all the modules A rated and at maximum size and still manage a 51 ly jump. It is my go to ship for exploring, whether that is a long trip, a short trip or even just down to the surface of a planet for a bit of SRV fun.

Love that damn ship!
    The DBX has a huge fuel tank too. I went 293 LY yesterday on a less than a single tank of fuel, I don't even need a fuel scoop! I put one on just because it seems appropriate for this kind of ship and it’s kind of fun to scoop fuel as well.