Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: "You can't believe that, it was on the Internet!"

Originally Posted by Winterwalker View Post (Source)
    double check sources
    Always, but that applies at least a much to offline information.

Originally Posted by Morbad View Post (Source)
    Always, but that applies at least a much to offline information.
    The crossover is fascinating to me; physical data storage and all the problems that come with that.
    We've already lost so much scientific data and various records, simply because the storage method itself deteriorated or we no longer have the hard/software to read it.

Meanwhile legible, ancient texts are still around.

Originally Posted by Sir.Tj View Post (Source)
    Mum???
    WRONG GENDER!!!

Originally Posted by Bob Lighthouse View Post (Source)
    Meanwhile legible, ancient texts are still around.
    Some of them. For every thousand year old text we have a complete copy of, there are probably ten more that aren't complete, a hundred we have only references to, and a thousand gone from all memory.

The amount of knowledge lost to the sands of time is one of the few things in this world that actually depresses me.

Some of them. For every thousand year old text we have a complete copy of, there are probably ten more that aren't complete, a hundred we have only references to, and a thousand gone from all memory.

The amount of knowledge lost to the sands of time is one of the few things in this world that actually depresses me.

No doubt and your numbers are likely quite conservative.
    Even thinking about books I've personally lost or somehow ruined pains me!

It's a lot to consider in the digital age.
    Book burning and widespread economic strife take on a whole new dimension.
    Cloud? What cloud?

Poof.

Originally Posted by Hell Razor5543 View Post (Source)
    WRONG GENDER!!!
    I blame T.J. however; if you are not happy, re-assignment is optional across most of the planet.

Like the Roman Dodecahedron.

Eighty per cent of scientific data are lost within two decades, according to a new study that tracks the accessibility of data over time.

The culprits? Old e-mail addresses and obsolete storage devices.

For the analysis, published today in Current Biology, Vines and colleagues attempted to collect original research data from a random set of 516 studies published between 1991 and 2011. They found that while all datasets were available two years after publication, the odds of obtaining the underlying data dropped by 17 per cent per year after that.

“I don’t think anybody expects to easily obtain data from a 50-year-old paper, but to find that almost all the datasets are gone at 20 years was a bit of a surprise.”
    https://news.ubc.ca/2013/12/19/scien...alarming-rate/

You do realize that the overwhelming bulk of publicly available human knowledge is on the internet, right?

If the rule of thumb is that if it's online it's not real, then nothing is real...which can be argued, but is probably more of a philosophical statement than what the 'olds' meant in this case.
    It's also true that the overwhelming bulk of human misinformation is on the internet.

What the hell does that make me then?
    A womble with snazzy trainers?

You do realize that the overwhelming bulk of publicly available human knowledge is on the internet, right?If the rule of thumb is that if it's online it's not real, then nothing is real...which can be argued, but is probably more of a philosophical statement than what the 'olds' meant in this case.
    Unfortunately,that's part of the problem.There's so much that finding the stuff you want is made more difficult by the sheer volume of data that has to be trawled.And if goggle becomes the de facto standard for knowledge delivery,we are in serious trouble.2 centavos.

Originally Posted by phong View Post (Source)
    Unfortunately,that's part of the problem.There's so much that finding the stuff you want is made more difficult by the sheer volume of data that has to be trawled.And if goggle becomes the de facto standard for knowledge delivery,we are in serious trouble.2 centavos.
    I would not trust google to tell me the time in a room full of clocks....
    question everything!!!

What the hell does that make me then?
    A burden on the state

Isn't it wonderful that we live in a time when parents can be publically humiliated by their offspring in front of a group of world wide strangers for minor eccentricity. Progress eh?

Originally Posted by Hell Razor5543 View Post (Source)
    I think I came out of the Ark!!!
    I help build it!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123