Thread: GMP: Where do the NGC names come from?

GMP: Where do the NGC names come from?

There are several planetary nebulas with an NGC name. For example, NGC 6153, NGC 6445, and NGC 6970.

I found out that this "NGC" designation is from the New General Catalogue.

I know that the Galactic Mapping Project is all user-submitted. But are these nebulas linked to actual nebulas in real life or are they just pulled randomly to make the game feel more realistic?

That video is awesome. But it doesn't really answer the question, given that EDSM names are user submitted.

Perhaps I have my answer. But it seems that players are choosing actual nebula designations not just randomly picking numbers. I just don't know if they are connecting real nebulas to in-game nebula out randomly picking names.

Looking at the map, there are stars with names that look like "Blivet AB-C d1-2". Those are all procedurally generated names. Everything else ("Sol", "Polaris", "NGC 6445", "Great Annihilator", etc) represent real-world objects, and were hand-created by Frontier.

GMP names are user-submitted, but one of the guidelines of the project is that we aren't renaming real-world objects. You can open up the in-game map and search for all those real-world names, like NGC 6445.

Originally Posted by Satsuma View Post (Source)
    GMP names are user-submitted, but one of the guidelines of the project is that we aren't renaming real-world objects. You can open up the in-game map and search for all those real-world names, like NGC 6445.
    Since you mentioned it, I had to try it. It seems your 66% right (out of the 3 links I have above, at least).

What I see is that 2 out of 3 are searchable on the system map. Also, 2 out of 3 have links that lead back to the frontier forums, showing where users submitted them. Though, all of them are real-world names.

My reason for asking this question was two-fold. First, I wanted to see if I could use a simple name (NGC 12345) when I find new nebulas. Second, I wanted to know if there's some technique to make sure I wasn't mis-naming nebulas that have real-world counterparts.

But given how variable the naming is (sometimes system-map-searchable and sometimes having forum links), it seems that people randomly chose real NGC designations for when they found in-game nebulas. It's a bit of a relief to know that I don't have to make sure that new nebulas don't have to line up with real-world ones.

Also, I'm less worried about it since I found a naming convention that I think will stick. (Computer scientists.)

Thanks!

Originally Posted by galaban View Post (Source)
    But given how variable the naming is (sometimes system-map-searchable and sometimes having forum links), it seems that people randomly chose real NGC designations for when they found in-game nebulas. It's a bit of a relief to know that I don't have to make sure that new nebulas don't have to line up with real-world ones.
    That's disappointing, if that's the case. It would be better to make up a new and interesting name than just to fake an NGC one.

I mean NebbyMcNebface would be better, in my eyes, than a fraudulent NGC 12345.

(but hey, whatever... )

Is that a thing actually done? If so, then it's not just disappointing, but also misleading. In my opinion, the GMP ought to have a guideline against that.

On the other hand, coming up with a fictional catalogue for Elite might be good too. Question is, which one will be EGC 1?

Originally Posted by galaban View Post (Source)
    Since you mentioned it, I had to try it. It seems your 66% right (out of the 3 links I have above, at least).

What I see is that 2 out of 3 are searchable on the system map. Also, 2 out of 3 have links that lead back to the frontier forums, showing where users submitted them. Though, all of them are real-world names.
    If you search the system names (rather than the NGC number) then all three are labelled on the Galmap with the NGC reference.

NGC 6970 isn't searchable because BD+01 3979 is actually NGC 6790. It can be found on the Galmap with the right name

To add onto what Iain said, one of the limitations of the in-game map is that everything has a single name, whereas objects in the real world often have many names. Case in point NGC 6790, which is also BD+01 3979.

My favorite site for resolving these things is Simbad. It's an astronomy data system from the Strassbourg astronomical data center, and it features (among many other things) the ability to search for objects by any of their identifiers. It will show all the other major identifiers for an object, as well. Here's an example: http://simbad.u-strasbg.fr/simbad/si...=SIMBAD+search