Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Woe is me! (Cheap Aldi beer)

Originally Posted by Max Factor View Post (Source)
    Ahhh, the days of drinking Kestrel Super Lager and Diamond White Cider.
    I was too cheap for diamond White. Megawhite (same crap just in 3l bottles) is what ruined cider for me.

Oh and anyone remember maddog 20:20 bleugh...... Oh and thunderbird fortified wine. I used to get drunk on that when I was 16 (26 years ago!!!)

Originally Posted by Mad Mike View Post (Source)
    Oh and anyone remember maddog 20:20 bleugh...... Oh and thunderbird fortified wine. I used to get drunk on that when I was 16 (26 years ago!!!)
    I once drank a 110 proof (brandy by name of Stroh, allegedly illegal in Sweden. Don't know why I know that, we were in Nottingham at the time) Anyway, Maddog 20/20 was used as a mixer and needless to say .. rather messy. And I do say drank but I mean, one glass only before the probable ambulance.

Also yes, Thunderbird Wine Trivial Pursuit as pre-pub sharpener, the "Blast Away" Diamond White / Cast Away fruit cooler aperitif (slash cocktail tastes like Lilt, three pints and you're anybody's) and at one party two bottles of Bailey's Irish Cream on which you should be fine, until you try to go outside. Thank goodness these days the youths are more responsibule!

A stout for me. Not always Guinness, though ginger beer gives me a poise advantage, later into the 6 nation match day proceedings lately. Thing is .. I can still drink like I did when I was 20 but my body, can't.

/hic

I used to think that too but it's not true, it is all in the mind. IfI find the link, a blind taste was made under controlled conditions and the myth about beer tasting different out of a can was debunked ...... Drinking beer out of a can definitely had a negative effect on the experience but pouring into a glass, or out of a bottle, nope!. .

Look at it this way ....... Draft lagers all ultimately come out of a giant can anyway. (Of course you won't believe me, none of my friends entrenched in this view do either )

https://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/1575730
    Yes, it's like the Coca Cola, no difference between a glass bottle, a plastic bottle, a can

Im quite partial to some Wainwrights Golden Ale

However nothing quite beats Spitfire Ales Advertisements

Thatcher's Katy Cider for a hangover free pee up.

Originally Posted by Necronaught View Post (Source)
    Thatcher's Katy Cider for a hangover free pee up.
    Oh man... That stuff is lovely!

Cider beats beer any day.

Aldi have stopped selling my "cooking lager".
    It was the same price as the normal fosters/Carling pish (2.99 for 4x500ml cans) but was a decent 4.5% pilsner.

I contacted Aldi to see if it is temporary but no Rheinbacher is no longer being sold in cans and the bottles are 30% more expensive. I now need to find another cooking lager.
    Originally Posted by Max Factor View Post (Source)
    That is a disaster. It wasn't bad beer either.
    Albeit there is a very good local brewery in Rheinbach, the brand "Rheinbacher" is brewed by the Krombacher Brewery specially for Aldi (not available in German Aldi's, most possibly because of the brand name), even the label is very similar to the Krombacher label.

I used to think that too but it's not true, it is all in the mind. IfI find the link, a blind taste was made under controlled conditions and the myth about beer tasting different out of a can was debunked ...... Drinking beer out of a can definitely had a negative effect on the experience but pouring into a glass, or out of a bottle, nope!. .

Look at it this way ....... Draft lagers all ultimately come out of a giant can anyway. (Of course you won't believe me, none of my friends entrenched in this view do either )

https://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/1575730

Still would prefer this over a can every day. It's not about the taste it's about the art! Yes, beer is art, it's more than just some stuff you gobble down from a can, at least here in bavaria.

Originally Posted by Jacques d'Orleans View Post (Source)
    Still would prefer this over a can every day. It's not about the taste it's about the art! Yes, beer is art, it's more than just some stuff you gobble down from a can, at least here in bavaria.
    This... This is what gets me.

I don't think there's a drink anywhere that looks as delicious and refreshing as beer. But as soon as I taste the stuff...

Cider, on the other hand, is delightfully sweet, and is the nectar of the gods.

And also the conviviality of the foam in a beautiful glass, and the visibility of the color of the liquid and the sparkling bubbles

You can pour the can into a glass to get the same effect.

Albeit there is a very good local brewery in Rheinbach, the brand "Rheinbacher" is brewed by the Krombacher Brewery specially for Aldi (not available in German Aldi's, most possibly because of the brand name), even the label is very similar to the Krombacher label.
    Sounds about right. Still not bad lager/beer though if you go on taste alone.

Originally Posted by Patrick_68000 View Post (Source)
    And also the conviviality of the foam in a beautiful glass, and the visibility of the color of the liquid and the sparkling bubbles
    Half a mo.,.. no one (sane ) would say DRINKING beer out of a can is something which should ever be done outside of desperation.

My can of beer will look exactly the same as those tasty beers when poured in a glass (I like a nice head too) . As for cider being better than beer..... To each their own. mind you I don't like wine either... I am all about the grain... I can drink most beer but I abused cider too much and wine is just horrible

My can of beer will look exactly the same as those tasty beers when poured in a glass (I like a nice head too)
    It's not me who will say otherwise

Originally Posted by Patrick_68000 View Post (Source)
    You can pour the beer into a glass

Sorry I quoted wrong post

Originally Posted by Bigmaec View Post (Source)
    *shudders* at the thought of canned beer.
    Shudders at the thought of 4.5% beer

O7,

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast