Thread: Ship for passengers.

Ship for passengers.

What would people suggest as a first ship for passenger travel? I know nothing about the subject other than reading a couple of posts, so very green.

What did you choose, did you choose the right thing, did you upgrade and/or why?

All info very welcome.

Thanks folks.

You don't need to know much. Passengers are basically cargo. Loud, demanding cargo, provided.
    I'm using Orca or Beluga, because I like those ships, but you can use anything really. (though only Dolphin, Orca and Beluga can fit the VIP cabins)
    So fly what's comfortable to you. Larger jump range is an advantage. You'll need the cabins (obviously), Shields (cargo doesn't like being shaken around) and one cargo hold (for stuff).

Depends if you want to do bulk/VIP transport or VIP sightseeing. Bulk transport for example is 54 First Class Passengers want transport to where ever. Those on average are the highest paying. The transport missions add to your Trade rank. I use either the Cutter or Conda for those. You'll see First Class, Business and Economy class transports. VIP transport is similar but VIPs don't share modules. Meaning the 54 passengers will cover all the modules available. One VIP mission might ask for a six person transport so you put them in a ten person module. That module is used up. The four spots are gone. VIPs could also be criminals and if you get scanned by security you're in trouble. Look for criminal status in the mission description. Best to just avoid those. Not worth the little extra payout.

VIP sightseeing missions I use the Orca with a single first class cabin. Feel free to stack the missions with more cabins but it's a lot of back and forth flying if you do. Those add to your Explorer rank. The mission giver will ask to see two or more sights around the galaxy (sometimes one stop) and pretty much you just take them there and scan the Tourist beacon they want to see. Since some of the sights can be a few hundred LY away I use the Orca because it's got a good jump range.....and it's luxurious cruise ship. You still have to be careful with picking up criminals or passengers that don't like to be scanned. (same goes for VIP Transport) They'll either get you killed or just eject and failing the mission if you're scanned too often. Again best to avoid criminals or passengers that don't like scanning. Also the passengers can be "very demanding" which means they want you to buy them a washing machine or something dumb for the trip. You'll get the notification they want something.....just ignore it completely. You can read it but don't click no if you don't want to do it. Just click away. They get mad if you say no and could possibly eject which fails the mission.

Originally Posted by Speedcuffs View Post (Source)
    Python.
    Those are great for station rescues

Not many details to go on OP

Assuming you're new and have limited resources, I'd recommend an Asp or a T-6 with First Class cabins to start. Either have enough room and range to generate profits.

Originally Posted by GJ51 View Post (Source)
    Not many details to go on OP

Assuming your new and have limited resources, I'd recommend an Asp or a T-6 with First Class cabins to start. Either have enough room and range to generate profits.
    Yes as GJ51 says, stick ether Economy, Business or First Class into any correspondingly sized module slot on any ship you fancy (or have.) When you have the spare cash or really want a passenger ship you could buy something like a Saud Kruger ship and then you can add a Luxury cabin to the list above.

Don’t overlook the criminal/wanted/scan sensitive types. You can’t be scanned in supercruise so it’s only going in and out of stations and when you drop out of SC to scan the tourist beacon. You can (and should have a) plan for these times, having a button or key mapped to ‘next destination’ is a massively useful tactic generally but also for these types of missions. It saves you opening the GalMap and plotting a route whilst sitting in a vulnerable position. Just hit the button/key and boost away from the tourist beacon and hit the FSD. Being Allied to the mission giver provides more rewards but Allied with everyone at the station means you can get away with an astonishing amount without being scanned. Heatsinks and staying below 100 m/s also help avoid station scans.

Don’t forget to check the journey distance and whether you need a fuel scoop

I did my first passenger runs in a Cobra MKIII. It's fine for those Sightseeing type missions.

Really, it's just about having space for some cabins, and a bit of jump range. Nearly any ship can do passenger missions.

If you're talking about maximum efficiency, though, I'm not your guy.

I used to do passenger transport missions, made my first 100 million doing it. I found a station with a lot of people that would pay a million plus to do transport runs to a single system. People that pay a million and up seems to happen because the run from the star to the station was about 160 LS which takes a while. I could usually find enough people to fill every compartment in my Type-7.

I started with a Type-6 then moved up to a Type-7.

Just bought an orca with my first wedge made from passenger runs in a dolphin between robigo and sothis bit gutted as not sure if I should of bought something cheaper?

Originally Posted by Johnno1974 View Post (Source)
    Just bought an orca with my first wedge made from passenger runs in a dolphin between robigo and sothis bit gutted as not sure if I should of bought something cheaper?
    Orca's a great ship. You'll grow to like her, I think. She's fast, good looking. Even makes for a great explorer if you decide to switch professions.

Cheers Chris you put my mind at rest Iím just looking at kitting it out I reckon Iíll need another 40 mil to do that , I was thinking about using my dolphin to earn some more cash( as thatís kitted out already ) or could I strip some off the gear outta that onto my orca?

The AspX is still the omnitool for new-ish players. You can do everything with it, it is extremely versatile and has a great default jump range. It is a great ship for running missions, exploration, trading, community goals etc. until you can afford the intermediate omnitool that is called the Python. Personally, I went straight from AspX to Anaconda and got the Python later on but YMMV.

I would only get one of the dedicated passenger ships (Dolphin, Beluga, Orca) as a luxury addition to your fleet like when you are really bored and just want to buy a new ship because you can.

Until then I would recommend to save up the cash for an AspX. Make sure you have enough left over for insurance and for a grade 5A FSD (expensive for a new-ish player so watch out), then put 'D' grade components in the rest of the slots ('D' are the lightest weight components so your jump range will be the highest which is good for passenger missions, especially if you also plan on doing sightseeing trips).

A build like this should work pretty well for starters. If you want to do longer range (sightseeing) missions then don't forget to install a fuel scoop. Note the price and insurance/rebuy cost. In better safe than sorry fashion I would only buy this when you have at least 17 million in the bank.

Originally Posted by Johnno1974 View Post (Source)
    The Orca is a very nice ship to fly, it handles well, can be very fast, works for exploration, I have one I set up as a miner. So stick with it.

I started with the Dolphin. Made some credit and then upgraded to the Python. Then made enough in reasonable time to get my Anaconda. The Anaconda is a great ship that offers flexibility in cargo, trade and passenger. I kit it out depending on what I feel like doing. The Python was kept for mining. And now use the Krait for combat.

Going back to a dedicated ship for passenger and trialling the Orca.

Once I rank, I want to give the Imperial Cutter a go too.