Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Woe is me! (Cheap Aldi beer)

Originally Posted by Winterwalker View Post (Source)
    I once drank a 110 proof (brandy by name of Stroh, allegedly illegal in Sweden. Don't know why I know that, we were in Nottingham at the time)...
    Stroh? That would have been Austrian Rum1, not brandy. After a bit of googling (what is it whith that "proof" anyways?), that would have been Stroh 54, i.e. 54% alcohol. There's also Stroh 60 and Stroh 80. That stuff is not usually for drinking, but for mixing, creating flaming drinks (like Feuerzangenbowle) or setting up a Rumtopf (fruit marinated in rum, usually set up during summer when the various fruit and berries are ripe, then consumed around and after christmas. Very delicious - and extremely dangerous).

1 Well, it's called Rum. As Austria isn't exactly known for its sugarcane plantations or overseas trade, the traditional receipe contained alcohol (lots), colourings and spices.

Originally Posted by TheLawful View Post (Source)
    Shudders at the thought of 4.5% beer

O7,
    My problem is I drink at a fairly fast pace regardless of what I drink. If I drink say some premium Belgium beer and start at say 6pm by 8:30 I will be blitzed and 9:30 in bed (been there done that).. so I generally have 2 or 3 choice beers to start me off and then move over to a lower alcohol 4 - 4.5% session beer

Well, in Germany, you would have trouble to find anything below 4.8% at all. ~4.8-5.5% is standard here, in particular Bavarian choices can go beyond 6%. My personal 'welcome home' favorite is Carlsberg Elephant (7.5%), btw. The version they ship in North Germany, the Danish one somehow doesn't taste right.

O7,

Op, that sucks.

Maybe time to switch drinks? Aldi do still do their cooking cider at 1.70 for 750ml per bottle. 7.5% deliciousness.

Originally Posted by Ninj View Post (Source)
    Op, that sucks.

Maybe time to switch drinks? Aldi do still do their cooking cider at 1.70 for 750ml per bottle. 7.5% deliciousness.
    I... Need to get some. Still? That's the best stuff!

The best thing is Aldi is the gin. Regularly wins awards, so it does.

Originally Posted by Un1k0rn View Post (Source)
    I... Need to get some. Still? That's the best stuff!
    I agree, still is awesome! This one is sparkling, but not overly so.

Originally Posted by Spacebaboy View Post (Source)
    The best thing is Aldi is the gin. Regularly wins awards, so it does.
    I always get Aldi gin, even before it started winning awards. Superb stuff. Nothing like a Gin and Tonic and lots of ice in the hot weather. So refreshing.

Originally Posted by Asp Explorer View Post (Source)
    After being stuck in the US for nearly a decade - I even miss Tennents
    I cannot repeat here how my Uncle referred to Tennents Lager when he ordered a pint of it for someone else as part of a round - and the barman knew exactly what he was referring to....

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123